1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Extraordinarily creative skaters

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Vash01, Jun 3, 2011.

1. champs

champs New Member

Kristoffer Berntsson, Javier Fernandez (competitive programs), and Yannick Ponsero.

2. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Alban Preaubert is also a bit creative with his programs, although not as much as some of the others listed.. I barely remember but I think Eric Millot of France kind of was too.

3. Jasmar

Jasmar Active Member

Gary's always my #1, but I'd add Lucinda Ruh to the list here, too. I remember wishing I could just watch her for hours - she was spellbinding!

4. Kelleys6th

Kelleys6th Active Member

RunnersHigh and (deleted member) like this.
  5. mysticchic

mysticchic Well-Known Member

Davis and White's Bollywood was pretty creative.

6. uandmfan

uandmfan New Member

I believe that Brasseur and Eisler performed this move many times in their amateur days. I seem to have a vague recollection of another Canadian pairs team also performing it in the early 90s, but I could have that wrong.

7. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

I think in some cases you are calling a skater creative when the credit really should go to the choreographer.

I honestly don't think any of the pairs listed in the first post were especially creative or innovative. The flexibility moves we saw in Moskvina's pairs were basically hers, not theirs. The Chinese pairs have brought nothing creative to the world of pairs. Doing an established move bigger or better is about technique and skill, not creativity.

I do think the guys mentioned so far should get much of the credit for their innovation and distinct styles. Robin Cousins and Ilia Kulik also became pretty creative in their pro careers, though their eligible programs were pretty classic.

8. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

^ What she said.

If we're talking "style" and "ability to pull off brillancy in choreo"* than all the above are worthy.

But, "Extraordinarily creative skaters" is a much smaller club, and, with notable interlopers like Markova and the P's, is mostly a boy's club ... to which I'd nominate Dan Hollander for pledgeship.

*Vash's post goes beyond her title ... broadening it to include these folks.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2011
  9. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Browning was very creative as a pro, as were many skaters. As an eligible skater I did not feel he was that innovative, except may be in his Casablanca LP in 1993.

10. Sayana_mnk

Sayana_mnk Member

Ivan Dinev of Bulgaria is someone no one has mentioned. I've always thought he had some fairly creative programs.

11. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Igor Paskevitch was also a very creative skater.
    And I loved Sebastien Britten.

12. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

Rudy Galindo
    Torvill and Dean and also The Duchesnays
    Dan Hollander

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  13. allezfred

allezfred Ragin' for equality Staff Member

Dan Hollander was the Ryan Bradley of the 1990s. Except a million times more annoying. :scream:

14. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

I find Kerrs quite creative. And Khokhlova-Novitsky.

15. taf2002

taf2002 If it walks like a duck.....

I have met both of them, there is no way Dan is more annoying than Ryan. For one thing, Dan appears to have no ego.

16. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Stanick Jeanette is missed. :(

Ozzisk8tr and (deleted member) like this.
  17. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

18. Mozart

Mozart Well-Known Member

I loved Olga Markova and Ilia Klimkin too much LOL

19. aliceanne

Stephane is too obvious, people are trying to come up with more original choices :)

20. aliceanne

I would pay to see her in a show before many Olympic champions. She was born to perform.

21. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

22. allezfred

allezfred Ragin' for equality Staff Member

I meant purely in terms of their skating programmes. I'm sure they are both lovely people. Or not as the case may be.

23. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Dmitri Dmitrenko usually had very unique programs. He's gone into coaching and choreography but unfortunately hasn't produced any interesting work for other skaters, yet. :(

On the most interesting programs I've seen in skating. She's missed too!

Ughhhhh...

The whole program is skated counter-clockwise. They're just skating around the rink and around the rink and around the rink.

There is a lot of flailing but no actual skating ability is showed.

I can totally understand why they were being dumped by the judges and no, not because they skated outside the box.

I remember seeing some of their programs that I liked in the past but this was just awful. But then, most of pre-COP skating seems :scream: to me.

Nothing interesting about her skating, other than her spins.

24. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

Ivan Dinev and Stannick Jeannette! I loved StannickĀ“s Le Petit Prince program 2003. IIRC, the choreography was by Gwendal Peizerat.:ap1
    Dinev was ::wuzrobbed many times, he should have had at least one EM medal. He was sportive and creative same time, and a very nice guy. He also had some other assets:swoon:

25. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Creativity is subjective (though I do recognize that it is possible for there to be standards that most people may agree on) and can be defined beyond technical difficulty, transitions, and the COP, as difficult as that may be to grasp.

Sometimes the most simple things can be the most creative.

26. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

There is great wisdom in those words.

27. Jasmar

Jasmar Active Member

Exactly! Like Lucinda Ruh's spins :D

28. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Yes. Are skaters (or their choreographers) being creative with the way they use their blades?

Or with the way they use the rest of their bodies above the blades?

Or with the kinds of images they choose to present in terms of music choice and costumes aside from the skating itself?

If you're looking for creativity in one or two of the above, if you do find it you might forgive the skater being pretty conservative in the other area(s). Or if you don't find it where you're looking, you might miss other areas where the skater is breaking new ground.

Of course, moves and style choices that were creative when the first skater performed them later become ho-hum years later after many followers have jumped on the bandwagon.

29. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

Although I've only ever seen it once, Ilia's routine that used the bowler hat amazed me at the time of seeing it. The use of blade work way before cop was introduced was incredible. Forgive me for not remembering it, but I'm sure others will fill in the blanks, and possibly post a link. For me, that was creative.

30. senorita

senorita New Member

Dinev yes how did you remember him:swoon: