Explosion near the finish line of Boston Marathon (threads merged)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by ioana, Apr 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

From Twitter, one of our Sesame Street friends has also tweeted a message...

And to repeat what the folks on Sesame Street tweeted earlier today, please keep the little ones exposure to the news coverage of not only today, but the coming days as well, as close to as little as possible. Talk to them about it in language they can understand, but try to keep them from seeing the news if you can tonight.

2. Alixana

Alixana who is on vacation!!

There are many, many good people in the world.

3. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

I lived in Boston in the 90s...still consider it my 2nd home...I feel your pain and wish I was "back home." :fragile:

4. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I did not hear about this at all today until I signed online and saw something on Facebook. I am horrified and thinking of everyone who is there.

5. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

Friends and family back home in Boston are OK; my parents were outside all day doing yard/housework and didn't even know about it until I called repeatedly.

Sad. Deeply familiar with Boylston Street, a nice, walkable street with wide sidewalks. The 1st bomb went off directly across from the Boston Public Library where I'd often camped out as a kid doing schoolwork. Looks like the 2nd bomb went off near the busy Walgreen's down the street, directly across from the Prudential Center mall entrance.

6. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

Just remember that high school kids do not equal "little ones"; even middle school students do not. Ignorance is not good for them. I remember this advice leading even parents of 18 year old seniors to want us to not discuss the events in the aftermath of 9/11.

7. dardar1126

Twitter:

THIS is what Boston is all about!

EDIT:

8. dardar1126

So sad. I too used to walk that area all the time; attended many a free summer concert in Copley Square. I feel just gutted by what has happened. :(

Glad that your friends and family are okay.

9. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

I agree that our high schoolers need to know, but there needs to be some limited viewing. I had a freshman son in high school at the time of 9/11. Like many of us, the teachers were glued to the TV. My son came home and said that at some point during the day, the TVs should have been turned off. He said that he could only absorb so much and to hear about heads rolling down the towers over and over again was .... and to know that there was nothing he could do.

UMBS - I am glad you were able to talk to your parents. After your experiences on 9/11 in NYC, I can not imagine the thoughts that had to be going through your mind.

10. dardar1126

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  11. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

Glad to hear your family and friends are safe. It must be so hard to hear this about the places you must have so many memories about.

12. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

This news just saddens and mortifies me beyond words. I have a cousin who [I believe] posted a qualifying time for Boston this year, but elected to not run because his brother is getting married this weekend. I also noticed that the explosions went off 4 hours and 9 minutes into the race... when I ran my marathon in 2010, I finished in 4 hours and 2 minutes. Real scary stuff, and as a runner myself, it almost feels like some my friends were the ones who were attacked.

13. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Praying for those injured and their loved ones.

14. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

The latest reports are 134 injured, 15 critically, with two dead at this point.

The Boston Globe is reporting this:

15. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

For former boy band New Kids on the Block fans, joey tweeted that he crossed finish line 5 minutes before explosion & he is okay.

16. PDilemma

We did turn the televisions off at my school that day. They were on for a bit, but not the entire day. After viewing for a bit initially, we had our normal Tuesday mini-chapel service and prayed for everything with the kids (Catholic school), then we tried to make the day as normal as we could.

But we had parents who thought even their seniors should have remained totally ignorant of the event and its aftermath and cited the advice being given in the media to 'shield children". That does not mean young adults old enough to vote (or about to be) nor does it mean all children should be kept in total ignorance. Pre-schoolers (the Sesame Street audience) do not need much information at all. Teenagers need the truth and it doesn't need to be whitewashed. My problem with all this shielding of children from current events is that we can't flip a switch and make them care about the world when they reach whatever the magic age to stop the shielding is. They need age appropriate discussions of tragedies, politics, elections, everything. That is how you grow adults who care and who participate in democracy.

17. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

18. AragornElessar

UMBS Go Blue and Fridge_Break...Glad you and yours are all okay and I am so sorry this has happened. That goes to all of our FSUer's who know and love Boston. I've never been, but have heard it's a great city to visit. Taking in a game at Fenway's on my bucket list, so hopefully I'll find that out for myself someday.

Those stories of people literally taking the coats off their backs to put over runners heading towards hypothermia, the runners who kept on running in order to give blood, the people who are opening their homes...There truly are good people out there who are doing whatever they can to help their city get through this. That's the Boston I've heard about from Family and Friends and the one that will get through this.

19. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Anyone still looking for a runner or the runner's supporters is to check in at the Castle on Huntington Ave. It will be staffed tonight and they are busing runners in from outside the secure area to meet their families.

eta, if you have business in Boston outside of the restricted area, things should be fine tomorrow but parking garages may ask to inspect vehicles. Businesses on upper Boylston and upper Newbury (Exeter to the Public Garden) will be closed.

20. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

Various Press Photos from Boston Explosions and Their Aftermath

Really poignant, heart-breaking stuff in the link above :fragile: :(

According to the info posted on the CNN Live Blog,

- Number of injured has climbed to 141. At least 17 of the injured are in critical condition, and at least 25 are in serious condition, area hospitals said.

- One of the dead is an 8 year-old boy

- Doctors are "pulling ball bearings out of people in the emergency room," a terrorism expert briefed on the investigation told CNN's Deborah Feyerick.

- U.S. Rep. Bill Keating, D-Massachusetts, who is a member of the House Homeland Security committee and has spoken to law enforcement sources, tells CNN's Dierdre Walsh that the incidents were a "sophisticated, coordinated, planned attack."

-

21. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

The ATF is now taking over the bomb scene. The FBI is now leading the investigation.

Wall Street Journal reports that an additional five undetonated devices have been found.

NY Times is reporting a third person has died.

22. AragornElessar

When I heard about the ball bearings, that sickening feeling I've had since hearing about this deepened. Just...:(

23. PDilemma

Police/FBI/DOJ presser just included that there is NOT a suspect at Brigham and Women's hospital.

I wish the news people still went with confirming/verifying info before throwing it on the air or the web. They spread rumors at Newtown and they are doing it again. It is pathetic.

24. AragornElessar

From Twitter...

:(

25. AragornElessar

CNN, CBC and the BBC are all reporting the death toll is now at 3. :(

26. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Careful what you click on. I clicked on a photo on one site, and it enlarged exposing the full frame including what was left of a man's lower leg. It was something I didn't really want to see. There is a warning on it now, but why do they post those photos at all.

27. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I read that the Boston hospitals expect the death toll to rise.

28. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

This is so heartbreaking. What a senseless act :(
    I'm glad all FSUers andd their friends and families are OK so far. My thoughts are out with the family of the dead and wounded.

29. ballettmaus

ballettmaus Well-Known Member

That and the doctors and nurses in a different way. I cannot imagine doing that job at any "regular" time but right now... It must be gut-wrenching and heart-breaking!

Whatever possesses anyone to commit such an act? Simply cruel and senseless!

30. AragornElessar

I said to my Parents earlier tonight that if it didn't rise, it would be surprising. When you look at the size of both blasts, how one witness said they saw a trash can explode and hearing about the ball bearings being found and....Sadly, it looks like I won't be wrong on this one and I really wish I was. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.