Extraordinarily creative skaters

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Vash01, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I thought of this when I read the thread about Gary Beacom, who was so creative that he seemed to defy the laws of physics in his skating. There are are other skaters that may not have been That creative, but even while competing as eligible skaters their creativity set them apart. Ice dance already has a lot of creativity built into it. For other disciplines it is hard to satisfy the traditional requirements and yet be extraordinarily creative. Win or lose, they were never boring.

I never watched Beacom as an eligible skater, so I don't know if he became creative only as a pro. May be someone can help me out here. BTW many eligible skaters turned very creative once they turned pro.

Other skaters whose creativity (I am not referring to just doing harder jumps or getting into difficult positions while spinning)-

Men:

Toller Cranston
    Philip Candeloro
    Gary Beacom (already mentioned)
    Ryan Bradley

Pairs:

Mishketenok-Dmitriev, with their unique choreography, which was unusual those days in pairs skating

Berezhnaya-Sikharulidze, with their Chaplin LP and other unusual moves like spiral into throw 2R, and spiral-spread eagles

Chinese pairs with their high flying split triple twists and throws

Kazakova-Dmitriev (similar creativity to M&D, using her flexibility)

Savchenko-Szolkowy: their style is very different from the traditional one

Ladies:

Olga Markova

Michelle Kwan in her young years was very creative (COE spiral, spin in two directions, 2 falling leaves in a row, etc.), including the music she chose (there is a separate thread about her & Lori's choreo)

Sasha Cohen created many different looks due to her extraordinary flexibility

I am forgetting the name of the young lady that had two very creative programs at the 2006 US nationals. Need help here.
  2. falling_dance

falling_dance The Scarlet Unlettered

Stephanie Rosenthal.
  3. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Thank you, falling dance. I can't believe I forgot her name!
  4. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Gary Beacom was very creative as an amateur skater, particularly since he basically coached himself. At times I thought he might have needed an outside eye to look at his programs and tell him when they were too over-the-top, but he always had a very distinctive style and presence.

I agree with most of your list but I wouldn't include the Chinese pairs (except maybe for Shen/Zhao, who toward their end of their amateur career were doing some really beautiful and original work). IMHO they just did the elements higher or farther than other pairs, which I wouldn't call creative in the sense of inventing something new and different.
  5. RunnersHigh

RunnersHigh Active Member

Holy crap! Hip Hop in Figure skating! Very enjoyable!
  6. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

What about Shawn Sawyer and Ilia Klimkin?
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  7. RunnersHigh

RunnersHigh Active Member

8. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what's creative about that. It's just taking traditional pairs moves and making them bigger than usual.

That said Shen and Zhao did have a distinctive new style when they first made a mark on the world scene. And other than the Protopopovs decades earlier, who else has done forward outside death spirals? I give them creativity points for that move.

It's often hard to know how much creativity comes from the skater and how much from the choreographer, especially with younger skaters.

Some of my favorites from the 1990s:
    Dmitri Dmitrenko

To a lesser degree, Igor Pashkevich, if only for that spiral into spin sequence in the middle of the second program.

I give Alice Sue Claeys creativity credit for playing with different edge changes in spins long before doing so earned an extra level from the technical panel.

Krisztina Czako

Vanessa Gusmeroli

Laetitia Hubert
    ks1227 and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I agree. They were both very creative even as eligible skaters.
  10. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

Klimkin and Schultheiss
  11. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

Stanick Jeanette (sp?)
  12. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

SHAWN SAWYER FOR SURE :)

Also Jozef Savodcik as a pro, and of course Kurt Browning.

I can't think of any other ladies or pair teams not mentioned.. well Brasseur and Eisler, kinda
  13. falling_dance

falling_dance The Scarlet Unlettered

14. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

15. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

That was one of the best SPs I saw in St. Louis and I was one of many people who stood for her at the end of that program. She was a breath of fresh air and her LP was very good and innovative too. I got extremely excited to find out that ESPN had actually shown both of Stephanie's programs during their broadcast. What a great moment for her! :cheer:

Here's Stephanie's LP from 2006
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2011
  16. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

17. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

18. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

I agree with Sawyer, Klimkin, Schultheiss, Jeannette and Tobel being mentioned here. They were all pretty amazing and so interesting.

Kristina Czako's Addams Family FS was really creative too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fi0FazjCHRQ

I will add Leonova for her Witches of Eastwick FS this year. That really went out there on a limb for something different.
  19. blue_idealist

20. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

It was such a thrill to be in the arena for her programs; one of the highlights of the event.
  21. taf2002

taf2002 Well-Known Member

Some of the people on your list had creative choreographers, & they were talented enough to be able to carry out their vision. For example, were Mishketenok-Dmitriev creative in their own right or was that all Moskovina's doing? And since the successful Chinese pairs tended to all have the same tricks, I don't feel they were the creative force...it was most probably their coach.

But I definitely feel that people like Gary Beacom & Tollar Cranston were innovative.
    RunnersHigh and (deleted member) like this.
  22. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Can't leave out Susannah Rahkamo and Petri Kokko from Finland, Worlds medalists in 94 and 95. At the time, the had the most creative choreo and always delivered with great expression. Great fun to watch.
  23. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

They trained with Torvill and Dean for several years - I'm sure that helped!
  24. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Has any ladies champion before or since done something this over the top? When she lands on top of the boards OMG. This was epic. :lol:
  25. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I'd add Sandhu to the names already mentioned.
  26. maureenfarone

maureenfarone Active Member

When I read the title of this thread the name that screamed at me was Toller Cranston :lol:

I also loved Stephanie's programs in St. Louis. She didn't have the hardest jumps, but both programs were quite unusual.
  27. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

Is Stephane Lambiel the elephant in the room nobody is talking about? He is definitely very creative in his own right, regardless of Salome's imput.
    Browning, as well.
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  28. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Stephane Lambiel is the first name that came to my mind.
  29. escaflowne9282

escaflowne9282 Well-Known Member

Well, in the case of M&D ,Artur and Moskvina had a very strong coach-student relationship and Artur's input was actually very important. I remember hearing that the leap at the end of their 1994 LP was a move he had come up with.
  30. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Well-Known Member

Vladimir Kotin was someone who could be relied on for something a bit different. Also when he retired from eligible competition I recall he toured with Katarina Witt and Brian Boitano. I specifically remember a number he did with Gary Beacom called "Running on Ice". I don't remember if it was from Skating I or Skating II.

Even Fadeev was pretty creative his last year as an eligible skater (89) and as a pro competitior I recall some interesting stuff the couple of times I got to see him on TV.
  31. champs

champs New Member

Kristoffer Berntsson, Javier Fernandez (competitive programs), and Yannick Ponsero.
  32. blue_idealist

Alban Preaubert is also a bit creative with his programs, although not as much as some of the others listed.. I barely remember but I think Eric Millot of France kind of was too.
  33. Jasmar

Jasmar Active Member

Gary's always my #1, but I'd add Lucinda Ruh to the list here, too. I remember wishing I could just watch her for hours - she was spellbinding!
  34. Kelleys6th

Kelleys6th Active Member

35. mysticchic

mysticchic Well-Known Member

Davis and White's Bollywood was pretty creative.
  36. uandmfan

uandmfan New Member

I believe that Brasseur and Eisler performed this move many times in their amateur days. I seem to have a vague recollection of another Canadian pairs team also performing it in the early 90s, but I could have that wrong.
  37. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

I think in some cases you are calling a skater creative when the credit really should go to the choreographer.

I honestly don't think any of the pairs listed in the first post were especially creative or innovative. The flexibility moves we saw in Moskvina's pairs were basically hers, not theirs. The Chinese pairs have brought nothing creative to the world of pairs. Doing an established move bigger or better is about technique and skill, not creativity.

I do think the guys mentioned so far should get much of the credit for their innovation and distinct styles. Robin Cousins and Ilia Kulik also became pretty creative in their pro careers, though their eligible programs were pretty classic.
  38. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

^ What she said.

If we're talking "style" and "ability to pull off brillancy in choreo"* than all the above are worthy.

But, "Extraordinarily creative skaters" is a much smaller club, and, with notable interlopers like Markova and the P's, is mostly a boy's club ... to which I'd nominate Dan Hollander for pledgeship.

*Vash's post goes beyond her title ... broadening it to include these folks.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2011
  39. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Browning was very creative as a pro, as were many skaters. As an eligible skater I did not feel he was that innovative, except may be in his Casablanca LP in 1993.
  40. Sayana_mnk

Sayana_mnk Member

Ivan Dinev of Bulgaria is someone no one has mentioned. I've always thought he had some fairly creative programs.