Explosion near the finish line of Boston Marathon (threads merged)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by ioana, Apr 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

I've been reading the live blog at boston.com; there have been several posts stating that the last mile of the marathon was dedicated to Newtown, CT., and families of Newton victims were seated in VIP section 10 feet from explosion :wideeyes: :fragile:.

Can anyone confirm or refute this? It is one thing (out of several) being reported that I hope is found not to be the case :(.

2. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

Yes, I have read that this is true.

EDIT:

The Boston Marathon's Final Mile Was Dedicated to Newtown Victims

Adding further heartbreak to utter tragedy, the last mile of Monday's Boston Marathon, which was rocked by at least two explosions resulting in an unknown number of injuries and casualties Monday afternoon, was dedicated to the victims of the Sandy Hook Elementary...

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/nati...nal-mile-was-dedicated-newtown-victims/64250/

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  3. Jimena

Jimena Well-Known Member

And Wall Street Journal backs off the reports about undetonated devices. Officials are still investigating.

I so wish the media would shut up before spreading all this misinformation.

4. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

I agree. It is irresponsible. They do it every time something like this happens and they never seem to learn. All they do is spread rumors.

5. dardar1126

NBC is now airing a special program about the bombings in Boston.

6. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

Out of all the comments I've read around and about on various sites, I had to shake my head over this one...

Someone actually complained about how the flags were just tossed to the ground as those First Responders/Police were trying to pull off the fencing and what not to get to victims close by the explosions. Also, how would you feel if that was your Country's flag that had just been tossed to the ground and how this could really end up becoming a major Intl incident.

Really? Of all the stuff that has happened today, *that's* what one stupid nimrod decides needs to be said?

I really do wonder about certain people at times like this....:rolleyes:

7. misskarne

misskarne #408

But if they waited for confirmations, people would be screaming their heads off that the media aren't doing their job or aren't keeping them informed.

8. wristflick

wristflick New Member

How tragic when that was such a fun and popular event. I hope people wont be too scared to run it now. That would be awful. It is horrible even a few people died from it.

9. wristflick

wristflick New Member

Omigod, so were those the people who were the casualties! Nothing could be more wrong and cruel than that.

10. AragornElessar

Not only that, but this is an on going story and information changes *fast*. Mistakes are going to happen. It's called live as it happens Journalism.

I keep forgetting though....The Media's supposed to be perfect all the time.

11. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

I don't think that's necessarily the case. I wouldn't jump to that conclusion. The bomb seems to have gone off on the sidewalk. Normally, guests of honor would have been in the stands, not on the sidewalk.

12. dardar1126

13. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

There is a line. And the problem that develops is that one news outlet reports a rumor then other report it as a fact because the first one reported it. There was an interesting analysis of this written about the Manti Te'o girlfriend hoax--basically local news in South Bend reported the story without verifying facts. National outlets like ESPN/ABC Sports and SI then picked it up and did not consider verifying because they assumed the local news outlets had verified. It becomes nothing more than a big circle of untruth that is mostly based on wanting to not get scooped by someone else. And the same thing has happened today. With the Te'o story, it really didn't matter all that much. But in circumstances like this it can have negative consequences.

Yes, mistakes will happen in "as it happens" reporting. But more care could be taken. I noticed that CNN today was careful to say "we don't have a confirmation on that" about a lot of things and that is the more responsible way to put information out there if you can't verify it. MSNBC, on the other hand, was reporting pretty much anything that may have crossed Twitter as true then having to go back and say it wasn't true later. The problem is that reporting without verifying can be damaging. Recall how Adam Lanza's brother was falsely implicated in the immediate aftermath of Newtown. No one should have to go through such a thing.

14. jeffisjeff

jeffisjeff Well-Known Member

So sad. So many of us have spent so much time in that area. Growing up in the Boston area, Patriot's Day has always been a holiday for me. We always watched the marathon from near Wellesley College; it is such a big event in the Boston area.

I turned on NBC to watch Revolution, but they're showing a special about the bombings. I shouldn't be watching, because I can't really handle it, but I am.

15. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

{{{{{Boston, and all those affected by this horrific event}}}}}}

16. dardar1126

20 Gentle Quotations from Mister Rogers
    Read the full text here: http://mentalfloss.com/article/31936/20-gentle-quotations-mister-rogers#ixzz2QafHvaAZ
    --brought to you by mental_floss!

17. AragornElessar

It's so much easier when you're watching from home and haven't a clue about how Broadcast Journalism works, isn't it? As I said, mistakes happen and when something like what happened to Adam Lanza's Brother happens, the correction is made just as quickly. I also happen to know his Brother was also apologized to personally by the Networks. You tend to hear those kind of things when your a Member of two Journalism organizations and you know in the weeks and months after something like this happens, there is a look over how the respective Networks handled things and changes made due to those meetings.

Once again, it's *live* and mistakes happen. It's going to happen again during the next tragic mass horror that gets covered. It happened during September 11th, it happened during Columbine, it happened during the London bombings and it will happen again.

Just as I know you and others will bitch about how the Media gets it wrong during theses things over and over and over as well. As I said, it's oh so easy to be perfect when you're watching at home.

18. dardar1126

19. Prancer

Prancer Jawwalking Staff Member

Where are you watching?

I don't expect perfection, just some responsibility.

Adam Lanza's brother got apologies. How nice. What happened between the time it was reported that he was the shooter or possibly working with the shooter and the time that he got his apologies? Such things might just be mistakes as far as the media is concerned, but those mistakes can have grave consequences for innocent people. Adam Lanza's brother is STILL getting crap from people who think he must have been involved because they heard it on the news.

Mistakes are inevitable, but good quality control can make a huge difference in the number of mistakes that are made--and that applies to broadcast journalism just as well as it does to anything else.

20. Tammi

Tammi Soon to be Nana

Have been watching the hospital press conferences on local Boston TV, so far 2 hospitals reporting in that they have not found "ball bearings" in those that have been treated, just expected street debris. I'm dropping someone off at Logan Airport tomorrow morning, we are planning to arrive at least 2 hours ahead of the flight time. Expecting lots of additional security, including most likely spot checks of vehicles entering the airport.

21. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Those were really unnecessary comments. I can tell from the posts here that there are a number of posters who have a very good idea of how broadcast journalism works, and recognize the problems that happen with live coverage. And there is nothing wrong with criticizing mistakes in live coverage - the networks and their staff want to get it right as much as anyone else does, and if there is a rush to judgement without adequate facts, that should be pointed out.

22. ballettmaus

ballettmaus Well-Known Member

Reporting something that wasn't confirmed by the authorities is not a mistake. And it's entirely avoidable through a) not reporting it until it's confirmed, b) double checking and c) how the news are phrased. A good example, I guess, is that one channel, I cannot remember which one, was reporting that there was a suspect in custody about an hour or so after the news was broken that the authorities were questioning a student in a hospital. I doubt that was a mistake made because it was live coverage since I heard it on only that one channel.

One unfortunate development that I've noticed with the media these days is that they prefer to be sensational and the first to report something and having the best headline over responsible journalism and everything that goes with it. Not every news station/newspaper at the same amount of course but generally, that's the impression they're giving me personally.

23. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Everett, Washington article titled "Lake Stevens runner just feet from blast in Boston": http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20130415/NEWS01/704159868

24. dardar1126

Watching the late repeat of The Rachel Maddow Show...she's reciting the details of bombings in the US since 1993 (i.e. 1st World Trade Center attack)...just reminded me that I was living in Boston when I turned on the TV in 1995 and saw the report of the Oklahoma City bombing!

Was shocked at the news in 1995...am just as shocked in 2013. :eek:

25. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Al Jazeera (English version) showed a press conference with I think the Chief of Police in Boston -- definitely a higher up in the PD -- who said that while they were talking to some people, they didn't have a suspect, and certainly not one in Brigham and Women's Hospital. He asked the media not to pass on the incorrect reports.

They also interviewed a surgeon who went to the race as a spectator and who provided medical help at the scene. He said that it was like an IED in Afganistan. He saw one man whose legs were blown off and another whose foot was. He also described a parent holding a child, who was "expired."

26. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

Just found out from my dad that the 8 year old that died was his neighbor's son. And his neighbor's wife and daughter (same family) are undergoing surgery. :(

Lilia A, Rob, michaelfsfan and 5 others like this.
  27. skatefan

skatefan Well-Known Member

(((Boston and all those affected))) Just awful news

28. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

^ Oh, my. That's horrible. :eek: My thoughts & prayers are with Boston. May whomever did this despicable act be caught, and & may justice be done!

29. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates Well-Known Member

30. FGRSK8

FGRSK8 In Search of a Lost Chord

The best answer I can give you is from my friend Steve who survived the North Tower of the WTC. He was upset that the media removed the more gruesome pictures of the 9/11 attack. Why? Because he said we always see pictures of the happy and good sides of life. People should also see the opposite when pure evil runs amuck and the consequences there of.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.