Evora/Ladwig Split

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Jenya, Apr 10, 2012.

1. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

I am surprised but I guess they have competed for a while and plans to retire
    they were one of the more stable US Pairs, partnership wise :(

2. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Sad.

Their programs always really stood out. It's a shame they never could get the jumps consistent. :(

Shame Yankowskas isn't available any more (although as was remarked already, maybe Ladwig will continue skating but not competitively).

It would be quite hard for them to stay together after one of them retired. ;)

3. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Wow, that's a surprise. Best of luck to both of them in the future. I was never a fan, but they always stood out as hard workers and very nice people.

4. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Nice tweet from Lynn K. and Logan G-S's twitter feed:

5. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Heather, it's lovely that you have so many wonderful memories to look back on. May you enjoy them always!

6. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

Sad to hear this news, but very happy I was able to see them skate in person at the 2009 Nationals in Cleveland. I certainly wish both of them the best, they've had such a wonderful presence in US pairs over the years. I will miss them!

7. Kelvster

Kelvster Well-Known Member

Evora/Ladwig have been my favourite pair in recent years (if not my favourite pair ever), and I was very, very lucky to watch them live in Cup of China 2011 (How can I ever forget their beautiful performances there :wuzrobbed )

These two have left a mark in the sport - mostly in the way they embodied and embraced the Olympic spirit :wuzrobbed . Will never forget how they fought for the spot on the team in 2010 and their reactions after learning that they won silver (as well as the truly inspiring performances in Vancouver themselves)

And Heather, thanks for sharing all your experiences with E/L!!

8. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

Well, this was a surprise to see a few minutes ago and a sad one too.

Have always, always enjoyed their skating and Amanda's lift positions were to die for. Never got the chance to see them skate or meet them, but everything I heard about them either here or at other sites was nothing but wonderful.

They are two very classy people who represented their sport and Country over the years w/great diginity and also joy. They will indeed be missed.

(((Heather))) I also instantly thought of you when I saw the thread. Glad you had early warning about it and were prepared.

9. johndockley92

johndockley92 New Member

I second this.

10. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

Add me as another sad fan. They are lovely, and I felt bad for them at Nationals. Classy, hard- working, beautiful skaters. Best of luck to them both!

11. leigh466

leigh466 Active Member

Shed a few tears. I hate endings. I will miss Amanda so very much and this lovely team. I feel even sadder now for them to not have ended it with a US championship gold. But, still a wonderful career that they should be so proud of. Best of luck to both of them in their lives. Great memories!

12. mtnskater

mtnskater Well-Known Member

Heather....wanted you to know I am thinking of you! I thought E&L were not given their due by the judges in quite a few events. I will always remember how well they did in Vancouver. One of my favorite memories from the 2010 games. I thought these two would be perfect for SOI because their exhibitions are so good. But who knows if there will be any pro skating in the US coming up .....so college is a good path.

13. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

Very sad to learn about their split :( :fragile:.

Although it's already been mentioned about their inconsistency on the jumps, these two had some of the best lifts in the business/sport -- Amanda could/should hold a clinic on posture and body positions for Women (*cough*CaydeeDenney*cough*)..

Kudos to Maxim Trankov for his kind and classy response to this news :).

14. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

I assume the Carruthers may hold the record? :confused:

15. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

So sad to learn of this split. I have loved this team since seeing them for the first time @ 2005 Skate America in Atlantic City, NJ. Two lovely people - I wish them both all the best in the future.

16. pollyanna

pollyanna playing the Glad Game

And Tai and Randy were together for quite some time. ;)

17. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Also, Starbuck and Shelley!

18. CynicElle

CynicElle Well-Known Member

That's a shame. They were a lovely pair and seem like really nice people to boot. :respec: to them. (And I also "awwwed" at Trankov's comment.)

19. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

20. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

How tall is Mark? I think Amanda is very tiny - like 4'11" or 5'-- so Mark is probably not 6 feet. Maybe 5'10"? Not tall enough for Ashley, but tall enough for Lindsay Davis.

21. apollo13

apollo13 Member

You and me both Heather. Now we can really enjoy the Pairs competition at Nationals without shaking in our seats.

And thank you for your loyalty support all these years. Hope to see you at a future competition.

22. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

Thank you, Amanda & Mark, for years of beautiful skating. :)

23. madm

madm Active Member

Mark is 5'10", Amanda is 4'11", and Ashley is 5'5". Ashley is too tall for Mark.

24. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

2 other long-term (10+ seasons) U.S. pair partnerships that began at the Juvenile level and went all the way up through Senior are:

Chloe Katz and Joseph Lynch (2000-2011) - started starting together at the ages of 14 & 15 respectively, and their highest Nationals placement in Senior was 6th in 2009. They won 2 Senior B international silver medals (2008 Cup of Nice and 2009 Ice Challenge).

Bianca Butler and Joseph Jacobsen (1999-2009) - started starting together at 9/10 & 12 respectively, and their highest Nationals placement in Senior was 9th in 2008. They competed in 2 JGP Finals (placing 6th & 7th) and 1 Junior Worlds (11th in 2008).

While both these teams had very respectable careers, it's rare in this modern era to have teams like Inoue/Baldwin and Evora/Ladwig stay together for as long as they did AND make it to the Olympics together! That feat, IMO, takes more than luck and longevity!

25. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Thought so. Mark looks taller on the ice because Amanda is so petite.

26. shah

shah Shhh...

27. carriemarie

carriemarie New Member

You do realize Caydee skated alongside Amanda for at least 5 years and trained with the same coaches? It's ironic how everybody thinks they can "fix" her positions...it just how she is built!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  28. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan New Member

so sad to hear about the end of their partnership. Something I really appreciated about this team was that their love of the sport was so apparent both on and off the ice. I so wish they could have won a national championship (I really thought this would be their year) but, as others have mentioned, they have accomplished so much in their time together. They were a pleasure to watch and I wish them all the best for the future.

29. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan New Member

so nice to read this. thank you for posting. They seem to be well-loved in the skating community. such classy, wonderful people.

30. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

We were fortunate to see them skate in Cleveland @ those Nationals. It was a travesty that NBC didn't show their gorgeous free skate!