Facebook Shrinks 'Six Degrees of Separation' to 4.74

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by soxxy, Nov 22, 2011.

1. soxxy

soxxy Guest

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/22/facebook-six-degrees-separation_n_1107577.html

I never knew the theory started this far back....although I knew it didn't start with the Kevin Bacon game. ;)

Anyway, what's an "acquaintance"? If you PM someone on FSU who's going to Russia this weekend and ask them to get Mao Asada's autograph for you, and they succeed, how many degress are you separated from Mao?

2. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I would say at the loosest definition the person who got the autograph would be an aquaintance to Mao, in that they have met her, but not by the more common definition that they are loose friends.

However, for the game- I would say 1 degree of seperation - the poster on FSU, who is an online aquaintance. (You don't count yourself, but you do count Mao, right?)

So that means skaters who randomly friend all sorts of people on facebook have a lot of 0 degrees of seperation to lots of random fans.

(that might be 2 and 1 if I have the numbering system wrong. Is it like an Erdos number? Where only Erdos is a 0, and then direct work with him is a 1?)