Extraordinarily creative skaters

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Vash01, Jun 3, 2011.

1. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Igor Paskevitch was also a very creative skater.
    And I loved Sebastien Britten.
  2. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

Rudy Galindo
    Torvill and Dean and also The Duchesnays
    Dan Hollander
    Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  3. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

Dan Hollander was the Ryan Bradley of the 1990s. Except a million times more annoying. :scream:
  4. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

I find Kerrs quite creative. And Khokhlova-Novitsky.
  5. taf2002

taf2002 Well-Known Member

I have met both of them, there is no way Dan is more annoying than Ryan. For one thing, Dan appears to have no ego.
  6. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Stanick Jeanette is missed. :(
    Ozzisk8tr and (deleted member) like this.
  7. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

8. Mozart

Mozart Well-Known Member

I loved Olga Markova and Ilia Klimkin too much LOL
  9. aliceanne

Stephane is too obvious, people are trying to come up with more original choices :)
  10. aliceanne

I would pay to see her in a show before many Olympic champions. She was born to perform.
  11. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

Lucindah Ruh?
  12. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

I meant purely in terms of their skating programmes. I'm sure they are both lovely people. Or not as the case may be.
  13. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Dmitri Dmitrenko usually had very unique programs. He's gone into coaching and choreography but unfortunately hasn't produced any interesting work for other skaters, yet. :(

On the most interesting programs I've seen in skating. She's missed too!

Ughhhhh...

The whole program is skated counter-clockwise. They're just skating around the rink and around the rink and around the rink.

There is a lot of flailing but no actual skating ability is showed.

I can totally understand why they were being dumped by the judges and no, not because they skated outside the box.

I remember seeing some of their programs that I liked in the past but this was just awful. But then, most of pre-COP skating seems :scream: to me.

Nothing interesting about her skating, other than her spins.
  14. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

Ivan Dinev and Stannick Jeannette! I loved StannickĀ“s Le Petit Prince program 2003. IIRC, the choreography was by Gwendal Peizerat.:ap1
    Dinev was ::wuzrobbed many times, he should have had at least one EM medal. He was sportive and creative same time, and a very nice guy. He also had some other assets:swoon:
  15. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Creativity is subjective (though I do recognize that it is possible for there to be standards that most people may agree on) and can be defined beyond technical difficulty, transitions, and the COP, as difficult as that may be to grasp.

Sometimes the most simple things can be the most creative.
  16. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

There is great wisdom in those words.
  17. Jasmar

Jasmar Active Member

Exactly! Like Lucinda Ruh's spins :D
  18. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Yes. Are skaters (or their choreographers) being creative with the way they use their blades?

Or with the way they use the rest of their bodies above the blades?

Or with the kinds of images they choose to present in terms of music choice and costumes aside from the skating itself?

If you're looking for creativity in one or two of the above, if you do find it you might forgive the skater being pretty conservative in the other area(s). Or if you don't find it where you're looking, you might miss other areas where the skater is breaking new ground.

Of course, moves and style choices that were creative when the first skater performed them later become ho-hum years later after many followers have jumped on the bandwagon.
  19. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

Although I've only ever seen it once, Ilia's routine that used the bowler hat amazed me at the time of seeing it. The use of blade work way before cop was introduced was incredible. Forgive me for not remembering it, but I'm sure others will fill in the blanks, and possibly post a link. For me, that was creative.
  20. senorita

senorita New Member

Dinev yes how did you remember him:swoon:
  21. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

22. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

Are we giving credit to some of the skaters that probably should be given to their choreographers?
  23. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

Probably. However, IMO, skaters who can take off-the-wall, different and unique choreography or music given to them by a choreographer, work with it and present it well, have to be considered "creative" themselves, because not everyone could do it. A Klimkin-esque program dropped on someone like, say Brandon Mroz, would most likely fall flat completely. The skater does deserve SOME credit in how the program is presented, or there wouldn't be a PE PCS mark, only CH.

(Not picking on Mroz, he just seems like a very straight-forward, straightlaced skater)
  24. aliceanne

I prefer skaters who use their entire body to express the music, much more difficult to do and maintain speed and flow.

Lucinda's spins are a work of art, her speed, cente, and positions. Most of the COP skaters just try to contort themselves into different positions for more points. I cringe at some of the lumpy awkward positions and spins that almost come to a dead stop while the skater shifts around and tries to grab his/her foot. And don't get me started on those slow donut spins where the skater drops their hip while they try to grab their foot...
  25. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Torvill & Dean

Dan Hollander
  26. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

I'll take this opportunity to repost the link to one of my favorite exhibition programs of all time -- a young Rohene Ward in 2002 (Vienna Cup): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAdIn-NFKhc
  27. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Just found this pretty clean performance by Allen Schramm, complete with Russian split single lutz toward the end. Although in some ways I prefer the 1981 Nationals performance for its creative recoveries from failed jumps, and for the triple axel attempt :).

I also have to give credit to Toller Cranston for laying the groundwork for that kind of whole-body expression.
  28. aliceanne

Strawberry Ice is still my all-time favorite ice show. Allen Schramm, Toller, and Sarah Kawahara. I also get a chuckle out of seeing Sandra Bezic rising up out of that clam shell with that haughty look on her face.

I'll look at the Rohene Ward clip too - thanks!
  29. pollyanna

pollyanna Don't blink

Stunning! Thank you for posting. :)

Love his skating, and I also loved the choreography he created for others, most notably Vanessa Gusmeroli.

Toller Cranston is at the top of my list of creative skaters. He really pushed the sport forward into new directions. I am thrilled that Carolina Kostner brought back the broken leg sit spin that Toller was so famous for.
    gkelly and (deleted member) like this.
  30. Meredith

Meredith what a glorious day!

All this creativity and I love it!

One of my favorite performances is by Ilia Kulik. He composed, played, recorded and cut the music. Then he choreographed a routine to it and skated to his creation in Stars on Ice in 2007-2008.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UL5L6mOQp4A

:)
  31. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

I always liked Silvio Smalun.
    LadyGray and (deleted member) like this.
  32. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear New Member

LadyGray and (deleted member) like this.
  33. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

34. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

Toller Cranston gets huge props from me, I think Klimova/Ponomarenko, and Usova/Zhulin in the '92 Olympics were exceptionally creative especially in their LPs. Of course their choreographers deserve huge credit but how many dance teams could pull off such programs? And I think most skaters need help of some kind especially early on in their careers when it comes to creativity but it takes a great skater to pull off great choreo. I think Debi Thomas's '88 Olympic SP was out there, totally different, very creative, much more fun than the usual.

Amateur skating for the most part back in the day seemed rather limited choreo-wise but in exhibitions skaters like Christopher Bowman, and of course Kurt Browning were beyond amazing. Also skaters like Lucinda Ruh for sure, Denise Biellmann, Oksana Baiul, I personally think Katherine Healy was mesmerizing.
    Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  35. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

36. vivika1982

vivika1982 Well-Known Member

37. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Another example of Toller's creativity:
    Toller Cranston 1988 World Cup Pro
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9NARUizht0

Debbie Wilkes comments are very interesting.
    pollyanna and (deleted member) like this.
  38. blue_idealist

39. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Wow, that is amazing. The split flip about 1:15 is just gorgeous.
  40. blue_idealist

Oh, there is Alban Preaubert too, although he might not be as voidy as some of the ones already listed. His Flight of the Bumblebee program was entertaining, as were his Rolling Stones program and his Turtle Shoes program from this season.