Evgeni Plushenko won’t bother with figure skating Grand Prix season: DiManno

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sugar, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Thanks, great performance and really interesting video... they had to share the K&C, how awkward. :eek:

2. leapfrogonice

leapfrogonice Active Member

It is so classic for the level of HATE to come out between Canada and Russia. Hate hate hate. "Terrific"

3. Alixana

Alixana who is on vacation!!

Now, now .. no one beats the KWEEN at anything!! :lol:

4. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

Actually, not true.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  5. skaterdelight

skaterdelight New Member

Lala,

Thanks for posting this youtube. I remember watching Plushenko grow up during his figure skating career. That boy put his heart and soul in his skating - abandoned, passionate, 200% committed and a superb athlete. Between him and Yagudin and Abt that was a golden era for Russian men's figureskating. One thing I always enjoyed about them was that they skated like guys too (I know, I know, probably I'll get trashed for saying this and I'm not implying anything about other male skaters).

Not to take away anything from what the present men do now - I love the artistry of Takahashi, abandon of Hanyu and the elegance of Chan but there was something unique about those Russian men.

6. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

I think that was tradition for a while, there's a video from the 2000-2001 GPF (I think) where Plushenko and Yagudin were sitting in the kiss and cry, either side of Mishin, waiting for Plushenko's marks...and when they put him in first the first thing Yagudin did was reach over and shake his hand, and they nodded cordially at each other. ;)

So why mention it then? You are automatically implying something about other male skaters by saying that the Russian men "skated like guys".

The Russian men of that era were powerful, dramatic, and very strong. That doesn't make them automatically more masculine than skaters who prefer a softer, elegant style; who display their power and strength more subtly.

7. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

And her articles about that were only marginally better informed than her articles about skating.

Rosie's main area of expertise is in promoting herself, not in contributing anything useful or intelligent.

8. Glacier cat

Glacier cat New Member

This is Canadian journalism. This is Canadian Champion. Oh Canada, poor country.

9. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Yes, please pity us; that we are saddled with such a "writer".

10. Glacier cat

Glacier cat New Member

This woman is not journalist? Hope so.
    well, I was shocked when I googled about The Toronto Star. According to wikipedia, it is a "Canada's highest-circulation newspaper". I thought it's a small tabloid and kind of right-wing :slinkaway

11. shine

shine Well-Known Member

Hey, you may know everything about Plushenko, but it doesn't look like you know that much about North America. :p

12. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Well-Known Member

The article is just terrible whether it is written in Canada, Germany or Uzbekistan, and there is no justification for such terrible journalism.

13. lala

lala Well-Known Member

hey, I've apologized! And I'm geography and physical education teacher so I know some information about North America..:p

14. ciocio

ciocio New Member

:watch::watch::watch:

I didn't read the article, I don't think DiManno deserves to waste one single minute of my life. :p Hope they enable the comments, Afganistan would look like a peaceful place to sweet Rosie. :EVILLE::EVILLE:

PS. Ok, I've read it! :rolleyes:

"Wow, he’s doing a lot better than I had expected.’ He can still do all his jumps, which is pretty good for someone who’s — what? — 36, 37 years old.’’

at least Patrick was funny!;)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  15. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

A "36, 37 years old" that can still pull off all of the triples and a quad is more than "pretty good"; It's phenomenal! I'm surprised Chan wasn't more in awe of that :)

16. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

I am sure DiManno has tons of risk-taking and dare-devil DNA in her! To insult the revered Plushenko on her assignment to Sochi, she may not return home in one piece! Plushenko's :mad: troop will :lynch: her! :eek:

17. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Well-Known Member

You can criticise any skater for their weakness but the her style of writing here is mocking him. Iris very tabloid style writing, I would not call it risk taking, I call this kind of writing as idiotic. She is trying to create a controversy, at this rate she will get her wish some point.

18. IceIceBaby

IceIceBaby New Member

This is really bad journalism. She didn't mention anything about the reasons why Plushenko can't skate. :rolleyes: I guess there will be even more of these kind of nasty articles because the Worlds are in Canada and obviously the N-A press likes to create drama around the men's competition. I remember when the Worlds were in L.A and they wanted to make a huge drama about Joubert and Chan.

19. theshrew

theshrew New Member

...Besides being a true intellectual.
    I dare di Manno to tell us which of the characters invented by Leo Tolstoy is vain, disdainful and imperious :lol:

20. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

I agree that Chan did a pretty good job considering she was out to try and make him say something nasty. He was quite funny and if I could see his face when answering this, my best bet would be that he was doing the "awkward turtle".

21. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

Heck compared to the fun I had reading the British tabloids last week this is TAME LOL!

As for justification... this thread is all the author needs. If you really dislike an author don't provide publicity By continuing to read and post, even negative posts, you just "promote" and others go look which is the goal.... readers, not "agreement" LOL!

22. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I'm sure Plushenko wishes he had the knees and back of an average 36-37-year old who was in decent shape. It's amazing what he can do considering how much surgery and therapy he's had.

23. Moka-Ananas

Moka-Ananas Man's Ruin

24. lala

lala Well-Known Member

My pleasure..Plushy is an inspiring personality, his fans made ​​a lots of video about him. These are also touching videos:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnEDdoFew24

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_STnOk9_EQ folle amore, solo amore, dolce amore.. "mad love, lonely love, sweet love .."

25. lala

lala Well-Known Member

26. kittysk8ts

kittysk8ts Member

In Vancouver in 2010 Plushenko was asked a question about Chan and he said anyone without a quad should be competing with the ladies, lol.

27. Glacier cat

Glacier cat New Member

28. Glacier cat

Glacier cat New Member

I don't remember that. Plushenko told it toward Patrick?
    Well, anyway even if Plushenko told to Chan, I don't think he intended to mock Chan himself. He just wanted to change the figure skating and the rule better. He never say anything bad about his rivals' private (...sorry, I don't know what I can say in English. I wanted to say, even when he becomes aggressive, he says only about figure skating. Jump, rule, etc. He never laugh at his rival's private, for example the age).

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  29. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Plushenko didn't say anything until after the sp and then said generally quads is what make men's skating. And then after he lost he said men's skating without quads is like dancing. If he had said chan had been competing with ladies then it would have been in all the threads and it wasn't.

30. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

The 'ladies' comments came from Mishin in his rant right after Plushenko won the silver. Specifically, “Any judge who thinks this is the right champion is a Cyclops,” Mishin said. “Without the quad, there is no difference between the men’s competition and the women’s. Why not let them skate together? Why not have it as a unisex competition in the Olympics?” http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/vancouver/figure_skating/news?slug=ro-plushenko021810

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
    Domshabfan and (deleted member) like this.