Facebook page calls for American-only hours at U.S. Costco

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by manhn, Aug 13, 2012.

1. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

I love this!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2012/08/12/bc-bellingham-costco-canadians.html

My name is manhn, and I am one of those rude Canadians.

I go to this specific Costco whenever I go to the US with my folks (as I don't have a membership). And I can attest that the lineups for gas is extremely long--not only because of the number of people, but a lot of Canadians will bring jerry cans to be filled with gas too (you're allowed two per vehicle).

And no doubt Canadians can be rude and pushy. Waiting hours at the border can test your patience. Also, we can only come down so often. So, we have to make sure we have everything and get everything until the next trip.

When I cross border shop, it's not a leisurely trek. It's a pursuit.

But I don't take up two parking spots. I am pretty sure I have seen more than 1 American commit that bit of treason.

Any other Americans living near the border that hate Canadians too? ;)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  2. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

I don't know why this would be a problem. Thank you for bringing your money down and pumping up the economy!

3. TheGirlCanSkate

TheGirlCanSkate Active Member

Exactly!

4. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

We all do. :shuffle: I think it's the bad hair.

5. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

I resent this. I am properly tiffed at all times. :drama:

6. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

They can start as many FB pages as they want. I suspect Costco doesn't care who is paying them in US dollars. :lol:

7. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

There are a lot of seasonal farm workers from Mexico and Central America in Bellingham every year. Would they get to shop during "American"-only hours?

8. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

This. I'd expect the store would be doing some extra marketing to try to attract people from cross-border. If long lines are a problem, push the store to hire extra cashiers for peak hours so it's a more pleasant experience for everyone.

9. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Why are so many of my countrymen idiots? I wish people like that would move to a deserted island somewhere and stop embarrassing us.

10. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

EYS. I see even more business opportunities, like opening Canuckistani-friendly diners in Bellingham, eh? Serve up some poutine, sprinkled with barbequed moose meat and maple syrup. :p

KatieC and (deleted member) like this.
  11. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

First they go after the Canadians and next it will be mis-treatment of Mexicans. It all started at Costco. Mark my word.

12. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

White Spot (big BC family-style restaurant chain) opened a location in Bellingham and it was a big failure. When we are in the US we are on a little vacation and we want to eat 'Murican food :p

13. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Yeah, when I was a little one and crossing the border was a breeze, a family outing would consist of eating at the Sizzler!

14. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

That's rich - like people in Washington State don't toodle on down to Portland all the time to take advantage of the no-sales-tax state :lol:

15. Norlite

Norlite Well-Known Member

The link is not working for me.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  16. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

I know that I am not a financial wizard or anything, but isn't the point to stimulate an economy is to import more? Wouldn't this be an import of sorts? Dollars from another country being spent here? :confused:

17. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Fixed the link. Should work now.

18. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

:rofl: I was going to tell Norlite it was because she was Canadian and could only access the article on certain times of the day.

19. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

Not Canadians in general, only Jamie Sale and poutine. And that hatred isn't only limited to Americans 'living near the border'.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  20. Norlite

Norlite Well-Known Member

The link is from the CBC, not NBC.

;)

21. liv

liv Well-Known Member

Yay! We're finally moving up in the world! We're finally being called rude! I thought I'd never see the day...:)

22. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

No, it's the knitting.

;)

23. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

Yeah, all them mittens, and the standing Os at the register...

24. made_in_canada

made_in_canada INTJ

Me too :glamor:

As a Canadian, the cross border shopping bothers me especially when people like my aunt are completely self-righteous about how much money they save. There's reasons that lots of groceries/fuel are more expensive here.

25. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

I got the feeling, though, that they were trying to expand their empire into the US more than trying to cater to cross-border-shopping Vancouverites. Whatever the reason, though, I think their epic failure might have had more to do with the fact that they were located next to a Jack-in-the-Box. :p

I only go to White Spot for their milkshakes ... but there's no need for White Spot milkshakes in B'ham when they have Boomers!

One small band of rabid twits on Facebook doesn't turn me off from visiting Bellingham. I've always found it a charming little city, and the people there have never been anything but friendly.

But then again I don't shop Costco on either side of the border.

26. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

The issue appears to be that the store and gas station can't expand to accommodate the Canadian traffic.

Since I hate big box stores and crowds and line-ups, I understand how the locals feel.

27. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

To shop at Costco, this rude American living near the border would have to go to Canada :lol: The nearest American Costcos are 4+ hours away, but St. Catharines is only 25min.

28. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Exactly. Plus I have no sympathy. The lines are really long here because a lot of people live here.

Makes up for the pharmacy line when the buses of seniors used to go to Canada to refill prescriptions. Do they still do that?

29. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

But if you hate big box stores, you wouldn't be at Costco anyway.
    I don't like crowds, so I don't go to crowded places. Which means I rarely go to Walmart or Costco. If these people feel it is too crowded, they should shop and get their gas elsewhere.

I think it is ridiculous for Americans to suggest turning away foreign money in this economy!

30. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

The article I read said that Costco would love to expand their location (parking, gas bays) but are being prevented from doing so by local government.

Yeah, like Denny's...or IHOP...or Red Lobster -- y'know, those chains that already exist up here? Actually, there have been a few US-only restaurants we like, but it seems just about everything down there is also up here!

LOVE going to Portland (actually, the factory stores at Woodburn) to shop! When the Canuck Buck is on the right side of par, it's very worth our while to shop there!

Now, now, Jayar, you know you LOVE my perm!