Explosion near the finish line of Boston Marathon (threads merged)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by ioana, Apr 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I just checked FB and discovered that a girl I went to high school with ran the marathon today. She's fine, and her whole group is fine - but I saw her post this morning about getting ready to race and didn't even connect the dots to this marathon until right now. small world, glad to hear she's okay.
  2. pat c

pat c Well-Known Member

Do these nutcases have nothing better to do?

This is so tragic.
  3. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

It's also Patriot's Day, which marks the start of the Revolutionary War. It's a big deal in Massachussetts, or was when I was there at least.
    ABC is talking about it a bit now- saying that Patriot's Day has a large tie to domestic terrorism- that the Waco compound raid took place on that day, as well as the OKC bombing (though not the same date as today, since the observed day is always a Monday.)
  4. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

5. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

Thank God, iona. I've been watching ever since it came on as a special report. As far I know from what's being reported that there were 2 more small bombs/packages located in two hotels - both in the same area. From what's been stated, there will be extreme precautions taken now for the British Marathon whenever they have it.

There was approximately 23 injured and at least 2 dead. The Red Sox game tonight was also mentioned. So, I'm assuming there will be a lot of security there. I'm wondering if they'll still even have the game.
  6. Skittl1321

So glad your friend is okay!
  7. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

Pleased to hear that the family, friends and loved ones have been accounted for and are okay.
  8. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

It was just mentioned that the small bombs may have been the kind of bombs that were used in Iraq.
  9. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

What if it does end up being done by some right-wing nutjob?
    Considering what happened in OKC, I wouldn't be surprized.
  10. AragornElessar

AragornElessar New Member

I can't believe what I am watching or hearing. Just...My God.

Glad to hear that friends and loved ones of FSUer's who have posted about them are accounted for and okay.

This was just Tweeted...

11. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

Boston Police and the FBI report that there were no threats made against the Marathon.

Police in NYC are on alert right now, and have been strategically deployed around specific areas of the city, just in case.

I understand that London's Marathon is this upcoming weekend, and they're looking at security for that event.

I am heartsick.
  12. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

I'm also wondering the same thing. It's kind of crazy IMO that the bombs didn't go off until 3 hours after the winners crossed the finish line.
  13. GarrAarghHrumph

NY Post says they have a suspect in custody at a local hospital. Suspect was wounded in the bombing.
  14. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

Some people in my office are leaving now, but I'm waiting until after 6pm.
  15. duane

duane New Member

Wow, I had no idea this was happening!!
  16. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

I was doing an errand, got into the car and the news radio station went on, I heard Boston Marathon, building, explosion, and knew my niece was running there. Since the reporters were "borrowed" ones from Boston radio and not my regular Philly news radio ones, I knew it was something big. I finally had to turn off the car radio because I was having a major anxiety attack, and I had to be able to drive home without a total breakdown behind the wheel. She still can't find her DH, although he has been heard from, they just can not connect. Her last post on FB (she must have borrowed a phone?) was something like: so many police, this is scary.
  17. Alixana

Alixana recovering Oly-holic

Maybe someone didn't know exactly what they were doing bomb-wise?? I cannot fathom the mentality of people that do this kind of thing :( (guess that's good though)
  18. dardar1126

Twitter:

19. AragornElessar

CBC Tweet...

CNN is also reporting that Mass General is saying the death toll will be rising, but that was all that was said. I wish I could say I wasn't expecting to hear that, but.... :(
  20. dardar1126

One poster on Twitter said that at that point in the race a large bulk of the non-elite runners are approaching the finish line.
  21. Skittl1321

More finishers are crossing the line later in the marathon than when the winners cross. The winners are also not normally American- if that was the target. Not to mention, having it go off later means they don't have to guess when winners will cross.

The bomb followed by other bomb scenario immediatly made me think of Hunger Games, but then it sounded like the explosions were actually quite close together, so that probably isn't what was happening.

A tiny bit of good news from ABC:
    4:38 pm ET: “There is no sign of any radiological material involved in the explosion,” a federal source tells ABC News.
  22. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

Same here. I can't even imagine what goes on in someone's mind that could do something like.
  23. AragornElessar

CNN showing Gov's Press Conference and he just said there's been a "third incident at the JFK Library...."

Dear God what is going on?
  24. Skittl1321

This (the press conference) is the first I've heard about the JFK incident- what happened there? Were many people involved?
  25. AragornElessar

Don't know, as this is the first I've heard of it too.
  26. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

A very, very good friend of mine is a nurse at Mass General.
    Simone411 and (deleted member) like this.
  27. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

Oh my gosh. This is just totally devastating. My prayers go out to the injured and their families. :(
  28. GarrAarghHrumph

The Police report that they have found other unexploded devices around the city. One was on the glass footbridge over Huntington near Copley.
  29. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

Initial report about 40 mins ago - "JFK Library official: Fire not related to marathon explosions": http://www.dotnews.com/2013/jfk-library-official-fire-not-related-marathon-attack
  30. AragornElessar

Just tweeted...

31. Alixana

Alixana recovering Oly-holic

Nauseating. Prayers for victims and families and all the medical personnel taking care of them.
  32. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

Lacey, I think that's wonderful about your friend being a nurse at Mass General. She'll be a big help there.
  33. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Holy crap, I just found out one of my cousins was there! I was able to check at http://baa.org/individual.html, though, and looks like he and his girlfriend both finished the race. Maybe that means they were out of there before the attack . . .
  34. GarrAarghHrumph

The Police report they have surveillance video of a suspect - bringing multiple backpacks into the blast site.
  35. AragornElessar

Thank God they found that. Don't even want to think about what might have happened if that hadn't been found.

Lacey...My thoughts go out to your friend. My cousins were both working at John Hopkins on September 11th and they both said they *never* want to see that code on their beepers ever again. :(
  36. dardar1126

37. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

Hear on the news that the timing was also to coincide with people leaving the Sox game.

I am just stunned.
  38. GarrAarghHrumph

NY Post reporting 12 dead. Boston Police reporting two dead. The Post is not always to be trusted, but at the same time, they do often lead other news sources.
  39. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

Wyliefan, I'm so glad you're cousin and his girlfriend are okay!
  40. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I fear this is Sandy Hook all over again - lots of misinformation as media outlets race to be the first to report every detail and keep people tuned into their feeds.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.