Explosion near the finish line of Boston Marathon (threads merged)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by ioana, Apr 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

I'm so glad you heard from him and that he is alright. Thank goodness for traffic. And please don't ever feel embarrassed for having a good and caring heart.

2. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

The actual date of Patriot's Day is April 19. Its like Washington and MLK's birthdays now and moves to a Monday, but the real day historically was April 19. Not that this has anything to do with anything, its just part of my Boston heritage to me. ETA: It is the observance of the Battles of Lexington & Concord which occurred on April 19.

3. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

It was a terrorist attack. That should not be in question. The question is was it a domestic or international terrorist.

Boston Police Commissioner currently on live says no suspects in custody and police presence at hospitals is precautionary and should not be construed as having to do with suspects or persons of interest.

4. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

The Boston Symphony has cancelled their performance for this evening.

5. sk8pics

sk8pics Well-Known Member

Are there any FSUers in the area we should also worry about?

I heard from my cousin who lives in New Hampshire but is often in Boston on business. Fortunately he was not there today.

A close friend of mine has run the Boston Marathon twice in his life... Makes it hit closer to home for me.

6. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

I watched the starting line as I do every year, so I was no where near the chaos. But I've been going to this event since I was 5 y/o. So many amazing memories. This news devastates me.

7. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Obama speech should be beginning now, stuck at work...

8. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Patriot's Day is a big day in *Boston*. The rest of MA doesn't get a holiday (in fact in Concord it was one of those days we more or less HAD to work) so no one really liked it. I honestly completely forgot it was anything special until someone on the news mentioned it now.

Haven't heard anything except the people from the Zoo are safe, I'm just assuming (because positive thinking, yeah) that most people I know just can't get to phones/computers to update that they're okay.

Shades of the IRA in the bad old days--target crowds on the street with package bombs designed to throw shrapnel. Could be a cell like London and the bombings on the underground.

9. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Yahoo headline says Boston PD denies a suspect is in custody.

10. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

Cyn, looking at a calendar, April 19, 1993 was on a Monday, and April 19, 1995 was on a Wednesday. I remember 1995 really well because I had Thursday and Friday off from school, and we got out early on Wednesday. I was all happy that was going to get home to watch my soaps, but yeah that didn't exactly work out.

11. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I may have spoken too soon about my cousin . . . neither he nor his girlfriend has updated Facebook or Twitter, and I can't find any mention of them anywhere online. Prayers for Joe and Judith would be appreciated. And for their kids as well.

12. genevieve

13. Wyliefan

14. genevieve

yeah, I remembered to check my HS acquaintance (who I know is ok) and she came with no results. keeping fingers crossed for your cousins

15. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

Thoughts and prayers to everyone affected by todays attack. My cousin and his family watched the marathon go by his home. It's such a celebratory event that has been ruined this day.

16. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Cell shutdown scared the bejeezus out of most of my coworkers who were trying to reach family and friends. When we switched to twitter, we were able to reach all but one. As of 5:00, we still couldn't find her. Hope she's ok.

17. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

Talking to Sasherka online now. She is in the office 10 miles from Boston

BlueRidge and (deleted member) like this.
  18. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

Had to run an errand...oldies radio station played a song by BOSTON..& I cranked that volume sky high! :angryfire

EDIT:

Twitter:

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  19. 4rkidz

4rkidz plotting, planning and travelling

my hubby was telling me a couple of guys from england were watching the race and his buddy got his leg blown off.. and now it seems a lot of those who are critical and one who has died are children.. this is just so awful, my heart goes out to the people of Boston and so glad to hear that so many are donating blood for the hospitals to use... my good friend FB message me as she is in boston visiting her kids as its a holiday day for them (one in college and one in boarding school) and they were downtown and she said in the restaurant the whole place 'shook'.. I'm so glad she was there for her kids as she lives in San Fran and would have been awful to have been on the west coast when both of your children are in Boston..

20. Alixana

Alixana Definitely NOT a sonogram

Didn't USFSA announce today that Boston was the site they're putting forward for the 2016 Worlds? Happy news for Mass. skating fans and then this. I would go to Boston no matter what.

21. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

Checking in from Boston. We are utterly devastated at what happened in our City today. My prayers go out to the injured and to those who lost their lives today.
    I have been glued to my TV since 3:00 p.m. Our city is in a lock-down for the next 24-48 hours. I have no words just sadness.

22. 4rkidz

Terror attacks can happen anywhere.. I remember Oklahoma.. who would have thought a place like that would be attacked?

23. Wyliefan

Cousin & girlfriend are okay, according to Facebook. Thanks for the prayers and good wishes. Still praying for all the others affected.

24. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

Oh, no! Please, please let us know when you hear from them. I know you will.

Already answered. So relieved for you.

25. 4rkidz

we are hearing reports about how great your city is coping with this and offering accomodation for the tourists all stuck there and also giving blood for those injured.. I love your city and won't let this stop me coming again for vacations.. friggin cowards who do this kind of crap..

26. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Very good news about your family! Hoping for the best for everyone else affected by this. No idea what the lock-down means in terms of work, etc.

27. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates Well-Known Member

I'm watching NBC and for the 57th time Brian Williams has asked the person he's interviewing if they anticipated this happening when they woke up today.

I just found out from my Mom that the daughter of a family friend ran the marathon today, she passed the finish line about 30 minutes before the bombs went off. Thankfully, her and her family are ok.

28. Alixana

Alixana Definitely NOT a sonogram

29. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

kittyjake, I know there's nothing I can do or say, but please know there are many millions of people around the World keeping you and your fellow Bostonians in their thoughts and prayers tonight. Including three in this house in Northeastern Ontario. ((((kittyjake and Boston))))

Thanks for letting us know.

I'm reading on Twitter one of the two we know were killed was 8 years old? Just.... :(

30. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Housing exchange is up and running. The BAA expects most runners who have been forced out of the Copley area hotels will have a place to stay tonight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.