Evan Lysacek's Very Revealing Interview, Your Questions Answered

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by ChrisYandek, Apr 4, 2011.

1. ChrisYandek

ChrisYandek New Member

I know a lot of you guys wanted to know about Evan's future and what he wants to do. He gave a very long set of responses about where he is in his life and noted that he hasn't had time to figure out his professional and personal future.

We also got Dancing with the Stars and other questions answered. I would greatly appreciate you guys spreading the word on this. It was a honest and very open example of Evan telling the world where he is in his life personally and professionally. It is a beyond genuine interview.

You can read or listen to the entire interview below:

http://www.cyinterview.com/2011/04/...lyzes-life-his-future-and-skating-for-harlem/

LynnW, smurfy, Lanna and 13 others like this.
  2. jjane45

jjane45 New Member

Thank you very much for this great interview, Chris!

3. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

Wow - you certainly caught Evan in a very self-reflective mood, which made for quite an interesting read. Great job, and thanks for sharing.

4. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

Great interview! Terrific job, thanks for sharing!

5. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

WOW, Chris, thanks so much for this great interview!!!

6. JJH

JJH Well-Known Member

Chris, this is a fascinating interview. I never realized that Evan was this reflective and self-analytic, especially in the final section. "It takes me a few days to sort of reconnect with the world after I've just disappeared to accomplish a goal." It's interesting to think that the same internal focus and ability to tune out the outside world in order to compete so successfully may have the unintended consequence of making him feel more detached than he would like to be.

7. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

Evan really bared his soul in this interview. Great read. Thank you.

8. Taso

Taso Well-Known Member

Wow, that actually was a really soul baring interview, wasn't expecting that at all

9. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Congrats, a very different and interesting interview!

10. ChrisYandek

ChrisYandek New Member

Thank you all. I would greatly appreciate if some of you would take the time to check out http://www.cyinterview.com and consider bookmarking it. It's my kind of interview style and we cover things from all walks of life.

Your support is greatly appreciated.

I don't know of all the figure skating boards, online communities, Twitter or FB pages, so if you guys could spread the link to other places you visit would be greatly appreciated.

11. reut

reut Active Member

Great interview! Enjoyed so much reading it. And learned a lot about Evan.
    Thank you.

12. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

Wonderful interview. Thanks so much for sharing.

13. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Wow! It's been said already, but I love how self-reflective Evan is in this interview. Thanks!!! :cool:

14. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Great interview! Thank you :)

15. tapper88

tapper88 New Member

Thank you Chris!! :)

16. ChrisYandek

ChrisYandek New Member

You're all very welcome. It's worth listening to as well besides reading if you get the time.

17. Made4Dancin

Made4Dancin New Member

Hmm... I may end up liking this Evan Lysacek yet.

Great interview.

18. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

Fascinating, thoughtful interview. Many thanks!!!

19. Justathoughtabl

Justathoughtabl New Member

Evan is smarter than he gets credit for, and I think he comes across better in print than on video. I've read interviews where he almost (almost) expresses regret that he dedicated SO MUCH time to training, thereby becoming unable to focus on anything else--because of the comedown after the Olympics. But now he seems to be more energized about thinking about his future.

I'm not a fan of Evan's skating, even though it has become a bit less wooden recently. I like the more creative/artistic skaters. I'm also not a fan of a few things he has said over the years. However, I think he's basically a good guy. I hope he finds himself, the person, now that he's developed himself, the skater.

20. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

One must remember/understand how much taller Evan is than his competitors. A tall guy´s skating never looks the same as a short guy´s. And they move very differently on the ice. Besides, I think that also Evan is creative (refering to his performances in 2 improve Ice (sp?) -shows. Artistry is different, there is not just one kind. In my opinion Evan is artistic in his own way as some other guys are in their own way.

21. Justathoughtabl

Justathoughtabl New Member

Okay, but I still don't like his skating. It's just my opinion. I know he can't help how tall he is--and I think that's a big part of why I don't like think he looks all that great on the ice with his long arms and legs. But I also just think of him as the Tom Cruise of figure skating. Often he replaces "intensity" for real emotion. It's just how I see it, and it's not my taste. I like character-- Kurt Browning or Stephane Lambiel or Johnny Weir.

22. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

To each their own. I fell for Evan's skating because his intensity and power reminded me of my favorite male skater of all time, Brian Boitano. Brian was also considered more of a technician than an artist, and like Evan, it took time for him to develop both.

And one fan's interpretation of emotion may be very different for another. Evan's intensity hits me the right way as a display of emotion, while some of the artistry that many love in other skaters (Oksana Bauil being my favorite example) comes across to me as histrionics and over-the-top mugging. Again, different people, different preferences.

Back to the interview, Chris, please keep us posted on my interviews like these. You really were able to get to Evan's "heart" and allowed him to reveal new sides to himself. I look forward to more of your interviews! Bravo!:40beers:

Rex and (deleted member) like this.
  23. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Yazmeen, I'm with you!

Evan has developed a style and approach that works for him,
    I enjoy and admire his skating; as I do that of many people.
    May he enjoy a long and successful career, wherever life takes him.

Chris, thank you for the great questions.
    Evan, thanks for your candor.

Cheylana and (deleted member) like this.
  24. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

Great interview. Thanks for sharing!

25. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

That's understsandable - like Yazmeen said, to each his own. I really like all of those guys you mentioned, but I think Evan brings something a bit different to the table that I also like. :)

26. Aimless

Aimless New Member

Fabulous, thoughtful interview. I feel I know Evan better. I'm proud of him as the US champion.

27. ChrisYandek

ChrisYandek New Member

I feel like we've gotten every figure skating fan in the world to come to our page. Thank you all for your support.

In the past I've interview now Evan, Kristi Yamaguchi, Sasha Cohen and Scott Hamilton.

Every so often I'll make an effort to do another figure skating profile. Who would you like to see me speak to?

28. ChrisYandek

ChrisYandek New Member

29. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

I'd love to see on in the future with Alissa Czisny, especially how she worked to get over her head issues and make such a comeback.

30. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

Glad to see the thread bumped up.
    I'd love to hear so many people interviewed, i don't know where to start! Maybe with Orser- I'd love to hear where he is in life and his opinions on skating vs coaching without the edge of controversy. But really, any in- depth interview would be greatly appreciated.