Evan Not Competing in GP

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by sk9tingfan, Oct 14, 2011.

1. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

2. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Surprise, surprise...

Good opportunity for Doug.

3. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

What a surprise. :p

4. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

Yes, simply shocking. :p

Good for Razzano! :) Strong showing in a so-called "B" earns him an "A".

5. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Of course he isn't.

6. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

The announcement came right on time and as expected.

The link doesn't take me to the story, though.

7. DaveRocks

DaveRocks Well-Known Member

:rolleyes: Did he ever have *any* intention? :blah:

8. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Now, he needs to not show up at Nationals. I have a lot of money riding on that. :shuffle:

9. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

I think it's 50/50. :D

10. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Great for Razzano. Got my attention in 2010 by doing quads in both SP and LP and then this year with the top 6 finish in the SP. Good for him!

11. SkateFan66

SkateFan66 Active Member

I think Evan intended to compete in the GP. However, given the fact that he was sporting a left leg brace in mid-September, it is not surprising that he WD.

12. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

13. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

14. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

SHOCKING! :eek:

Who would have thought?!!!

15. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

Darn, I was looking forward to seeing him skate competitively again. According to Phil's article he quotes Carroll as saying that Evan is not injured and then he
    gives some kind of mumbo jumbo reason regarding the Federation. What is that supposed to mean.

16. SkateFan66

SkateFan66 Active Member

The statement on the U.S. Figure Skating website stated that Lysacek withdrew from both SA and TEB.

17. jlai

jlai Title-less

Great for Razzano, though I'm curious why Messing isn't the first alternate. Is it because he's already assigned to a competition the following week? But then I assume skaters know there's a great possibility the next in line will be competing at SA so perhaps Messing knew he'd not be competing at SA?

18. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

Financial issues. Hmmmm.

centerpt1 and (deleted member) like this.
  19. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

Quite interesting reasoning. Not shocked he's not doing the GP though.

20. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

Well he waited long enough to tell us LOL!

21. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

It means that Evan knew USFSA was planning to profit off him to sell tickets (which isn't going well) and wanted a cut. Nothing wrong with that IMHO.

USFSA tends to want to profit off thier athletes as do most sports governing bodies. Figure skaters have tradionally just been "grateful" for handouts, but... it's really a business and it's up to them and thier team to get them the best deal for thier talents. Evan doesn't "need" a Skate America and it could actually hurt his "marketablity" if he went and didn't win. Skate America "needed" an Evan. OGM sells tickets! If Evan wanted to be "compensated" for the risk then IMHO that's fine.

I think it would have been nice if this had been dealt with sooner, but.... considering that we don't have an "offical" location for Nationals 2013 and the fact that the location for Skate America 2011 was announced three or four months in advance, it fits the trend..

22. bartek

bartek New Member

Is Evan Sasha's friend?

Poggi and (deleted member) like this.
  23. SkateFan66

SkateFan66 Active Member

I doubt that Lysacek wanted a "cut of the profits" from Skate America. IMO, Lysacek wanted funding, and USFSA would not agree. It could explain why USFSA had not even placed Lysacek on the Reserve Team envelope.

24. sassybuford

sassybuford New Member

Evan's tweet:

I regret to inform that I am withdrawing from the 2011 Grand Prix Series. I am extremely trained and eager to compete at Skate America, but a suitable agreement could not be reached between US Figure Skating and myself by the event entry deadline. I'm extremely disappointed in this turn of events, but I hope to be back on competitive ice this season.

25. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

That's too bad - I would have liked to see him skate again in competition.

It's a bold move to tak about the diiiirtyyyyy monnnneeeeey. (Bug Bunny reference)
    I wonder if Frank Carroll spoke out of turn? Hope not.

If the envelope funding is for the season, wouldn't that mean he's not going to skate at Nationals, either, because they couldn't come to terms? 4CC's, the Team Competition and Worlds, would also be out of the picture if he didn't skate nationals.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  26. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

I took it as a disagreement over "appearance fees"..not the traditional funding or a "cut"..

27. Mayra

Mayra Well-Known Member

I don't think Evan's problem was with envelope funding but more to do with an outside contract that would pay him $$ for an appearance at Skate America.
    I doubt if TEB was ever in his plans.

28. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

I have always felt Evan gets badly and childishly treated in this board but honestly Im more happy about Doug getting Skate American than him not competing.

29. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Weird, the whole financial side of things. Weird. Not surprised at all by him opting out, but I have to wonder what goes on behind the scenes with money. I feel very uninformed!

30. olifaunt

olifaunt New Member

Do other people get appearance fees? I thought all the money in the grand prix was from prizes.