Faiella/Scali retire: "... and now, we'll be ready to face a new fabulous adventure!"

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Aaron W

Aaron W New Member

They had a pretty good career. Two European silver medals and a world bronze medal are great accomplishments. Certainly best wishes to both Federica and Massimo! :40beers:

3. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

:wuzrobbed They will be missed! My best wishes to both of them!

4. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

Best of luck to them! I can totally see them being "show" skaters.

5. eleonorad

eleonorad Active Member

nothing more true than this. Best luck to both of them.

6. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

Ice dancers in Detroit will be very lucky to work with Massimo.

7. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

Best of luck to them both!!

8. Proustable

Proustable New Member

They were one of my favourite teams these past few seasons and I love how Massimo expressed himself here. Can't wait to see where the road takes them.

9. mysticchic

mysticchic Well-Known Member

Wow all the best to them! I heard Massi was in Detroit a lot. Glad he will be working here a lot. He is such a nice guy and really funny!

10. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

I wish them all the best!

11. beepbeep

beepbeep Taking homeless Fabian home

They are one of my favourite teams, and I hoped I'd get to see more of them competitively :(

That said, best of luck to both of them on their future endeavours on and off ice!! :cheer:

12. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

Depressing. With only P&B and the Kerrs left, it's nearly the end of an era :(

13. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

A shame. I loved their FD this year, would LOVE to see it at least once again

14. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

I agree. Hopefully they will use it as an exhibition number in the future.

15. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Nicely said, Mr. Scali. You will be missed :)

16. kia_4EverOnIce

kia_4EverOnIce New Member

I'll miss them a lot!
    Now, looking for Massimo's work as a choreographer!!! (heard he was working already with Abbott for a show program! :) )

17. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

What a beautiful and moving reflection.

For a little bit of "looking back to the past," here's their FD from last year's Euros:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLOc1qqPoz0

And here's a very eloquent interview with F&S after the event in which he expresses similar sentiments about passion driving their skating. I think that really came through in their performances.

18. alhrayth

alhrayth Well-Known Member

He's currently staying in Pasquale & Anjelika's home while he searches for one of his own there - he's definitely going to have Detroit has his main residence (which actually makes me really sad because it means it will be really really rare to see him). He's already working A LOT there, possibly more than he expected, LOL!

Well, they've got a few things lined up for April and they'll surely use it in those (I asked. I might buy a ticket to go see 'em in Torino, but I wanted to be sure of them doing the FD ;) )

Yup. I shed a tear translating it. Massi is just adorable like that. :)

19. ice9

ice9 Active Member

:fragile:

I've grown to really like them in the past few years. I will miss them terribly. :(

What Sylvia quoted from Massimo is so true. I'm sure they've touched many fans' hearts with their dedication to the sport and beautiful dances.

Best wishes to their future endeavours! :40beers:

20. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

I'm very excited to see what will come out of his partnership with Camerlengo and Krylova. Camerlengo has already established himself as one of the preeminent choreographers of the moment. He's someone who still has original ideas, and fusing that with Scali's fresh perspective and passion could produce some fantastic work. :)

21. alhrayth

I still cry when I look at that program... I get teased about this, LOL! But still, this year in Bern, I was even more moved. Because those things Massi has written about skating not even for themselves, but for us friends and family and fans, we'd exchanged them by text message before the friday FD (I was not expecting to see 'em in the message he wrote for the site! But I'm glad he did include that). He was so heartbroken after the SD... and yet, I was so proud of him when they skated the FD so well, with the idea it was *really* skated just for us... ohhh, I'd better stop or I might start getting teary again...
    I'm just happy that they are happy with their choices - Massi for sure is! Last time I spoke to Fede she was enjoying some time at home, before heading to the police base... and soon they'll have to reunite for the shows in Aston, Torino and Prague...

22. Celine82

Celine82 Well-Known Member

I will miss Fede & Massi a LOT, too. I fell in love with figure skating in 2002 and they've always been around since then, and among my favorites, so it will be weird to go to competitions knowing they won't be there... *sigh*

Thanks to Fede & Massi for the emotions they've shared with us, and I also wish them the very, very best for the future.

23. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I'm sorry to hear this - best wishes to them and I hope to see Scali's choreography soon :cool:

24. ostile17

ostile17 Well-Known Member

Ragazzi, thank you for all these wonderful years. I'm so proud of you!
    Hope to see you soon. Best of luck with all your projects!

25. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

I am sorry they have had so many problems the last few seasons; they always skated with fire and passion and I will really miss them. I remember first seeing them skate live at 2003 Worlds in Washington D.C. (where I felt they were vastly underappreciated by the judges but not the audience!) :lol:

I loved, loved, loved their free dance for the last Olympic season. By far, I think it was their masterpiece!

Much luck to them both in their future endeavors.

26. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

Mille Grazie of all the wonderful moments you have given us, Federica and Massimo!

I have seldom experienced more moving moment than when they came of the ice after the FD in Europeans. Their FD was beautiful, and we were prepared to cheer, but when we saw their emotions, we just cried with them. A great career, and hopefully it continues with the shows.

What is Federica going to do in the police?

27. alhrayth

I am really really curious about this too! She was going to the police base last week to figure out how things will go on from now... and what she will be actually doing. I have to investigate... :sekret:!

28. Carmen Ovsiannikov

Carmen Ovsiannikov Well-Known Member

Wow. I'm both surprised and not surprised. I didn't expect Federica and Massimo to stay for Sochi but I thought they might do another couple of seasons or at least finish out this season. OTOH, with Federica's illness(illnesses?) and F&S's drop in the rankings I can't say that I blame them. Not that I think that the drop in the rankings played a large part in their decision.

I am glad F&S won their World bronze last year for their gorgeous set of programs (well deserved) and they are two time European silver medalists. I will miss them but wish them well in the future.

Thank you Federica and Massimo for the wonderful and entertaining programs over the years.

29. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

I will miss Faiella Scali a lot! I had hardly noticed them when they started, but they reinvented themselves and ended up regularly having IMO one of the best programs every year. Massimo probably has the best expression among the current eligibles and the two of them look very good together. :)

I especially loved their last three free dances: Pierrot, The Immigrants and this year's Manolete program. Each of these has an original style and mood, an interesting overall concept, meticulously thought-out choreography and so much feeling! They are so touching! :swoon: All of which is so rare with the CoP.

I also loved the way their two olympic programs: the Tarantella and "The Immigrants" complemented each other.

I am sorry that we won't see this year's beautiful free dance again - it's my favorite free dance of the year. So soulful, full of such inexpressible sadness! Unfortunately that is the feeling I am left with now. :( Still, I wouldn't swap it for any amount of perkiness. ;)

30. a56

a56 New Member

I will miss them, and I wish them the best of luck with all of their future plans. Good luck to Federica on the police career, and Massimo in Detroit on the coaching career!