Face-palm "doh" move

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by haribobo, Jan 27, 2012.

1. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

This move after the end of the program is starting to drive me crazy. It looks so undignified and really ruins any aura/mood the program just created. I especially hate when they do it the second their program ends without even holding the end pose. We all know you made a mistake you didn't meant to make, now save your reaction for backstage please. :shuffle:

2. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

Those are the reactions I live for! :lol:

Besides they are done performing, how they act after that is just a skater being human. I wouldn't be able to hide my disappointment either if I worked so hard and saw it go down the drain in 4 minutes. Especially if it were at the Olympics or Worlds.

3. elle123

elle123 Member

I agree. It's good to see the more human/emotional side of skaters.

4. haribobo

On the flip-side, you work hard to learn that choreo and pay your choreographer all that money, only to ruin the end of the program with a facepalm...

5. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Well they only do it if they already ruined the program...

I like seeing how a skater reacts. I love the pumped fists, and am so sad for them when you can tell they are disappointed. Of course, I see them as athletes first, and artists second.

I do wonder how much of it influences the judges though. Seems dumb to let them know you are disappointed.

6. julieann

I agree; they already messed up, the reaction is of little consequence. But I doubt the judges even care, they don't watch the bows from what I see.

7. haribobo

Well sometimes its only a simple thing like a double instead of a triple. It ruins it so much more to give up on the intended choreo than to just move on from the mistake so you are still giving the best performance you can. I admire skaters that don't pull that move.

8. Skittl1321

The performance is already over by the time they do this.

Or have you actually seen a skater do a face-palm after a bad jump, before moving on to the next element?

9. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

Id gladly watch them all do the face palm if it meant never having to see the the fist pump(Joubert), the "TA-da!" face (Emily Hughes), the hysteric crying jag (baiul) and the screech (Tara) etc...

taf2002 and (deleted member) like this.
  10. haribobo

OMG yes, these moves work in certain programs but SO NOT in others :scream:

11. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

What programs do they work in? Ever?

12. julieann

Are we talking about the K&C or the actual choreogrphy?

13. Skittl1321

Based on the original post "after the end of the program" - I based my responses on - done with program, not yet off the ice. Usually as soon as their music ends, most skaters don't hold their ending pose for long.

14. julieann

That's what I though then someone brings up "hysteric crying jag (baiul) and the screech (Tara)" and that threw me off because I have never seen it on the ice. I still think after the ending pose of the music stops the program is over, so how they act is just human emotion. If they throw a fit during the program after a biffed element, that is pretty bad, but I don't see hardly at all.

15. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

any programs where there was an intentional facepalm in the choreography? ;)

16. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Sonia Lafuente :duh:
    Michal Březina :duh:

I'd like to see these skaters going :duh: after the judges tell them that going :duh: at the end of the program prompted them not to give them the benefit of the doubt and to lower their marks.

:EVILLE:

17. ponta1

ponta1 Active Member

Yuzuru Hanyu did the face palm move after one of his programs, but that was because he was happy he performed so well. I thought it was really cute; sort of like the Home Alone boy.