Evan Officially Announces His Comeback

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by sk9tingfan, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

Is there a public link to this video?

Here's Lysacek's updated Team USA bio: http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/detail.jsp?id=100081&mode=I

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  2. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

I saw the Today Show this morning, too. Evan said that Vera was working on his new suits. He also said his programs were ready and his music was ready. He looked great and was really excited about competing starting in October.

Good to have you back, Evan! :)

3. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

If anyone is going to challenge the idea that a quad is necessary it is him! All the medalists at 2012 worlds tried it in the SP and LP so he will be an aggressive challenger to that. He will say that he has everything! That the quads being done are taking away from all the others artistry.

4. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

I just noticed he was listed on the competitors on the SA website. :watch: I should have checked here first. :lol:

5. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

It's funny, but my feelings for Evan have dulled somewhat. I would never have called myself an uber but I was always there to cheer him on during the '07 - '10 quadrennial and defend him and his Olympic title against the Haters. I recognized and really respected him as the best trained and least headcase-y of the top US men and loved him for it

Now, for me, he really needs to put up if he truly is going for it, or risk losing face. No excuses about contract problems. The world of men's skating has changed dramatically since Vancouver: The quad is valued and to be in that elite set of men these days, you have to do it, preferably more than once. I can't say that I'll be a fan of his at all if he shows up with arm-flinging, choreographed angst and 2 3x's. It just won't cut it anymore. Now, if he is fine with a top 10 finish doing that, fine (Although I can't see the USFSA being fine with that!). But, no excuses or complaints about it.

I am encouraged by his music choices posted up-thread. That's a start and might show a more lyrical side to him. I also hope that he learned some things about pizzazz doing all those shows and DWTS, learned something about his inner self that will come across a little more genuinely when he skates. FC is a good coach, but he has a habit of doing the same old same old year after year. Evan needs to be different now, technically and artistically, to be a big threat (again, if he's competing to win)

Oh, and Nationals with 2 eligible spots, and all these men figuring into the mix, is going to be nuts!

Just my .02

6. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Top choreographer, top designer and top coach. Evan is ready to roar! ;)

7. casken

casken Well-Known Member

Please god let him have better triple axels.

8. mikeko

mikeko Member

I'm looking forward to comparing his Poeta to Lambiel's masterpiece. Seriously.

9. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Good luck to Evan. It's a gutsy choice for him to come back, because he knows that every competition that he doesn't win will be scrutinized.

(I still believe it when I see it though :p)

10. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

so we'll mostly have same old face
    I want Hanyu to kick Butt :cool:

11. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Pretty much. If he actually does carry out his comeback at some point, I am not sure what his goals or motivation for it would be. It is hard to imagine even him being delusional enough to convince himself he can fight for gold vs the current field.

12. Sylvia

From Phil Hersh's article today: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...s-he-is-coming-back-20120810,0,4124661.column

13. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

:cheer2::cheer2: Go, Evan! Go :kickass:!!!

14. mgobluegirl

mgobluegirl Well-Known Member

Sasha was not marked ridiculously up at 2010 nationals, so that gives me hope. I like our young guys and I want to see them continue to develop and be rewarded for what they do well. I'll also be excited to see Evan and Johnny again (if it happens, I'll believe it when I see it).

Keep dreaming. He's never had good Axel technique, and I don't expect that to change now. His best thing is his consistency.

15. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

The team competition as part of the rationale for coming back does make sense. If ever can get back near his 2010 form, he'd be a heck of a lot better than what we saw at Worlds last year. Hopefully the US men's situation will improve to the point where we have a medal contendor, but it's not happened yet. So if the rest of the US men don't improve and Evan is able to regain his form, he probably can't really contend for an individual medal without a quad but he could definitely add points for the team over what we saw in 2012.

16. olympic

From the Chicago Tribune article:

snip

I hope this comes to fruition

17. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Please, God, if he doesn't, let the judges give the appropriate marks.

18. caseyedwards

It's very doubtful. Under the old COP he was able to get a level 4 step sequence and now they are easier to get. They will focus on the level 4 step sequences and now that there is going to a halfway point bonus in the SP they will backload SP and LP and go for level 4 step sequences. Maybe 6 jumps after the halfway point in the LP and 2 in the SP. He was very strident in defending his quadlessness.

19. mikeko

mikeko Member

If the judge panel had in Vancouver, he wouldn't have won the gold. They turned a blind eye to his UR-ed 3A and lip while Takahashi's UR on 3F+3T and "e" on 3Lz (twice) were really questionable.

20. SkateFan66

SkateFan66 Active Member

The video is private.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  21. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

Could not agree more!!! Welcome back, Evan...

22. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

That's what's happened to them before. Neither one of them beat Abbott the last two times they were all at Nationals, and it will be a tough order for either (or both) of them to do it in 2013. With only two spots for U.S. Men at Worlds and tougher competition than there was back in 2010, the chances are that at least one, if not both of them, won't make the cut.

23. olympic

But that was then. This is now.

Kind of continuing my first post: I'm not as big of an Evan fan anymore (but I still don't get the strident dislike for the guy), and I do think there is a chance we will get a Quadless Evan again since he's going to be 28 yrs old and no longer a spring chicken, but he and FC would have to be pretty clueless not to grasp where Men's skating is in 2012 - 2013 as opposed to 2009 - 2010. They will probably strategize accordingly. It could be Evan's goal will be just a team comp slot @ Sochi ... or something like that.

24. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Is that a euphemism for something more intimate? :lol:

25. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

News flash, but not every skater is in it just to win medals. Some actually enjoy training and competing, and just being able to participate in the sport.

If Evan has decided he wants to go back into competition - and he of all people should know the amount of work it takes to win at the highest level - then good for him. I hope he enjoys what he does, whatever that leads to.

26. Sylvia

27. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

I like Evan and wish him well and his music choices are wonderful, but I will be rooting for my main man Dai up until Sochi.

28. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

The judges should have been consistently marking him down on the GOE for the very apparent pre-rotation (much bigger than what is usually the case).

With the technical panel, it's not as clear cut as they cannot watch the pre-rotation in slo-mo.

29. caseyedwards

The man chosen for the team will also compete in the mens event.

Frank Carroll was saying in 2010 that the Olympic judges would not give the gold to anyone who did not do a quad. They do not believe a quad is important or necessary to be successful and find ways to get the points. The whole goal of Vancouver was to win Olympic gold and nothing else and they did so without a quad just like they won the world title. There is no jump standard in skating there is just get the most points.

Judges are now giving men 10's in PCS. Lori Nichol and her judges seminars may lead to Lysacek getting 10's.

"I still believe the winning program will be a clean one." Lysacek says he watches Chan and says this? Obviously because he never made a major mistake with his all triple programs he thinks he can beat Chan.

30. olympic

Thanks for clarifying that. I didn't know.

From what you posted, FC said in 2010 that a Quad was important and no one would win without one?

Anyway, if following the rules gets you the most points and it wins you the competition, then all power to that skater and his coach. It's not the skater's fault

OK. If EL said this, it would be a little delusional ... Chan gets massive point totals w/ falls and stumbles