Evan Officially Announces His Comeback

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by sk9tingfan, Aug 10, 2012.

1. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Too inconsistent and skating looks like a mess.

That would be a true miracle since Mroz can't land one singe type of quad with any consistency. Skating career-wise, I'd say he's 100% cooked.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  2. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

If you think Mahbanoozadeh, Farris, and Aaron have a shot then I don't see why those two shouldn't also be considered. Domestically their PCS marks will likely all be comparable if they skate well.

3. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

The men's team needs Evan AND Johnny at this point.

4. skatefan102

skatefan102 New Member

I agree. Everyone here keeps talking about everyone who could possibly play spoiler but guess what, there is NO ONE in the US right now who has anywhere close to a decent record at Worlds other than Evan (yes, if he comes back), and Johnny. We have all these people who have gone and done poorly, or who have no experience at all at that level. Yes, it will come down to who does the best on that day (Nationals), but something has to be said for the people who can be relied on to have a decent showing at worlds (no medal guarantee-all I ask is decent). Frankly, I've given up on Abbott at Worlds at this point and everyone else is too inexperienced.

5. misskarne

misskarne #408

No.

No team NEEDS anyone.

6. PinkFeathers

PinkFeathers Active Member

unless it's josh amirite? :slinkaway Someone had to say it.

7. misskarne

misskarne #408

Not at all.

8. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

lol you're forgetting jason!! with his flutz and almost 3a

although, josh did score almost 17 points higher than Johnny at Finlandia at a JGP, so if the US men's team really NEEDS Johnny Weir than i'm a bit worried :shuffle:

the fact that there are so many guys who could play spoiler but have no experience, are inconsistent, look like they're about 12, still compete in juniors, etc. but still have the ability to land big jumps and potentially score well is exactly why the team doesn't NEED anyone....it's a crap shoot either way. what it really comes down to is a rusty has-been, proven headcase, rookie on the rise, consistently inconsistent wild card, baby boy, or one-trick wonder all probably have the same chances to win a medal at worlds this season and gain 3 spots for the olympics next season, let alone medal there, and those chances are... pretty slim.

YUP

9. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Why anyone thinks Johnny is likely to play decently enough at Worlds to help the U.S regain 3 spots at this point is beyond me. Skating his best in Vancouver he came 6th when the caliber of skating was much lower than now. Even with his usual mediocre and dissapointing Worlds perforamnces Abbott would probably place as high or higher at this point. Dornbush would probably place higher than Johnny at Worlds at this point too. With any team the U.S is unlikely to get 3 spots though unless someone like Abbott surprises by performing better than usual at Worlds.

10. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Got bored so I spent time looking up records on Icenetwork.

Ricky as the youngest has only skated in 39 competitions, he medaled in 22 of them.

Of Johnny's 65 competitions, he medaled 38 times,

Jeremy medaled 30 out of 56 and Evan 59 out of 78

Johnny and Jeremy's medals are spread over their skating career while the majority of Evan's podiums have been since Torino. Ricky has only been skating th senior level a short time and he has two senior medals so far, the rest are spread among his juvenile, novice and junior years.

I wasn't bored enough to count how many of the medals were gold, silver or bronze.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  11. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

But how many are international vs. domestic, Senior vs. below Senior? ;) Abbott never competed on the JGP, for example.

12. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

It would be interesting to classify the medals by international/national and by skating levels and maybe one day I will be motivated enough to do it - but not tonight.

13. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

:) This could be an interesting Trash Can thread topic...

ETA that Lysacek currently is scheduled to perform in Vail, Colorado in December: http://www.planetski.eu/news/4236
    The dates for Golden Spin of Zagreb are Dec. 13-16.

14. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

Yes, frustrating for fans. It would be nice if skaters didn't quit in Oly years so we wouldn't have a "drought" the following season. I can certainly understand for the skaters how hard it must be, though.

15. SkateFan66

SkateFan66 Active Member

Per the Vail.com website, Lysacek is scheduled to skate in Vail Dec. 20-22.

16. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

BINGO! NBC just wants to be able to point to Evan for Nationals and, thus, charge more per advertising minute. Just like they had Sasha in all of the ads in Fall 2009, in the run-up to Olys. Potential casual viewers (not skating fans like ourselves) will tune in expecting to the see a star from the last Olympics. (Who can blame the industry for doing what's necessary to bring in more viewers? Can't complain there. I just hope that Evan really wants it too...not just a marketing ploy.)

17. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

So true. I can't remember when the US men have been so inadequate. And I too have lost all faith in Abbott. If he were a mediocre skater, it wouldn't be so bad. But there is such beauty in his skating when he skates clean, it's all the more disappointing when he chokes on the international stage.
    This team does. A bit of divine intervention would help as well.

18. 4rkidz

4rkidz plotting, planning and travelling

the consequence for our quad jumpers :( Happened to many of our top male skaters - the torque on their groin especially for the quads..

19. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Interesting, but IMO, the above isn't really a predictor of anything. Also, counting Richard's stats from juvenile, novice and junior years is also not too relevant to a total medals won in X number of overall competitions comparison. You'd probably need to separate out senior and junior from anything that occurred prior. All these numbers/ stats maybe might be used by oddsmakers if this were a horse race. ;) IMO, figure skating is a strange sport, and the politics of it all and the way it is judged these days make it even more weird. Too many factors are involved re how well a given skater will perform on a given day. Added to that conundrum is skating order, ice condition, athlete condition, mood, temperament, quality of music and choreo, perhaps even how the costume plays into the performance. When you throw in politics and judging system, and past reputation of the skater, and how well they are known or have performed internationally, it's a mixed bag. Add to that of course that Nationals (particularly in the U.S. is completely different from how an international event is judged, re politics and overindulgent scoring).

Too bad the sport can't be judged on who is the best period, without the limitations of how many can be sent to Worlds from a particular country, especially when there are countries like Japan and the United States with so many skaters with top level talent who have to sit at home because the competition at their Nationals is so deep. This makes the career opportunities so very slim and time-limited. The young up-and-comers in the U.S. will be pushed back even more on their timeline due to veterans like Evan and Johnny coming back. Some will say: Evan and Johnny have more experience and rep with international judges. Others will say: Send one veteran and one up-and-comer. Not sure how U.S. judges will play this out, but they kinda flubbed it in 2011.

20. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

So WHY did you have to re-hash this in a Lysacek news & updates thread?

Thanks for confirming the Vail dates.

21. B.Cooper

B.Cooper Active Member

So, no Patrick Chan in Vail this year? He has been the top-billed skater in Vail for the last few seasons during the winter holiday shows...

22. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Will be responding to this in the U.S. men thread since the above post and my response are inappropriate and unwelcome in Evan's official comeback announcement thread. ;)

ETA: Check that -- to the Trash Can instead per Sylvia's request, as indeed my response is so out of place in any GSD thread

23. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Wasn't a groin pull/tear what took out Alexei Urmanov? Tore it in competition and ended up not competing again?

24. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Replaced the display under my name

Yes Alexi was leading after the short program at worlds and had to withdraw due to the injury - it was his best shot at actually winning a world title. Same injury that ended Elvis's consistency - how he competed with it at the Olympics in Japan is still a marvel, but certainly he paid a price.

25. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
  26. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

From Sarah and Drew's 10/23/12 "Inside Edge" blog:
    Source link: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20121023&content_id=40000334&vkey=ice_news (scroll down to "A day in the life")

27. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Good hear that Lysacek is training and recuperating from his injury. Looking forward to his return.

28. rosewood

rosewood Well-Known Member

Wow So happy to hear he started training again. But DON'T work TOO HARD, Evan!!

29. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Sorry but that is impossible, according to Scott Hamilton (on last week's SA broadcast), Evan is the hardest working figure skater

30. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

Doesn't Evan have to compete at least one senior B comp to qualify for 4cc or Worlds?