Evan Lysacek's mom tells her story of his journey

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by jlai, May 11, 2010.

1. jlai

jlai Title-less

http://figureskating.teamusa.org/ne...tells-her-story-of-his-journey/35891?ngb_id=3

Sorry if this has been posted

I like this bit:

2. Oreo

Oreo Active Member

Thank you for posting this. She would be wonderful to have as a mother.

3. cheriepopo

cheriepopo Active Member

I like this :cool:

Thanks for posting this story!

4. VALuvsMKwan

VALuvsMKwan Wandering Goy

Perhaps she should call Maman Joubert to give her advice (i.e. liberate your petit garcon if you want him to win la medaille d'or). :EVILLE:

LynnW and (deleted member) like this.
  5. cheriepopo

cheriepopo Active Member

exactly what I think:lol:

6. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

deleted, double posting

Last edited: May 11, 2010
  7. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

I´m not surprised at all that Lysacek has a wonderful and sensible mother. Thanks so much for the link to this great interview!!!

8. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting this! I thought this was cute:

Awwww! :)

Eden and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Megi

Megi Well-Known Member

10. RockTheTassel

RockTheTassel Well-Known Member

Nice article. She seems sweet and supportive and not at all controlling or pushy. Good for Evan for having great family support throughout his career.

11. jenji124

jenji124 Well-Known Member

What a nice article, she seems like a great lady. She could hold a clinic for a number of parents out there.

12. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

This is a great interview.

13. Skateushka

Skateushka Active Member

Great article!! Seems like a smart lady, fabulous mom. That is why Evan is so grounded.
    Hope some of the skating moms of younger up and coming athletes read this articel and take some advice from it.

14. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

I bet there are some coaches out there who would like to have that printed out and handed as a leaflet to a lot of skating parents.

15. Sit_spin

Sit_spin New Member

Wow, this interview impressed me. More moms of skaters need to be like her.

16. MOIJTO

MOIJTO Banned Member

That's why he is a champion. Parents that butt out and know their place are why champions are champions!

17. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

any one who gets up at 4 30 in the am EVERYDAY deserves to win an OGM ;)

18. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

I remember back when Pat Lipinski was roaring her obnoxious way into every bit of media attention she could find and Danny Kwan was forcing his daughter to treat the Olympics like a business trip (God forbid she could enjoy herself a bit...) thinking "Geez, I don't recall if Brian Boitano even HAD parents!!!"

I agree with Mojito, and I'm actually happy to see that the trend for the parents to be in the spotlight seems to have passed even with the younger skaters (I barely recall much about either Mirai or Rachel's folks aside from Mirai's mom battling thyroid cancer when Mirai cited it as inspiration). Skating parents could take a strong lesson from Tanya Lysacek. Even if you support it with every fiber of your being, it's your child's dream, not yours. And that makes it extra sweet when it comes true. Bravo Evan, and Bravo Tanya!!!

19. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

If parents butting out is one reason why champions are champions, then I think it likely that both Pat Lipinski and Danny Kwan are not as interfering as they are often viewed. After all, I think both Tara and Michelle qualify as "champions". However, both Tara and Michelle were (at least in Nagano) significantly younger than Evan -- so a little more parental involvement is (at least IMO) understandable.

Seriously, though, I think that Tanya Lysacek is setting a good example for other parents of adult skaters.

20. jlai

jlai Title-less

I can't speak for the female skaters who tend to be underaged,but for male skaters it does seem to be true that many male skaters who fulfill their potential don't have parents who attract atttention in any sort of way.

21. freezin'rinkmom

freezin'rinkmom New Member

honestly...when was the last time Evan got up that early ...(edited to add)...to train each day...(not to travel from DWTS to SOI).

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  22. cheriepopo

cheriepopo Active Member

maybe just yesterday? :hat1: just take a look at his tight schedule:eek:

23. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Given his current schedule, I'm not sure he sleeps.

24. JOHIO2

JOHIO2 Well-Known Member

I've never met Tanya L. She was not in the stands in Cleveland when Evan won the junior title. Unfortunately, some of her "acquaintances" were in the stands and spent a ridiculous amount of time dissing her. I took their carping as juvenile--and they certainly proved it over and over by the things they said during short and free programs. The fact that I never really heard about her again after 2000 made me realize that my dismissal of the remarks those young people made was probably right.

I've sat in the stands with or near parents of other skaters, and most of these parents are nice people who support their children, no matter what. I've never seen a parent berate a young skater. I hope that THAT is the actual norm!

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  25. jlai

jlai Title-less

26. azskatefan

azskatefan New Member

It's not uncommon for parents to talk about each other, especially when they are jealous. Even if you're a parent, it's understandable that you would be envious when other people or their kids are experiencing such success. It's human nature IMO. I've met a number of parents throughout my time following skating. I've always found Tanya to be very humble. She doesn't usually talk much but the pride she has in all three of her children, not just Evan, is really evident when she does. She's different than say, Patti Weir, but they're both great parents. Connie Nam (Naomi Nari) is also one parent I remember being very humble and kind. I remember sitting next to her on a bus at nationals when Naomi was very popular. She was very nice. Seemed like just a regular person with a skating daughter.

27. skatemom2002ca

skatemom2002ca Member

I have had the privilege of meeting both Evan and Tanya. I can't say enough about both of them. Tanya was, and continues to be, a wonderful supporting Mom. She and I had a laugh about the superstitions that we had, to assure ourselves that we wouldn't jinx our sons' skating :)

28. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

While I am not sure about Tara... I don't get the "Kwan parent bashing"

Let's see, she has World titles, TONS of National titles, a couple of Olympic medals, a college degree and is working on graduate school.. Seems like they must have done SOMETHING right. That's more then most of us accomplish :)

I think that some of the "parent" bashing on here is based more on "rumor" then reality. (Not all, but at least some)

There are lots of top skaters whose parents I wouldn't know if I met them. And there are parents I have met in passing who are truly class acts. I have never met one who wasn't trying to do thier best.

Evan's mom is a prime example. Behind the scenes supporting him and doing her best.. (And it turned out very well, didn't it!:) )

Last edited: May 15, 2010
  29. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Some children succeed and do well independent of their parents' behavior---good or bad!

30. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

True, but when parents have more than one children and they all turn out well, then (IMO), there is a stronger indication of good parenting, rather than "coincidentally" all doing well independently of their parents' behavior.