Evora/Ladwig Split

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Jenya, Apr 10, 2012.

1. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

They are definitely an older pair, have already been to the Olympics, and were on a year-to-year basis, so it seemed this retirement could happen at any time. It's surprising Mark wants to start over again at nearly 32, but he's a capable skater, so good for him for wanting to do so. Maybe he will get lucky enough to find a suitable partner.

Amanda and Mark did a lot of great things in their long career, and it's just too bad they went out on the note they did. They were definitely a better team than their last skate showed. She had issues rotating her jumps throughout her career, but it was admirable the way she tried to deal with them and improve. After so many years of struggle, E/L never gave up, and they were rewarded for it in recent years. In a field that's already very thin, US pairs will miss them. I will miss Amanda and her lovely attitude and competitive spirit.

2. ros01

ros01 New Member

To me, this isn't a split. This is one partner retiring. Just because it was a life decision instead of injury doesn't mean that she has turned her back on her partner. I guess I'm a bit surprised like everyone else that Ladwig is staying in at 32, but with the mixups going on, he must think he might be able to get a partner and make a run at the Olympics again.

3. literaryfreak

literaryfreak Well-Known Member

:wuzrobbed I'm going to miss Amanda's beautiful skating. Truly some of the best lifts in the world.

4. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

5. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Given how he and his wife have struggled financially, at 32, if any male skater were to get a free ride because his female partner's parents were paying, I hope it is he.

6. 2sk8

2sk8 Active Member

More triples than Mark, but - maybe Lindsay Davis?? Boy, it will be weird not to see him with Amanda!

I wish them both the best in the next phase of their lives.

7. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

8. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

This!

9. apollo13

apollo13 Member

They did for ten years! Other than Inoue and Baldwin, I don't know of any other pair who stayed together longer.

Amanda will be 28 in November. It is time.

10. carriemarie

carriemarie New Member

I don't think Inoue and Baldwin were together 10 years

11. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

Wishing both Mark and Amanda the very best the future has to offer. She had truly some of the most beautiful lift positions of any pairs skater I've seen.

12. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

They actually were.

13. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I/B were together from 2000 to 2010

I hope the best for Evora and Ladwig!

14. carriemarie

carriemarie New Member

Just checked- 2001 - 2010 seasons together...10 years also

15. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Heck yeah!

I will really miss seeing them, especially Evora's beautiful smile and lifts. They were a really graceful pair together and it was lovely to see them finally get some good results and recognition for their abilities these last few years.

16. OlieRow

OlieRow Well-Known Member

I'll miss them and what they brought to US Pairs. Their 2010 silver (and subsequent Olympic berth) were the highlight of Nationals.

17. jlai

jlai Title-less

(((HeatherC))) and (((all other fans of Evora/Ladwig)))

18. elka_sk8

elka_sk8 Well-Known Member

Aww, I will miss watching them skate. I admired their perseverance and was SO HAPPY they made it to the last Olympics.

Best of luck to them in the future! :respec:

19. Oz_sk8ting_mum

Oz_sk8ting_mum New Member

I Loved these guy's!! I did yell NO :( , they have to have been one of the classiest couples around, I will really miss them, But best of luck to both of them!! :)

20. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

I wish them both well! They've had a wonderful career.

(((HeatherC))) you were the first one I thought of when I read about this on facebook.

21. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

He and Yankowskas would not have made a good team. She is light years ahead of him artistically.

22. madm

madm Active Member

The article say that he plans to continue skating, not necessarily competing. Perhaps he will become a show skater. I had hoped that he and Amanda would do show skating together as they would be thrilling to watch! At any rate, I wish Amanda the best in pursuing her college degree. Does anyone know if Mark has a college degree?

23. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I wish them both the best in whatever the future holds and I'll miss seeing them on ice. Their lifts are lovely and their enthusiasm wonderful to see. I wish they'd gotten a national title at some point, but I am glad they got to live their Olympic dream. They always represented their sport and country well and their commitment on the ice is only matched by their graciousness and friendliness off the ice.

24. carriemarie

carriemarie New Member

Eh thats a push...I frankly am tired of the Caitlin "rose tinted glasses" that are put on when looking at her career.

Mark is an Olympian- Caitlin and John were soundly beaten in 2010. I feel it's a bit disrespectful to say she is "light years" ahead of him artistically. He has improved immensely through the years.

Josh on the other hand....

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  25. Madmarch

Madmarch New Member

Sad to see them go without a national title, especially since their freeskate was one of my favourites this year.

26. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

Word. I missed the point when Josh Regan became so artistically superior to Mark Ladwig.

27. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

Oh, wow, didn't expect this! I will miss them a lot, what a great team they were and such hard workers. So happy for them to have made the 2010 Olympic team, they will always have that memory. I'm also thrilled that I got to see them skate live at 2011 Nationals and their exhibition that year was gorgeous, I loved it.

Mark is a beautiful skater and very artistic, too. Can't imagine why anyone would think he wasn't. I hope he finds another partner and I will happily look forward to seeing him on the ice again next season.

I wish Amanda all the best in her future endeavors. I hope she is happy with her decision and does well with her college.

They will be missed!!! :(

28. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

29. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

I wish news like this would stop breaking when I'm at work and can't do anything about it, LOL :lol:

Anyway, I was actually given a very nice heads up regarding this news a while ago so I was pretty prepared for it which has turned out to be a good thing considering how randomly emo I've been over a lot of things the last few weeks (not me, for people around me who've gone through some trying times and I've been part of their support system). Thanks to everyone who was concerned about me but I'm doing all right. I'm focusing on all the good memories I have of them from these last ten years and it's making me smile. Pardon me while I ramble....:)

I have a ton of great memories of their career. From the first time I saw them skate at the Atlanta US Nats in 2004, to the first time I got to talk to them at the Indy Challenge in 2005, to my despair at not being there when they won their first US Nats medal (2007...why didn't I go to Spokane that year???! :fragile: ), to seeing them compete at a GP event in person for the first time (Reading SA in 2007 where they were SO close to getting a medal), to them finally making the live NBC broadcast for the first time in 2008 when their LP was shown in the final group, to my excitement of them skating so well and medaling at US Nats in Cleveland (and BelleBWay having to point it out to me because I was trying too hard to do math at the time, LOL :lol: ), to seeing them win the silver medal at US Nats in Spokane 2010 (and getting about 18 text messages from friends before the award ceremony even started :p) and then finding out they were officially named to the Olympic team while standing with my FSU friends at Olive Garden :cheer:, to seeing them skate two amazing programs in Greensboro last year and win another silver medal at US Nats, to finally getting a picture with them after the awards ceremony in San Jose this year after FOUR previous Nats that I was unsuccessful at getting that picture, and to getting randomly hugged in the middle of the 4CC exhibition finale by both of them just because they felt like it....it's all been amazing and wow, that's a lot of good memories. :) Ten years....it's been a great ride. No regrets, just good memories. Thanks Amanda & Mark! Lots of love and all the best to both of you. :cheer: :cheer2: :cheer: :cheer2:

Hmmmm, what will I do now at US Nats? I don't remember how to go to that event and not be a nervous wreck, LOL :rofl:

30. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

I guess knowing that a world's birth would be tough next year didn't help.

Sad to see them split. Loved their long especially this year. Mark has good components; I didn't see him as weak in this area.

If Mark plans to compete next year I have to think he has someone in mind; otherwise I would have heard him say he was considering his options or something. He doesn't have the liberty to take a year or two to find a partner. I'll bet that if he is to skate again competitively we hear an announcement within a month.