Explosion near the finish line of Boston Marathon (threads merged)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by ioana, Apr 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I guess that makes sense then, thanks for the info.

2. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Yeah, live press conference says "we do not have any development about that search to tell you"

3. lurvylurker

lurvylurker Active Member

Yes, I just changed my original post to apologize for jumping to that conclusion. CNN showed them taking someone into custody, but obviously it was not the suspect. Again, I apologize - I was just so relieved that it might have been over.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  4. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

end of press conference: new developments coming together, hope to inform people through media in about an hour

5. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

6. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

The way CNN sensationalizes everything, I can see where viewers might mistakenly jump to conclusions - they often run footage while talking about something else, and the headlines at the bottom of the page give one the impression there's breaking news when most of the time, they are just repeating the same thing over and over.

Anyone watch celebrity Jeopardy? Anderson did OK, but Wolf was one of the worst players I've ever seen. He may have had his day years ago when he was a White House correspondent, but nowadays he's no more than a talking head.

7. Skittl1321

Parapharsed conversation from the news I'm watching:
    Al Jeezera reporter "You can't possibly expect people to stay locked indoors for the whole weekend?"
    Guy being interviewed (didn't catch who it was, an American) "Well...(pauses for a second) we can certainly ask them. It's for their safety"
    Reporter: "But it is such a huge area"
    Guy: "It's a request, not an order. The suspect has proven to be extremely dangerous. Most of the public wants to cooperate with this.

So it sounds like they might be in for a long road here... The reporter is incredulous at the idea of shelter in place for several days.

8. rfisher

rfisher At least I still have Pairs to look forward to

Neither do I. Kids this age can be technologically smart enough to build a bomb (it's not that difficult), but that doesn't mean they have the long term planning skills to explode the bomb and then get away. They'd have dropped the backpacks, walked away, made the call and kept walking. If they had a car, they'd have just left. No body would have done a profile of them. However, they didn't give consideration of all the cameras on the finish line. They didn't make an effort to disguise themselves. They didn't try to escape until their pictures were broadcast. If they were part of a bigger cell, it's pretty disorganized as well or they wouldn't have been left on their own with the possibility of capture and interrogation giving up the others. They could have disappeared into the homeless community. Every major city has one and it's the perfect spot to become faceless and nameless.

9. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Oh dear me - they have an aunt living in Toronto (where I live):

10. cruisin

cruisin Banned Member

I can understand his denial, it would be devastating to find out your children did such a thing. But threats? He certainly isn't making it easy to even consider his kids don't have violent tendencies.

11. overedge

overedge where's the remote?

Just woke up to find all of this going on :eek:
    I've been to a conference at MIT for the past couple of years, and stayed in different places right around Kendall Square. How scary it is to see photos of police in full tactical gear swarming through streets that I know very well. I can't even imagine what it is like for those in Boston right now. ((hugs to FSUers there))

12. PRlady

PRlady flipflack

I just remembered our New England regional director lives in Watertown. He emailed us all telling us it was quiet at his end of town except for the military helicopters circling overhead (I get that in DC and you get used to it fast) and his kids are watching G-rated videos. Martial law for one crazy 19-year-old. Sigh.

13. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

Just so people don't take PRhyperbolelady too seriously, according to my sister, anyone can go out and about and will not be stopped, the authorities are simply asking everyone to "shelter-in-place," it is essentially voluntary and most are complying (unless they find an urgent need for donuts overwhelming them...)

Its not martial law and the city is not under siege. I point this out due to long experience. Many years ago in D.C. some people shot a member of our city council and also were barricaded somewhere else in the city, the details are fuzzy to me, but what we heard back from people around the rest of the country made it clear they thought the entire city was in a violent conflagration. I also remember when people were saying the US media is totally censored for the Iraq war and a non-US poster took this literally and started trying to tell us what was going on outside the US. Hyperbole.

14. genevieve

I think this was hours long, but I just saw the interview with the car mechanic who saw the brothers between the bombing and yesterday. Utterly heartbreaking. I can totally understand how anyone would just not put two and two together about someone you know well - or think you do.

ever since I woke up (~ 2 hrs ago) there have been mentions in the twitterverse about an old man with a "dead switch", sounded like someone who may have been rigged with possible explosives? but none of the news sources have been mentioning it. I can't tell if this is something that happened hours and hours ago and is resolved, or it was not related, or it was just misinformation.

15. Skittl1321

THIS. Not martial law. People can do what they want, and at this point it appears they want to help the authorities by keeping the streets clear and keeping themselves out of danger.

The only areas people actually can't go are the ones the police have specifically blocked off.

No businesses are open, so most people don't have anywhere to go anyway- the photo I saw of Dunkin Donuts made it appear PLENTY of people made their way there this morning!

16. genevieve

another press conference - talking about large #s of people who went to work in downtown Boston before hearing the request to stay home. speaking directly to those people - do not expect you to stay there, go ahead and leave, drive home. understand public transit closed. taxis now running, call a friend to come get you. make clear we do not expect people to shelter in businesses. if you are at work, feel free to leave.

17. PRlady

PRlady flipflack

I used the description from my colleague, since his house has been searched by the police as have most houses in Watertown. That's a component of martial law and certainly not ordinary.

18. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

I'm sorry cruisin, but I could see after the previous Post mis-identification of the teen and a thought of racial/religious profiling plus being a father of two adult sons who have been accused of these heinous acts to be in that shock. Yeah, it is possible to be in that much denial and to be that angry/upset with media/any one who is making accusations despite any evidence presented.

But the overwhelming evidence is that they are his sons. As I said yesterday I can not imagine what the family and particularly parents are feeling.

19. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

Martial law is the suspension of civil government. So no even in Watertown it is not martial law. Watertown is a crime scene. And the focus on an ongoing police investigation. No, it certainly is not ordinary, but I just don't like it when people use inflammatory terms casually when people in more distant places may take them literally.

Also there's a big difference between your colleague saying it feels like martial law and saying it is martial law.

I admit this is my kneejerk Americanism acting. I really get sick of hearing people in other countries mischaracterize things here because of things other Americans are saying. The authorities in Boston so far have been doing a great job, I'd rather not see people left with the impression that they are implementing martial law!

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  20. Skittl1321

Even if it feels that way, martial law is an exageration; our government is still functioning as intended. The police have authority to search, and I would assume if a homeowner denied them access (I don't think they are forcibly searching anything), they would be able to get a specific warrant.

What I do wonder is- what happens if they search through a house with a basement pot growing farm. Do they just ignore it because they have better things to do? What about when better things are done... Is that person protected because of the reason the house was searched (without a warrant with probable cause for that reason).

21. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

It's not ordinary, but how it is martial law? My understanding is that martial law is the suspension or overriding of other laws, giving government or the military the right to run things their way. The only thing I'm seeing them override right now is perhaps getting search warrants to visit each house and business in the area, but I would think that most people are letting them in regardless to be of assistance. I guess some might claim later that their rights have been infringed upon, but I don't think this is martial law.

22. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

23. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I don't think it's just Americans and I see your point. It's more than four decades ago now, but older Canadians will remember the October Crisis of 1970, when the government invoked the War Measures Act, which is equivalent to martial law. I remember studying it in school and debating whether the government should have done it, and the topic continues to come up every now and then and is still debated.

I think there's also a danger of overblowing things right at home - there are enough conspiracy theorists and militia out there and some segments segments of the gun lobby and preppers that I would be concerned about feeding their fires with stuff like this.

24. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

25. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

I understand what both of you are saying.

I don't know PR's colleague or anything about their background, ethnicity, nor how it feels to be there, but if someone looks like a certain ethnic group and has had some experience with profiling, it could be that her friend feels like it is martial law. Rights being taken away as I assume the colleague has no right to refuse search. Your house is being invaded so to say by military type people. I imagine that along with fear of the suspects gives them a different perspective.

I do think that the Boston authorities as well as the FBI have done an excellent job. And that we should be aware that this is an international board with varied experiences. In no way do I think it is martial law.

26. skatefan

skatefan Well-Known Member

27. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

With, for me, an irritating voice and cadence in his speaking. :lol: Wish I'd seen it, though.

28. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

I think it'd be more about the coffee...

milanessa and (deleted member) like this.
  29. Skittl1321

I've very interested to know if this is true. Social media and regular media hasn't picked up anything about people complaining about this. Americans LOVE to whine about their rights being violated. So what happens if you do refuse the search? It is possible they have a warrant for the whole area, which means you can't refuse it, but your right hasn't been violated. The right is no -unreasonable- search. I don't know if warrants work that way to cover an area though.

30. Jenya

Jenya Well-Known Member

I love how this aunt keeps telling the media to pay attention and that she wishes they were lawyers like she is so they would be able to listen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.