Explosion near the finish line of Boston Marathon (threads merged)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by ioana, Apr 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FGRSK8

FGRSK8 In Search of a Lost Chord

A friend of mine worked trauma yesterday and she said it was a good thing it happened where it did.

First, with the abundance of medical personnel present, victims were immediately attended to. She said that if there had been no medical people present and there was a wait for ambulances, many of these people would have bled out and the death toll would had been at least 2 to 3 times what is is.

Second, there was such a high concentration of camera crews both private and public, the chances are very good that something was caught on film. It just will take time to sort through all of it.

This woman is a pacifist and I was surprised at her answer when I asked her what they should do to this guy. Her answer. "If you had seen the blood and carnage I saw...two words..death penalty."

2. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Bostonfan - how devastating for your dad's neighbor, his whole family is torn apart. I hope his wife and daughter are able to recover (physically, at least). :(

kittyjake - what an amazing story about your friend's kindness. I can't even imagine the level of exhaustion and emotional turbulence she is going through - and all Bostonians.

re: images - seems like specific photos, even when grim/gory, have made a defining impact on people about horrific events. I wouldn't want to eradicate some of those photos from history. I think it becomes overload and tips to inappropriate now because 1) EVERYONE has a camera on them, so photos and videos can come from the very moment something happens 2) internet and 24/7 tv coverage guarantee that the public will be deluged with images. it's overwhelming, and it can become overkill. But I admit - I took a 5 hour break from media last night, and when I came back, was wanting there to be coverage on tv so I could get up to speed, and I had missed the special news reports. 3) The effort (and demand) to make all images available immediately means there is little filtering or editing. I wanted to see some images, in an attempt to understand the incomprehensible, but I'm afraid to click on any photostreams because I don't think I can take close up images of severed limbs and people in agony. At least not on a day when I have to go to work and be functional.

3. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

I feel the same as you. I have to be careful what I hear & see because horrific things can haunt me & disturb my sleep for months/years. But too much hiding from evil lets people trivialize it to a certain degree. You can talk about 9-11 but without pictures of the destruction you can't really identify with it. The victims become those "other people" who aren't real to us. I don't need to see severed limbs but the knowledge that about 140 people were injured doesn't have the impact that the knowledge that many of the injured have severed limbs has.

Rex and (deleted member) like this.
  4. made_in_canada

made_in_canada INTJ

(((Bostonians))) (((runners))) (((first responders, nurses, doctors)))

5. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I think what really makes an impact isn't the numbers or the pictures, but the personal stories. There's a difference between reading that many people lost limbs and reading the story of a person who lost a limb, or worse, lost their life.

6. J-Ro

J-Ro Active Member

Uncontroversial? We're hugely controversial. We're the godless liberals up here in Massachusetts, the bluest of the blue states. We have that evil institution called Harvard. And same-sex marriage. A LOT of people in the country don't like us. But I don't think that has anything to do with the bombings. Instead, the marathon is a huge international event, the most prestigious marathon in the world. All the best runners from all over the world race in it because not just anyone can enter. You must qualify. Besides, it's a holiday--Patriots Day--in Massachusetts in commemmoration of the "shot heard 'round the world," or the battle of Lexington and Concord, the first battle of the American Revolution back in 1775 (you know--the one made famous by Paul Revere's ride). It's a big party: A lot of people have the day off and schools are closed. If you wanted to make a statement by a bombing, this would be the event.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  7. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

Massachusetts voted for McGovern! ;)

8. J-Ro

J-Ro Active Member

Exactly. I'm in the Boston area and I thought the situation was handled brilliantly by the police (who already had a plan in case something like this happened). The abundance of medical personnel and the close proximity to a concentration of the best hospitals in the world likely saved a lot of lives.

9. jeffisjeff

jeffisjeff Well-Known Member

Don't blame me, I'm from Massachusetts

10. J-Ro

J-Ro Active Member

We were the only state that had any sense. :)

11. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

Anita did call it the least uncontroversial -- but she probably meant the opposite. :shuffle:

I'm with those who would rather have the option of NOT seeing excessively gory images. Just reading about severed limbs is disturbing enough for me. Those poor families of those who lost life or limb. :( Praise to all those first responders, official or not, who helped to save lives amid the chaos.

12. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

My heart goes out to you and all Bostonians. (((HUG)))

Your description of the transit stations reminds me of when I lived in Israel...that's SOP there. When I first arrived in Israel all the security, armed guards, young soldiers going to and fro on buses with their machine guns was unnerving. But it was surprising how quickly one adapted to those circumstances, and it just became a part of the environment. Children are taught from early childhood to never touch or approach a suspicious package/parcel, and to report it to an adult. Better safe than sorry is the Israeli motto.

EDIT: Heartbreaking...

13. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

The AP is reporting that the explosives were made from pressure cookers, containing metal and ball bearings. These were then put inside black nylon bags/bookbags.

14. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

yes, you and one entity which has three electoral votes...

15. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Yes, you basically have to let your car and later your bag be inspected whenever you enter someplace public in Israel - it's always strange for me not to have to do that when I'm abroad - and if it's somewhere really busy/crowded, there can be additional security. The soldiers are usually just travelling to and from their bases (Israeli soldiers go home more frequently than American college students...) and they're not on duty, but I can see how it would appear unnerving to someone not used to it.

16. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Yes, I did. :eek:

17. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/16/us/boston-boy-killed/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

This is the most heartbreaking story (so far) - can't imagine what that poor man (father/husband/runner) must be going through. His 8 year old son is dead. His 6 year old daughter had her leg amputated (she is expected to survive), and his wife underwent surgery due to brain injury (not sure about her status). All this because of a few crazy people that take sick pleasure in hurting others.:mad::(

18. Vash01

Bostonfan, I just posted a link to an article about this family- I had not read your post at that time. I am so sorry to hear this. It must be so hard for your Dad. My thoughts are with all those affected by this horrible tragedy.

19. PRlady

PRlady Smoking

April is the month of the Oklahoma City bombing, Waco, Columbine, Hitler's birthday and yesterday was federal tax day as well. The MA celebration is called "Patriot's Day." The bomb does not sound like the Al Qaeda MO.

It could be a lone nut without ideology but I'll be very surprised if that's the case.

20. Vash01

My deepest condolences to you Bostonians.

21. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

I'd be surprised as well. I'm thinking the date was picked purposefully. But I also think it may be someone home-grown, not representative of a foreign group. The date, to me, is more symbolic within the US than outside it. Likewise, Boston is a secondary city, less of an obvious target from overseas - as the Dept. of Homeland Security has said, it's a place that terrorists from outside the US gather and plan, in order to execute in NYC; not necessarily a place specifically targeted itself.

But that's just me guessing.

Everyone at home is really shook up, as one might imagine. Happily, my friends running had either already finished the race, or were stopped in Newton. But everyone there is really freaked out about this, understandably. I think - and this is just me trying to remember my history, so I could be incorrect - that the last terrorist bombing in Boston was in the early 1900's, around the time of WW1, when anarchist activity there was quite high. So it's been generations since the city was last targeted like this.

22. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

I have no idea if the date or the city played a major (or any) role in this horrible bombing. If anything, I think the large gathering of people and the high visibility of the event world-wide, and especially the media coverage at the finish line, may have played as much a role as anything. I can't comprehend what goes on in the mind of anyone unbalanced or fanatical enough to do something like this, so I'm probably completely off track. I just hope whoever is responsible is apprehended and prevented from doing something similar again.

23. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

Here is something strange. My BF called a little while ago. she said to me: Who do you think did this? I replied that it doesn't seem like the typical "terrorist" plot - no one is scrambling to take credit for it. She said she thought it was the gun lobbyists. I gasped because that was my first thought, as well. that some extreme nut job gun enthusiast wanted to prove that you could cause mass destruction with something other than a gun. I hope I (we) am crazy wrong.

24. Simone411

Simone411 Just Flip-Flopping Around

I found out last night there were around 12 runners from the ArkLaTex (a couple I knew). Some areas included Shreveport (Red River Roadrunners), Bossier and Texarkana. All the runners were okay. Here's a video from KTBS news in Shreveport if anyone's interested:

http://www.ktbs.com/news/Local-Reac...bings/-/144844/19762660/-/f23nj6/-/index.html

The American Red Cross has responded to the Boston Marathon explosions. They give a list of ways to help which include donating blood:

http://www.redcross.org/news/press-release/Red-Cross-Response-to-the-Boston-Marathon-Explosions

My heart goes out to all the families. I just can't comprehend how anyone can be that evil ... and that's what it is. Pure evil. :(

25. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

those stories about the Richard family are so heartbreaking :fragile:

26. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

There are some whack-jobs out there. I was at work when I heard about it.
    I wonder why they waited until well after the elite athletes had crossed the line.

27. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

The other two deaths were female adults. One has been identified as 29-yr-old Krystle Campbell, a restaurant manager from Arlington. She and a friend were there to watch the race and cheer on Krystle's boyfriend; her friend was injured.

28. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

Reading all the reports, I wonder if the bomber's intent was to kill or just maim. For the amount of people who were packed in the area and how many were injured, the death toll is shockingly, amazingly low. It sounded like the blast was concentrated at people's legs, whether by accident or design. That would account for the high number of amputations but low number of fatal injuries.

I can't imagine how the survivors are going to pick up their lives and go on, but at least they still HAVE their lives.

29. pat c

pat c Well-Known Member

I can not imagine how you are all feeling and dealing with this. My heart goes out to all the people in Boston. I and many many others would stand in a long line if we could undo what has happened to these innocent bystanders. tears.......

30. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

The time when the bombs went off, in relation to when the race started, is historically when the largest amount of runners are finishing the race.

I'm going to Boston in two weeks, for my sixth time there. It's a wonderful city that I always look forward to visiting, and I am so saddened by all this....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.