Extraordinarily elegant male skaters (singles or otherwise)

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Vash01, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

Figure skating is a beautiful, elegant sport, in general. The ladies in particular are encouraged to be elegant. However, some male skaters are very elegant and graceful. Here is my list:

(Singles)

John Curry
    Matt Savoie
    Paul Wylie
    Johnny Weir
    Viktor Petrenko
    Ilia Kulik
    Todd Eldredge
    Robin Cousins
    Jeremy Abbott
    Patrick Chan
    Alexander Abt
    Jeff Buttle
    Daisuke Takahashi
    Rudy Galindo
    Jason Brown

(I am surprised that the list is so long)

(Pairs and ice dance):

Anton Sikharulidze
    Sergei Grinkov
    John Zimmerman
    Oleg Protopopov
    Randy Gardner
    Artur Dmitriev

Alexander Zhulin
    Gwendal Peizerat
    Oleg Ovssianikov
    Sergei Ponomarenko
    Christopher Dean

2. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

3. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

4. triple_toe

triple_toe Well-Known Member

Stephane should be in there, at least late-career Stephane. I'd say his Ne Me Quitte Pas was definitely extraordinarily elegant, and his La Traviata was quite elegant as well.
    I always thought Sretenski of Annenko/Sretenski was very elegant.
    Emmanuel Sandhu could be very graceful.

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  5. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Definitely Toller Cranston!

6. Plusdinfo

Plusdinfo Member

It's amazing how different opinions can be. At a quick glance, I agree with everyone listed... except for Todd Eldredge! I can hardly think of a more wooden, uninteresting, "aw shucks" kind of skater from the past 20 years who achieved so much. I think it was the way he didn't use his head that factors greatly into how I came to find his "presentation" pretty ridiculous. I don't think there's a mean thing I could come up with regarding him personally, so- again- this is just my marveling at how different people view things. Perhaps links to videos will follow as people share their favorite examples of named skaters.

Interesting topic, especially as it concerns pairs and ice dance, where the men tend to show off the women and not normally get tons of recognition.

7. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

Alexei Urmanov.

I wouldn't call Todd Eldredge "elegant". :shuffle:

8. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

Todd Eldridge is about as elegant as a brick. I agree with all the others on the original list, except Todd and also I never really considered Ilia elegant. There are a few Canadians that aren't on there that should be (Eman, Sebastien Britton, Sawyer). I also think Stannick Jeanette could be on the list. Although his choreography (as brilliant as it was) didn't often show it , you could still see it in his moves and lines.

9. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

I think Todd is a very elegant skater. It didn't happen overnight, but he has certainly developed into one.

May I add Armin M., Ross Miner, and Harrison Choate (a US junior man) for the current eligibles?

Vash, I really like your list!

10. casken

casken Well-Known Member

Even if his programs were the usual movie soundtrack stuff, Todd had very nice lines and good form.

11. JanetB

JanetB Well-Known Member

Emanuel Sandhu was very elegant

12. Johnny_Fever

Johnny_Fever Well-Known Member

I'm partial to the innovators. People like Allen Schramm, Gary Beacom, Paul Duchesnay, etc. You guys have a term for them, but I forgot what it was. "Spacey skaters", or something like that?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  13. falling_dance

falling_dance Bravo, Patrick.

Voidy. :inavoid:

14. Johnny_Fever

Johnny_Fever Well-Known Member

That's it. Thanks. :)

15. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

I always found Todd to be an understated, subtly elegant skater.

I'm giving Angel Boy Rippon a vote, I love his arms, his head postions..His Cinema Paradisio is one of my all-time favorite exhibitions..and this yrs Rach exhibition is also quite lovely.

16. Ageless

Ageless Member

I'm surprised Robin Cousins hasn't been mentioned. I always loved his long lines.

17. flyingsit

flyingsit Well-Known Member

Gorsha Sur
    Denis Petrov

18. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

I agree about Lambiel - although he was not very elegant in his early career, now I actually assocciate such words as "elegance" and "gracefulness" with him more than with any other of the current male singles skaters (I mean both "amateur" and professional). And it's not just for 'Ne me quitte pas' and 'La Traviata'. It's also 'Poeta' (or 'Flamenco'), 'Carne Cruda', 'Otono Porteno' (or 'Tango') as it was skated in shows, the later show version of 'The Four Seasons', such jazzy programs as 'Tainted Love', 'Let the Good Times Roll', and, now, 'Don't Stop The Music', 'Bring Me to Life', 'Prelude in G. Minor', 'Rigoletto', his new program for 'Art on Ice' - 'My Body Is A Cage', and a few others. Actually, whatever Lambiel does now - everything is elegant and, often, graceful.

19. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Adam Rippon and Yuzuru Hanyu

20. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

Boy.. I would take Todd off that list... Elegant would never be a word I would use to describe his skating...

Brian Boitano however....... Elegance for sure

21. Vash01

All are great choices. When I watched Stephane's exhibition from last year on YT, I was amazed by his elegance throughout the routine.

Sretenski was very elegant, especially as a pro. I somehow forgot to list him.

Sandhu is one of the most elegant male skaters.

22. centerpt1

centerpt1 Active Member

I'd remove Todd- never an elegant or artistic skater-he always went for the bombastic movie track-and looked more like a wooden toy soldier.

Toller, on the ther hand was elegant.

Adam is artistic, but doesn't have the effortless power to be elegant yet. Same with Hanyu.

23. Vash01

Thanks for the links. I agree that Urmanov was very elegant. I remembered him and Lambiel after I went to bed, and did not want to get up to update my list:lol:

ETA: Should Shawn Sawyer be on this list? He has amazing positions on spins, spirals, but I am not quite convinced that the rest of his skating is elegant. I am open to a different opinion though.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  24. Vash01

Robin Cousins has been mentioned in the original post.

25. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

Cinema Paradiso at Skate Canada 2010 and Rach at 4CC's especially. Also, his photos bear out that elegance. :) With respect to not having the power, when he's not under competition pressure, his skating is far more effortless

I'd also give a nod to Matt Savoie

26. Vash01

27. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Anton Sikharulidze came to mind first.

28. quartz

quartz Far beyond these castle walls

Emanuel Sandhu was the very first one that came to my mind and I was surprised not to see him on the initial list. Sebastien Britten was another very elegant skater - totally aware of the picture he painted on the ice.

29. martyross

martyross New Member

cool. such a great coincidence to have this thread since it was exactly what i had in mind to ask :p watching Sikharulidze at the 2002 Olys made me wish to watch other elegant and expressive dance/pair male partners.
    but must say, that Anton guy is really a sublime creature :D

30. rosebrallier

rosebrallier New Member

I say the most elegant currently competing are Abbott, Takahashi, and Chan in that order. Takahashi occasionally falls victim to awkward choreography and to me, Chan tends towards skating elements rather than programs. The individual elements look gorgeous, they just don't flow together amazingly like Abbott's and Takahashi's can.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.