Evan updates?

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by nicecardshark, Jan 3, 2013.

1. casken

casken Well-Known Member

^^^^ That.

2. Leeedward

Leeedward New Member

I agree. It is not likely that Evan will skate at Nationals this year (or next). And yes, Evan is probably not now the skater he was at Vancouver, but Jeremy was certainly not the skater in Vancouver that he was at 2010 Nationals! And unfortunately he is not the skater today that he was in either 2009 or 2010. I have a hunch that Evan could win, but if he doesn't show up, he certainly won't.

3. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

In any event we'll all know by next week. :)

Rob and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Jagerboy

Jagerboy Member

I noticed on Mirai's facebook page she was tagged in a post by Galina. She was basically wishing all her students both former and current good luck. She had Evan tagged/listed, so who knows, maybe he is a go.

5. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

Of course remember that in LA the award show started at around 5 and was over at 7 so it's not like it was a 'late night' event that dramatically intereferred with training. (I honestly don't expect him to be there but wouldn't read to much into the award show visit. These are really late afternoon early evening events in LA. )

I would not put it past USFSA to be asking him to hold off on announcing her won't go (Of course I have been told I shouldn't go because I don't "LOVE" USFSA LOL!) They lost Weir, they lost Cziny, they don't have the returing pair champions and ticket sales based on local media reports are not outstanding. This may be the only "name" they have in the rotation besides possibly Ashley (who has gotten a lot of attention this year) For the hard core fans, like us, that's not a deal breaker but for "joe smith" from the suburbs of Omaha paying $50 a ticket to see folks he doesn't know may be a deal breaker. It's a lot of money to bring your average family to just one session (tickets, parking, kids want food and drinks etc...)

6. merrywidow

merrywidow Well-Known Member

It's interesting that Evan is past his prime being 1 day older than Abbott but Abbott is not?

7. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

^^ I don't know about "past prime," but certainly both Evan and Johnny were at their peak in their early twenties. As far as Jeremy Abbott, keep in mind that he was a late bloomer who has competed in three disciplines (ice-dancing and pairs as a younger skater, and men singles starting in the novice division in 2000 - 2001 season). This was at a time when both Johnny and Evan were transitioning from juniors to seniors -- Johnny won Junior Worlds in 2001, and Evan was second at Junior Worlds in 2001, 2003, and 2004. In looking at Wiki, it seems to be an error but perhaps not: I thought Johnny debuted in 5th place at Nationals in 2001 as a senior and then he was injured in 2002 and withdrew during the fp in 2003. Wiki has him debuting at Nats in 5th place in 2002. Evan is listed as debuting in 12th place at senior Nationals in 2001, and placing 12th again in 2002. I remember seeing young Evan and Johnny competing live in Junior Men at Cleveland U.S. Nationals in 2000. And also a very cute young Ryan B debuting in Senior Men that same year. Ryan had his trademark wide, happy smile. :)

Oh well, back to Jeremy. Despite his being close in age to Johnny and Evan, it's obvious that Jeremy was a late bloomer who made his debut/ breakthrough at Nationals in the senior division in 2007, where he placed 4th. Also, Jeremy has continued to train and compete at a top level since the 2010 Olympics, unlike Johnny and Evan. As far as age, development, maturity, talent, desire and ability to continue competing at the eligible level, it's different for everyone. Just ask 30-year-old Plushenko. ;)

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  8. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Abbott is the same skater as he was then. Skates lights out at Nationals, bombs at Worlds. Keeping in mind the former though, and the USFSAs bizarre continued support for a continously (on the World stage) failed product, I expect Abbott will win Nationals again as usual, regardless if an old Evan skates or not.

9. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

Scratch that, we didn't even have to wait until next week, but honestly is anybody really surprised. I'm not. :)

10. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

11. apatinar

apatinar Active Member

A google search says that Evan's net worth is $10 million. I wonder how accurate that is

12. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Johnny was 6th in his senior debut and 5th in 2002 -I remember how excited he was at being second alternate for the 2002 Olympics.