Evgeni Plushenko won’t bother with figure skating Grand Prix season: DiManno

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sugar, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Sugar

Sugar Well-Known Member

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

I knew Sugar would post a link to this Rosie DiManno column! :lol:

3. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

This was pretty bad even by Rosie DiManno standards. She's aware that Plushenko is pretty much held up with tape and string at this point, right? Not to mention twisting Patrick Chan's comments - it's not like it's that hard to make Chan say something quotable!

I don't recall Plushenko sneering at Chan at any point, either.

4. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

doesnt even classify as sensationalist journalism :lol:
    that looks like a clueless rabid anti plushenko random "article"

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  5. GoGreen

GoGreen New Member

No wonder figure skating is "so popular" in Canada these days. :p

With friends like these, who needs enemies?

6. Alixana

Alixana who is on vacation!!

What a stupid question: "Can you kick his butt given half a chance?" :rolleyes: Think Patrick answered that in the only way he could.

7. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

I think Plushy won't skate at all.. But he's getting lots of press LOL!

(And I am probably wrong and he will skate but I kind of hope he doesn't. IT's not always good to let us see the athletes compete at the end of their career and considering the fact we can't see

8. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

"He can still do all his jumps, which is pretty good for someone who’s — what? — 36, 37 years old.’’

LOL Chan saying Plushenko is 36 or 37.

It would be good for him to compete but it's just not medically advisable.

9. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Just from the OP, I won't bother reading (yet another) hateful article directed toward Plushenko. I am sure he is taking care of his body by not competing.

10. lala

lala Well-Known Member

OMG! What a stupid and hateful article. I just understand why Plushy has so many haters in North -America. Because the Americans people read such stupid journalists. Shame. And Chan? I don't want to say what i'm thinking about him... Go Hanyu and Daisuke!

11. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Many of us here have that reaction to Rosie DiManno.

12. lala

lala Well-Known Member

This is fiction,she and you don't know him. But who cares? The great men has haters, I learned it. I think Chan is more cocky,arrogant, and ill-mannered like Plush. After and before Vancouver I read several hateful and liar articles. But I think love of his fans -they are so many people all over the world- helped him get through the hard times.

Plushy! I hope you know this video..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9h53_qvQjNM

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  13. Alixana

Alixana who is on vacation!!

If we don't know either of them personally, then we don't know for sure that they're cocky, arrogant and ill-mannered. But please, just ignore Rosie. Although it's easier said than done. I've tried to avoid her columns for years but somehow she just sneaks into my consciousness!! :)

14. Jarrett

Jarrett Well-Known Member

Is this actually printed in a paper somewhere? It should be archived for hater generations for years to come.

15. lala

lala Well-Known Member

:angryfire Thank you Alixana... :)

16. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

I agree that this article is stupid and hateful. But it's not like Russian doesn't have a few yellow journalists of their own. (And at the moment, that is about the nicest term I can think of for Ms. DiManno. :mad: ) Aside from which, there ARE North American ubers of Plushenko, including several on this board. In fact, I honestly believe most North American posters may be like me, who have always admired Evgeni as a great athlete. We may not be convinced he is as a great an artist-on-ice as his ubers think he is, but that doesn't make us "haters," either. (And I'll join you in rooting for Dai! :D )

17. misskarne

misskarne #408

Wow. SOMEONE is still not over Salt Lake City, are they?

This makes some of Plushy's most ardent haters on this board look like they worship the ground he walks on!

EDIT:

HA! No comment option. Guess someone knew they'd be copping it and chickened out.

18. nylynnr

nylynnr Active Member

You can love her or hate her, but Rosie is not one to chicken out. She has been to Afghanistan eight or nine times to report (primarily) about the treatment of women there. There is nothing she would enjoy more than a slew of comments, pro and con, about her column; an onslaught would prove her writing was provocative.

19. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Yup, a final flight of eight skaters, four of them from the same country, and another who hasn't attempted a quadruple jump in competition since 2007 or so. The Star must be proud to have a reporter who is so knowledgeable about figure skating.

20. lala

lala Well-Known Member

I don't think that the skating fans who don't like his skating are haters. I didn't speak about them. I read many comments from Americans people who were absolute uninformed about Plushy's career. But they were very hateful toward Plush. Yes, I'm uber, I know his all programs at competitions and in galas since 1996, I watched them many times, so I know what I'm talking about. The artistic impression is very subjectiv, you know. Who can adjudge it? The judges? Well, he got 75 6.0 most of them were artistry points. :)

21. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I consider myself a Plush uber, but I didn't think the article was that bad, and I was :rofl: at Chan's snark... for once, I thought it was great.

At its heart what she says is true: he picks and chooses the competitions. Olympics, Euros, and Nationals are important to him, Worlds and the Grand Prix are not. There are myriad reasons for it - injury, travel, whatever, but ultimately, it's his choice and he can't be surprised if journalists remark on it. I doubt he would be offended or bothered by this article at all.

22. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

"Americans" typically refers to people who live in the U.S. There is no one who will fess up what's wrong with this country easier than me but...why do people assume that all English-speaking people are one, or even listen to each other? We are not, in this case and all cases, Canada; on a separate thread the other day, it was assumed that an article that came out of Dublin also reflected a broader opinion I think because it was written in English.

The U.S. has lots of faults and we're impossible sometimes but we're just us. We don't necessarily read Canadian papers unless we live near the border and we hold our own opinions, sometimes the same as our Canadian neighbors, often very different. I think people who presume to make generalizations about North Americans risk error - there are very few things are distinctly and really North American in nature.

I dare say that there are journalists in Russia who you would not want me to think represent the broad Russian point of view. Do I assume that the written opinions of one journalist (or even several) represents all Russians? I would hope not.

Maybe the opinions expressed in this article don't represent Canada; I wouldn't presume that either. Maybe they just represent this writer. Jumping to generalizations about groups of people based on the behavior or words of one person isn't usually the intelligent thing to do...is that too much of a generalization?!

23. misskarne

misskarne #408

Yes, he does pick and choose comps. I'll be one of the first to stick my hand up and say that. But what this article completely glosses over is WHY. He's not doing it because he's an arrogant snob (which is what she says). He's doing it because jeez, his body can't handle that many comps anymore. So he chooses the ones that are and always have been important to him - Nationals, and Euros.

Although I agree that if someone told him about this article, he would probably have a laugh and add it to his fuel canister...

24. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I never understood why people act shocked when some fans consider Plushenko artistic, considering he received so many perfect 6.0s under the old system and excellent PCS under the new system as well. I'm pretty sure he has more international 6.0s than some fan favorites like Kwan (I remember Louis had a list of 6.0s on his website eons ago).

25. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Responding to what I bolded. Unfortunately, this is typical of Rosie. She, like others who write columns, picks "facts" that fit her viewpoint and seldom bothers with the whole story. I mean most of us here understand why he's not competing except in a very select few comps -- mostly because of his health. It also sounds very much like she tried to get Chan to snark about it but it seems to be he is trying really hard to be honest but diplomatic.

I think we should all have a chuckle with Plushy about the article. It's not fit for printing.

26. rayhaneh

rayhaneh New Member

Maybe because they know that judges sometimes give marks based on an athlete's name and not to the actual performance....:slinkaway

(full disclosure - I am not shocked people think Plushenko is an artist - as lala said, it all depends what you think an artist should be - and I think he can be an artist in his own right in galas, as an entertainer. I just don't see it that way when it comes to his competition programs which never fit what imo makes an artist on the ice, and no amount of 6.0 or high PCs will make me change my mind :lol: On the other hand. a beautiful performance by him, regardless of what the judges will score him, could ;))

27. lala

lala Well-Known Member

You are right, in Europe we often make this mistake, despite we know that US and Canada are different countries. Sorry. But in skating world the two countries have similar opinion, thus easily make this mistake.

28. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Plush had a total of 75 6.0's; Kwan 57

Cherub721 and (deleted member) like this.
  29. lala

lala Well-Known Member

He got the first 6.0 at 16, he was the youngest male skater ever. And when he was 16-17 the judges also gave him many 5,8 and 5,9. And yes, he is an entertainer.
    he was 17, he beat Stojko, he won his first GPF
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xY_xuAQ1Ev0
    and he received some 6.0.

30. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Yes! some 6.0 are technical scores, but he can beat Kwan without them.