Evan Lysacek News and Update - Determination to Win

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by aymkjb88, Jun 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

2. sassybuford

sassybuford New Member

That is recent. It's the second private lesson via charity auctions he's given during the past year.
  3. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

Phil Hersh's latest: Lysacek optimistic his issues with U.S. skating close to resolution; Training to make delayed competitive comeback next year
  4. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

Anyone want to hypothesize what underlies the financial disagreements? I have mine but am curious about others' opinions.

I also wonder if he regrets leaving the IMG stable of athletes. Does anyone remember a disagreement of this magnitude occurring between USFSA and an Olympic champion or other before this? If so, with whom?
  5. dots

dots Well-Known Member

Ok, you go first :p
  6. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

I tend to think that Evan’s new agents were not savvy enough about what make USFSA and the skating world tick as I believe that they did not have significant or any experience with the sport. Personally, I tend to think that this would not have happened if Evan had stayed with IMG.

Also based on the statement that it involved funding, I wonder if USFSA indicated that based on his current and/or future income from endorsements, that he forgo Team A funding, in order to give it to others who did not have access to such endorsements. Another possibility is that USFSA felt that he should not accept certain types of endorsements as they might threaten his eligible status. Just my own crazy thoughts.:p
  7. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I didn't realize that the USOC is the overseer for USFS. You'd think if that were the case they could force USFS to use US Nationals as the Olympic Qualifying event and take a cut of the revenue.

US TV must be drooling over the prospect of "Rematch of the Olympic Titans: Lysacek vs. Plushenko."
  8. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I hope that the "issues", whatever they are, can be solved.
    Evan should be able to compete, if he chooses to do so.
  9. centerpt1

centerpt1 Active Member

Apparently he could have skated this season if he signed the contract. He didn't (or his agents didn't want him to) sign. So Evan kept himself out.
  10. skatesindreams

My point was, whatever the issues were, they weren't worked out in time for him to compete this year,

No competitor should be made to feel like an "indentured servant" in order to compete.
    If money is the issue, I hope that a mutually agreeable arrangement can be found.
  11. Morry Stillwell

Morry Stillwell Well-Known Member

Evan can compete anytime he wishes to do so. What he can't demand, is appearance fees. US Figure Skating is not preventing him from competiing. The choice is his.:rolleyes:
  12. minignome

minignome New Member

And does anyone know FOR A FACT that he demanded appearance fees or is this just conjecture and rumor?
  13. Morry Stillwell

That is a question that should be asked of Evan. What I do know for certain, is that Evan can compete any time he wishes. It is his decision only.
  14. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

FWIW, this is a new USFS team envelope criterion for the 2012-13 season:
  15. SkateFan66

SkateFan66 Active Member

Interesting. However, envelope funding was not the issue last year since Lysacek did not request envelope funding.
  16. maureenfarone

maureenfarone Active Member

I have no idea what is going on :rofl:, but maybe envelop funding is being offered in place of an appearance fee. Maybe we will see Evan at Nationals again, and maybe not!
  17. Morry Stillwell

US Figure Skating dose not have such policies or restrictions.
  18. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

I hate when people suggest that skaters all use IMG because they are the only ones who can work with skating federations, etc... It's called a monopoly.
  19. Athena

Athena New Member

Evan Leaves CAA for Michelle Kwan's agent, Shep Goldberg

20. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

His change of agent was wonderful news, I´m feeling so happy! And if he would really compete at Nebelhorn Trophy, one could get to read so many details... My first thought was though, why not Finlandia Tropy also as he will be so close in Europe, :). That too would give him points and is now in an areena better located than for some years:

http://www.stll.fi/finlandia_trophy/ October 5 to 7, 2012

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  21. skatesindreams

I hope that the "issues"; whatever they are, can be resolved, at last.
    USFS needs him, for a number of reasons; and he wants to compete.
  22. Athena

Athena New Member

Shouldn't the assignment be decided by USFSA? I doubt if he can be sent to both. This reminds me that he hasn't competed in Europe since Torino Olympics... interesting...

I won't get overexcited yet about the new agent, don't know much about this guy, is he still working with Michelle Kwan? Does he have any other famous client?
  23. Athena

Athena New Member

Sarah and Drew's blog re: the 'Ice Chips' show.

Not a fan of the 'Samson and Delilah' costume, it's so weird, looks better in motion, but still weird; the new costume for 'the Climb' looks really nice though, he should wear that in competition.
  24. Morry Stillwell

Shep is well known by Figue Skating Officials and event producers. Shep Goldberg is known as an ethical agent. He knows skating very well and always done a good job for his clients.
  25. Athena

Athena New Member

That's great, thank you! Do you know who else are Shep's clients at this point? Is he still Michelle's agent?
  26. Athena

Athena New Member

U.S. Department of State Names Evan Lysacek as Sports Envoy

Evan will also attend the "Stockholm on ice" gala on Monday. The King and Queen of Sweden are on the guest list. (Source)

Congratulations Evan! :cheer:
  27. Athena

Athena New Member

In this IceNetwork Article, Evan also talked a little bit about his trip to Dubai and Abu Dhabi.

28. skatesindreams

Great news, Evan!
  29. CynicElle

CynicElle Well-Known Member

That's really impressive. Is this similar to what Michelle Kwan has been doing for the State Department?
  30. skatesindreams

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.