Evil HR Lady: Does the Technology Industry Discriminate Against Women?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by overedge, Sep 9, 2010.

1. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

2. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

I can only speak from experience where I've worked. The women tend to rise in the managerial ranks much faster than the men. At my current shop, I'd guess 70% of the managers are female. Most of the junior folks are male. Go figure.

I know a few gals who have tried to work at gaming companies. Not female or family friendly, but that's the only area I can think of.

3. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

The significant majority of engineers and computer science students are male. The vast majority of people who take enough software programming classes to be able to enter the field are male. The majority of people interested in these fields are male. Thus the majority of people working in these fields are male. And therefore, the majority of people speaking at tech conferences, and heading up tech companies, are... drumroll, please... male.

While more women have been entering higher ed in recent years, the percentage of women majoring in engineering or computer science has actually gone *down*. (US Department of Labor Statistics)

It's not that the industry necessarily discriminates against women, or it's not entirely that. It's that not enough women enter these degree programs/are interested in entering these fields. And if we want to change that, we need to start earlier. Way earlier. Middle school, because it's in middle school that most people start to get "tracked" in math. And yes, it is important that young girls see older women in these fields, so that the girls realize it's a possibility for them - not just a guy thing. But at the same time, as the article says, how much can the few women in the field do to be out there "representing?"

4. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I certainly can't speak for the tech field but the last number I heard that women amounted to 51% in medicine. I used to do research for an all female surgeon team. As a matter of fact, the assistants were male.

And I've even met a female urologist which used to be an almost exclusively a male-dominated field. (Kinda unfair, innit when there used to be all those male Ob/gyns which is now mostly a female-dominated field).

5. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

Do elementary schools discriminate against male teachers? Meh. Correlation is not causation. I think that some professions are just more appealing to one gender or the other, for whatever reason. Active biases, I sure hope not, but just because a field is mostly men doesn't mean that it's discriminatory.

6. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

Marketing, which is IMO majority female now, used to be very much a man's profession not that long ago. It's still the case that most of the VP and officers in marketing are male, but that's changing. Things like that can change, as society changes.

7. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Now ubering Machida's hair

As a female programmer and engineer, I don't feel discriminated against, and I almost never has.
    The only tech industry where I have heard of that is the gaming industry, but that is changing rapidly.

That doesn't mean that I have a lot of female co workers, and I don't wish for more.
    I do think there is always a need to feel part of a group, and networking etc based on things like gender is not a bad thing.

Also, there is always a need for rolemodels when you are young to open your eyes to possiblities, wether it is female tech workers, male schoolteachers, gay NFL stars or black presidents...

There is a difference between raising awareness and saying that there is discrimination; in fact, just because I say that I want more female co workers, it doesn't mean I think those I have are discriminated against. I think this is failing of the article.