Fall Skating Fashion Speculation

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by edonice, Jun 23, 2011.

1. edonice

edonice New Member

As a lover of skating AND fashion, I’ve always anxiously looked forward to the Grand Prix series just to see what the skaters are wearing. These off-season boards have been full of speculation about and suggestions for music choices, coaching changes, etc. How about fall skating fashion, too, just for fun?

For example, here’s what I’d love to see on the US ladies (with about three feet of skirt chopped off):

Alissa Czisny’s dresses this year really complemented her skating, because they highlighted her grace and flow. This Lela Rose dress would move nicely with her, is simple enough not to overpower her, and will also give her frame some structure since Alissa is thin: http://tinyurl.com/6f672xt

Rachael Flatt’s dresses are heavily dependent on sequins, chiffon, and v-necks, I think in an effort to help her look slimmer. But she’s a curvy skater. I’d rather that she embrace her body than try to compensate for it. This Carolina Herrera dress is structured, with a simple rhinestone accent. The bright color would also look nice on her, but the muted orange is more sophisticated than the primary colors she’s been choosing: http://tinyurl.com/5wse7oj This Monique Lhuillier would also be a strong choice for her: http://tinyurl.com/6bamb5x

I know Mirai loves pink, so this Jason Wu dress would look great on her, and the chiffon skirt would show just how fast she skates: http://tinyurl.com/5scypga But she also has a great upper body and long legs, so she can easily wear a dress to highlight that. This Carolina Herrera dress would look stunning and mature on her: http://tinyurl.com/6etoa59

This Marchesa would look amazing on Ashley Wagner for her Black Swan program: http://tinyurl.com/5vgffql I also like this Lela Rose for her: http://tinyurl.com/6gk2948 She has strong shoulders, and the sweep of chiffon would soften them.

I know Christina Gao has been going for a more mature look. I think this Monique Lhuillier would look sophisticated on her and also age appropriate: http://tinyurl.com/6xe3dys

A lot of Agnes Zawadski’s dresses have so much going on that it’s hard to see her. I’d love to see Agnes Zawadski in a simple and strong dress like this Monique Lhuillier: http://tinyurl.com/6fajbpb

And finally, this Elie Saab would look youthful and elegant on Amanda Dobbs: http://tinyurl.com/62pybkw

That’s what I’ve got! Any other ideas?

2. RockTheTassel

RockTheTassel Well-Known Member

I love your ideas. :)

I'd love to see new looks on Agnes and Rachael. Agnes needs something less complicated with more elegance. Rachael should try new colors. I think she'd look excellent in darker colors, like deep purple, dark blue, forest green, or black.

3. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

My idea is that skating dresses are not just fashion, but are also outfits for extremely demanding athletic competition. As such, they have to meet a lot of requirements that runway dresses don't - e.g. some stretch/give in the fabric, skirts cut so they don't wrap around legs or fly into the skater's face, trim that isn't going to fall off or be distracting, shoulder straps that aren't going to fall down, bodices cut high enough to avoid a wardrobe malfunction no matter what the skater does.

I'm sure I'm not the only person here who can testify that off-the-rack dresses made for everyday wear might look like they would be great skating dress, but which turn out to be totally horrible and impractical once you put them on and try to skate in them. So while
    I appreciate the general idea of what you're getting at, I have to say that for almost every one of your choices I can see something that would cause a problem for a skating dress following the same design.

ETA: And it's also important that the dress has something to do with the theme/mood of the music or program. So even the nicest designer dress that would look fabulous on a particular skater would be wrong if it clashed with what the program was about.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  4. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Spin Alissa Spin!!!

Many of your choices were perfect. I like when the skaters costumes don't look like they are 2 sizes too small.

Alissa's longer length dresses accentuated her body. She's always looked stunning though, whatever she wore.

Mirai's costumes always seemed too short and too high-waisted, making them them seem a size or 2 too small. I'd like to see something longer on her.

The black style of dress you chose for Rachael would be really flattering for her body. Especially the neckline. Rachael's skin tone makes the color of her dresses important.

Agnes would look good in anything Alissa has worn. She needs a softer look. But I did like her LP dress this season.

The Gao always looked well put together to me. I like her style.

Wagner's costumes seem to be a bit "overdone". It seemed like they started out simple and nice, but so much was added to the dress that it became "too much". I'd love to see her in Sotnikova's black tutu though.

ETA: Plus "WHITE SKATES" look classy. Get rid of the OTB tights!!!. I can't say that enough.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  5. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Nice research! Complete with the links.

6. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

I wonder if any skaters watch Project Runway. If they did it seems like they would look at their own dresses and go hmmmm... I know that a lot of skaters just cannot afford to have Gucci or Michael Kors design a dress for them. Sasha Cohen was in much better financial standing and had Badgley Mischa (sp) do a dress for her and she wore it enough to get her moneys worth. But, it seems like costume designers have hard coded in their DNA to do these cheap looking tacky costumes for skaters. I have little hope for the Russian skaters but the American girls can do better. Carolina Kostner uses Cavalli and to be honest i really dont like her glittered up looks. Michelle's Vera Wang creations were always stunning. Evan should have sticked with Dior though as he looked silly at the olympics in what Vera created.

Anyway, it would be nice to see the more fashion forward looks.

7. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

Nice choices.

8. Doggygirl

Doggygirl Well-Known Member

LOVE your choices!! Any recommendations for the men? :saint:

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  9. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

So many of the men do themed pieces. iI might be harder to find.

10. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

I agree that Mirai's dresses always seem really short and high waisted. Part of it is her body type with long legs and a short torso with broad shoulders, but I feel like a lot of her dresses make her look thicker and shorter around the middle than she actually is. She has long enough legs that she can pull off a longer length skirt, and doing so would help add length to her upper body. Also I think the faux strapless necklines aren't a great look for her, they were alright when she was just a little kid but now that she actually has a chest I think they look a little juvenile, a double spaghetti strap that crosses in the back would show off her shoulders without accentuating their broadness. Dresses cut more like the ones Yuna usually wears I think would look good on Mirai, Yuna has more of an hourglass figure but she does have the same long legs and broad shoulders like Mirai, so I think they could do well with similar styles.

11. hlp728

hlp728 Active Member

12. hlp728

hlp728 Active Member

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  13. edonice

edonice New Member

You’re completely right that skaters need to wear dresses that move well with their bodies, but I disagree that these dresses couldn’t be made for the ice. They make all kinds of stretch fabric now – stretch chiffon, lycra, velvet, lace, flesh colored illusion, as well as stretch thread – so most designs could be recreated in fabrics that give.

As for men’s skatewear, I skirted this one just because it’s so hard. My favorite costumes for men are the really classic and vintagey ones, like Dick Button in sweaters: http://www.life.com/image/50378446 and http://www.sportsvideodaily.com/wp/...-wins-gold-by-landing-first-ever-triple-loop/. Of course, it would be totally boring if all the men came out wearing the same thing.

Men’s fashion isn’t much help right now because a lot of it is baggy, and that wouldn’t work on a skater.

I also realized that the Marchesa link for Ashley Wagner isn’t working, so here it is: http://tinyurl.com/67qsfey And hlp728, I really liked the idea of a splatter print dress! It would certainly make Ashley stand out. The jersey print one was especially eyecatching with all that color and the black on top.

14. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Yes, I know about stretch fabrics, thanks, but a lot of the dresses in your links have features that would be impractical for all the range of motion in a skating program. And as I mentioned, the dresses still should have something to do with the program theme or music, which also restricts what is possible or suitable.

15. skfan

skfan New Member

i don't think skaters need to wear their theme--the choreography and music can do that. in fact i wish they would all wear their black practice outfits (minus the gloves) because often what's out on the ice during the actual performance looks like someone put on a dress after a scorned lover shredded half of it :(

i love the choices edonice came up with--although i'm not as excited about the first and last choice as i am about the others. the shoulder is a bit fussier than i prefer for czisny for the first one.

still, i love most of the choices! edonice, how can we make you the fashion designer for the skaters? maybe you should make a blog and people with facebook can refer skaters with facebook to your blog :lol:

ETA

edonice, please come up with some suggestions for mao's liebestraum dress this season. she's keeping the same program so i presume they are changing the dress. i would be very keen on seeing what you come up with, since you already know the music and choreography (does that constrict or liberate you ?) :) thanks in advance !

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  16. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

I really liked Mirai's first Geisha dress. I think sleeves on her long arms would look wonderful. The shortness of her dress allows full view of her long legs, but it'd be interesting to see what she'd look like in a longer skirt.

I really want to kidnap Rachael and give her a makeover! Her hair color with her very pale skin washes her out. Maybe some tones and highlights to give her hair a less dull look and a bit more dimension. I've said this several times, but I don't like her haircut. For everyday wear it's cute on her; but after the wind has been whipping it for four minutes she looks rather disheveled. Hopefully, by the start of the season her hair will be long enough to at least clip it back. The sweaty wind-blown look is not good.

As for dresses, no more red, yellow or blue. Geez! She needs something black with sleeves and no more V-neckline. This neckline looks great on her. Rachael limbs aren't very long and it gives her a stockier appearance. She needs to lengthen her lines and dark colors (black, dark blue, dark purple) would do that nicely. No more sun-bright yellows, bright reds, or pinks...go dark.

I have suggestions for music too, but that's not for this thread. I think in terms of style and fashion, Rachael needs the most help right now...

17. edonice

edonice New Member

Kwanatic, I loved Mirai’s first Geisha dress, too! I wasn’t thrilled about the obi sash because it seemed too straight across, and gave the impression that she was standing still rather than moving really fast. But when I saw it on the ice, I loved the way the sleeves and skirt flowed, and it really highlighted her graceful arms.

Skfan, thanks for the compliments! As for Mao, I have to say, this season’s purple dress was one of my favorites that she’s chosen. There’s usually so much going on in her dresses that it’s hard to see her at all, and though this one was heavily beaded, I loved the long sleeves and color on her, and the skirt moved so beautifully. I know Mao likes the ornate dresses so I’d rather have an ornate dress all in one color with a basic cut rather than one that has forty different ideas all at once. But I would like even more to see her in something simple and flowing.

There isn’t much with long sleeves in fashion, unfortunately, and I really like Mao in long sleeves because she has such gorgeous arms. These Monique Lhuilliers come closest: http://pinterest.com/pin/6245586/ and http://pinterest.com/pin/7882493/ (this one in a softer color to match her music). I also like the upper body on Kate Middleton’s wedding gown with the long sleeves and relatively conservative V-neck; unfortunately, that dress is a little too iconic to copy http://pinterest.com/pin/17556783/ .

It’s definitely easier to pick a dress when you know the music and choreography! But it’s still fun to do it, even without.

18. skfan

skfan New Member

thank you for selecting those dresses for mao. i really like both dresses. the first one makes me think of a shimmering ondine (ashton ballet), and the second has nice detailing that i think suits mao's figure, although as you say a softer color would suit liebestraum even better. i am thinking of a color like mao's japan open dress--what did you think of that dress? did you prefer the lighter lavender dress for the long sleeves?

for skating i am actually fond of no sleeves whatsoever. spaghetti straps are best, but so frequently the illusion fabric doesn't match the skater's skin color and it looks awkward, so to me long sleeves are the next best thing--long sleeves without flapping rags at the sleeves or elbows that distract from the line of the arms.

if you have the time to create a blog for skating fashion suggestions, i think your blog would garner a lot of interest. skating costume makers might even contract with you as a consultant. please consider it :)

19. Civic

Civic New Member

Figure skating costumes are closer to ballet or modern dance costumes than to haute couture. As another poster pointed out, skaters will be performing jumps, spins, etc. while wearing them. While they could be more flattering and imaginative; they'll never be high fashion for this reason. Some of my favorite skating costumes were made by people I've never heard of before. They include:

The pale pink dress Tanith Belbin wore for the Quickstep at 2001 Worlds.

The purple and wine dress Chen Lu wore for the long program at 1996 Worlds.

Sale/Pelletier's "Love Story" costumes

Anna Rechnio's black velvet dress with scoop neckline and plunging back outlined in rhinestones.

Alexei Urmanov's "Tango" costume from 1999

Marie-France Dubreuil's Original Dance dress from the 2002 Olympics

20. jcopper

jcopper New Member

I am always a fan of less is more. Not less as in revealing, but rather less as in uncomplicated. Simple, functional, a complementary color. Finding the right dress does not need to be akin to squaring the circle, especially when the skater has the skills.