F3 Tornado Hits Goderich, Ontario

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by AragornElessar, Aug 23, 2011.

1. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

It happened yesterday and what was known as Ontario's Prettiest Town is now a Disaster Area. The dead centre of the town took a direct hit and the pictures/video of the damage are just unbelievable. Environment Canada has called it a F3 and I had a feeling just from what was shown on the News last night it would be that or a F4.

I hope if we've got any FSU-er's from there, that they're okay. To our Members who are from there, but have moved and/or to those w/Family and Friends in the area, I hope your loved ones are safe and uninjured.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the people of Goderich. :(

2. TalentedButHumble

TalentedButHumble Well-Known Member

3. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

What a lovely town center in the before pictures. I know it can be restored again but I feel badly for the man that died. The news feature mentioned it had been fifteen years (in the province?) since the last tornado and I almost think it makes it that much more shocking to the people who experienced it. I'm curious about how far north tornadoes have occurred. Alaska?

4. CantALoop

CantALoop Well-Known Member

Yikes, thoughts are with the people in Ontario :( Do tornadoes form with frequency in any area of Canada or was this a sort of a freak storm?

5. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about the tornado, and for the people of the town.

6. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Tornados are kind of a fact of summer weather here (southwestern Ontario where I live, about 1.5 hours south along the lake from Goderich) -- or at least reports of them are. A major one blew down the front street of the city I live in back before I was born and fortunately, no one was killed and my dad narrowly avoided being injured. Another narrowly missed here back in the 60's.
    Two days after that tornado hit Goderich, we had tornado warnings - two of them. Got some nasty weather around here both those days -- rain, hail, lightning hitting the ground, power outages but nothing too bad in "banana belt" Sarnia (where I live).
    This area has been referred to as Tornado Alley at times and now that information can get out there globally and quickly, we tend to hear more about the devastating effects of mother nature.

7. WindSpirit

WindSpirit OmnipresentAdmeanistrator

Wow. What's up with all that crazy weather popping up everywhere?

I'm glad only one person was killed as it could have been much worse. The damage looks pretty overwhelming. :(