Explosion near the finish line of Boston Marathon (threads merged)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by ioana, Apr 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

Email message from singer James Taylor:

EDIT:

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  2. KCC

KCC Active Member

Lots of wacko-types crossed my mind, but my best guess is that it was some Boston area college or high school bomb-geek/hermit who wanted to see what kind of chaos he could generate. Kind of like a school shooting outside of the school.

3. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I think many of the people who lost limbs would have bled out if they had to wait for medical care to get to them, but because the marathon has a medical tent to treat a large number of runners, at the finish line, they were able to control bleeding and get people to the hospital much quicker than if this had happened at any other type of event. Marathons expect a high percentage of finishers will need some sort of quick care, and a small percentage will need to be transported- so all of that is already on hand.

4. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

There are reports that the police have found what they believe is the circuit board used to trigger the explosions. ETA: Confirmation by the Boston Globe.

5. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

6. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Even though I am 2000-3000 miles away, I am affected by what happened in Boston. Today just does not seem 'normal' even though I am going through my normal routine. I hope they find the perpetrators and bring them to justice.

7. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

Reports have been that these explosives were not very sophisticated devices, so I doubt "maiming, not killing" was the intent. If the explosive devices were in backpacks on the ground, then it would be expected that most of the damage and injuries would be at a low level, rather than higher up.

Yes, I think the timing probably was meant to be when there were more people there. The fact that there were so many medical personnel already at the finish line to deal with potential marathon runners' usual medical needs, certainly contributed to minimizing the fatalities, which would have been higher otherwise (I read one doctor estimating at least 2 or 3 times higher).

8. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

I think the intent was to terrorize.

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  9. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

I agree. They'd have claimed responsibility by now as well.

10. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

ugh, I know this is inevitable, but how absolutely horrid:
    Boston Marathon charity scams already popping up

People who want to give to support victims, please take an extra moment to make sure that you are giving to a legitimate organization. If you are not 100% certain, do not donate.

11. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

This is so strange! That thought crossed my mind yesterday. What if someone wants to make the point that guns are not the only way to kill people, if someone wants to?...here is an example: a bomb in a crowd. That's what came to my mind. I am not saying that's the case, but it is not an impossibility.

12. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

When I thought of it, I thought: no that can't be. But, at least 3 of us thought it. Scary!

13. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates Well-Known Member

14. snoopy

snoopy Team St. Petersburg

Well to add to that gun nut theory, the bomb makers did *not* use C4 - which IIUC is a regulated material. So the comparison to unregulated bomb materials to unregulated guns would stand. You'd still need technical knowledge to build the bomb though, when almost any hooha can fire off a gun.

15. dardar1126

Twitter:

16. BlueRidge

I'm still going with al qaeda inspired terrorists because I think they are very motivated, and it just seems someone in that category was bound to pull something off sometime.

17. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I had the same thought -- not that it was a gun lobbyist because lobbyists and terrorists are not the same thing, but that it was some nut motivated by the Gun Control debates. It crossed my mind after a gun enthusiast acquaintance of mine pointed out to me yesterday that people don't need guns to kill other people and also asked me if the "liberals" were going to ban knife sales after the stabbing attack in the school in Texas.

Terrorism does not have a legally binding definition or even a consensus definition among countries/experts. Terrorists don't have to act in groups. And individual terrorists do not always call in after the event and claim responsibility or state their motives. Eric Rudolph did not make a statement about the 1996 Atlanta Olympics bombing until 2005 (although he did call the police before the explosion to tell them about the bomb, but he did not identify himself). McVeigh and Nichols didn't call in and claim responsibility (they were apprehended quickly). The anthrax attack terrorist never spoke out. The Unabomber didn't start sending letters and manifestos for years.

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  18. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

19. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

I was getting my hair highllighted today, the man who was getting his haircut in the next chair was adamant that the "arabs" were behind the attack because the President said it was a terrorist attack. That we need to kill them all. It's this kind of jumping to conclusions based on a word or two or what we think it means. People sometimes hear what they want to hear.

20. cruisin

So, that's 4 of us with the same thought.

Are they thinking it's related to Boston?

21. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

I think that what Cyn said earlier in this thread was her concern that a news media source would grab on the "crazy gun people". I think making a jump that the event is triggered/inspired by the gun control people is just as dangerous as thinking it is an al qaeda inspired event. We simply do not have enough information (or information that has been released by the FBI and other investigative departments) to jump to anything.

I don't want to see any group or stereotype/looks like a terrorist be unfairly profiled.

22. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

People process thing differently. A women here at work was of the "only 3 people died, it wasn't that bad" school of thought until we told her about all the body parts that were everywhere. She almost threw up. But because she hadn't *seen* them, she hadn't really processed that.

At work someone was convinced it was the Gun Control Lobby -- trying to get more controls in place. "Those people" want to control everything, not just guns, was this rational.

I think it's whatever group I hate the most. ;)

Because they wanted to target as many Americans as possible. The elite runners are usually from somewhere else, often from Kenya, Ethiopia.

23. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

Especially since they were making a big point on the news that the President hadn't used the word terrorist at all.

24. BlueRidge

al qaeda is a terrorist entity with followers in many parts of the world. I don't see anything dangerous about suggesting someone inspired by it might be responsible for a terrorist act.

I don't see anything grounding the speculation about a "gun nut" so why not broaden it to more possibilities:

Boston is home to numerous scientific institutions, maybe it was an animal rights extremist protesting use of animals.

We're very close to Earth Day maybe it was a unabomber sort of environmental crazy picking the biggest event near to Earth Day.

Tax Day's an obvious one.

I'm sure there's many more ideas that can be floated.

25. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

26. cruisin

No one is saying that a "crazy gun person" did it. Just that it occurred to them. And before they heard it suggested by anyone else. Whoever did it is a terrorist. Whether it is Al Qaeda, a Gun Nut, or some monster with a grudge we know nothing about. None of us know who did it, just expressing possibilities.

27. BlueRidge

Someone still angry about the Battle of Lexington and Concord?
    A batshit insane Yankees fan who hates the Red Sox?
    Someone obsessed with Mitt Romney who thinks Massachusetts betrayed him?

28. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

There was talk of this after the Newtown tragedy, that it was all staged to make a case for more gun control. And this poor man who took in some of the scared kids was harassed by nutbars who were convinced he was part of the conspiracy :rolleyes: http://www.salon.com/2013/01/15/this_man_helped_save_six_children_is_now_getting_harassed_for_it/

29. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

(((((kittyjake, Bostonfan and all my FSU friends in the vicinity of the tragedy.)))))
    My thoughts and prayers continue to be with you.

30. dardar1126

Twitter:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.