Evan Lysacek News and Update - Determination to Win

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by aymkjb88, Jun 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

2. sassybuford

sassybuford New Member

I think that's just one of his sponsor obligations. He has been a speaker for them before at different universities (I want to say Columbia and Michigan).

3. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

4. Athena

Athena New Member

Thanks Jaana. Besides the sponsor obligation, he may also use the opportunity to map out his plan of going back to school. IMO, UD is an excellent option for him.

Skate America lineup is finalized.

Men's: Richard Dornbush, Evan Lysacek, Armin Mahbanoozadeh

NBC will broadcast expanded live coverage of 2011 Hilton Honors Skate America on Saturday, Oct. 22 from 3:00 - 6:00 p.m. (ET). That's for men's and ice dancing LP.

Although there's still no official announcement, these (plus the training videos) are really positive signs. :)

5. Athena

Athena New Member

Desert Ice Castle is finally open! The opening celebration will start from 4:00 this afternoon. I assume Palm Springs will be Evan's new 'home' from now on, he'll be bored, but there won't be any distraction, so he'll like it. :lol:

http://www.deserticecastle.com/

6. sassybuford

sassybuford New Member

Anyone heard anything about Evan being injured? This tweet is why I ask:

RichardAConroy Richard Conroy
    Just had @EvanLysacek 2 feet in front of me. In a leg cast. Unreal.

No idea who this person is, but he appears to be in New York, according to other tweets and his profile. Not sure how much to believe a single tweet, though.

7. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Hmmm. Not good if true. But maybe Richard Conroy is in a leg cast?

8. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

Evan's twitter does not mention anything.

9. Roxanne

Roxanne Member

I'm pretty sure I saw another tweet about Evan being in a leg brace. Since he hasn't mentioned it, maybe it's nothing serious.

10. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

^If it's a leg brace, that's a big difference from a cast. So, that makes sense

11. Athena

Athena New Member

I also heard that he's in a leg brace, (((Evan))).

Wish him a very speedy recovery, and make sure to learn the lessons from Rachael Flatt!

12. Athena

Athena New Member

13. query5

query5 New Member

Good luck Evan on continuing to Sochi,

congratulations on the Usoc Award

14. Athena

Athena New Member

15. Athena

Athena New Member

Another excellent article

Olympic champ Lysacek sets sights on Sochi

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110925&content_id=25207840&vkey=ice_news

Believe in yourself Evan, I wish you nothing but all the BEST!

16. Athena

Athena New Member

An USOC article with more details from the award ceremony. :swoon:

Evan Lysacek says he is preparing for Sochi :respec:

http://www.teamusa.org/news/2011/09/26/evan-lysacek-says-he-is-preparing-for-sochi/44740

:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

17. Athena

Athena New Member

Sarah's blog, with Evan's inspirational and heartfelt speech at the USOC award ceremony :respec:. <3

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110926&content_id=25222822&vkey=ice_news

18. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Evan has the heart of an Olympian.
    More power to him, as he works toward his goal.

19. query5

query5 New Member

just one question
    yes, more power to him.
    but i wonder how much money he got from staying in.
    it was reported how much michelle got, how much tara turned down. so i know money has some kind of play into it.
    i just wonder how much.
    but yes, more power to him.
    good luck to him.
    the statement was nice.

20. SkateFan66

SkateFan66 Active Member

U.S. Figure Skating funds skaters based on their placement in the Team Envelope. The envelopes are Team A, Team B, and Team C (the reserve Team receives no funding). Lysacek is not listed on any of the Team envelopes for the 2011-2012 season; therefore, he is not currently receiving funding.

21. Athena

Athena New Member

A little more update from Hersh with Evan's own statement

I don't know what's included in the athlete contract with USFS, but I think the issue is a LOT more complicated than Hersh's speculation.

If it's all about money, why would Evan decline all the tour/show opportunities in the past five months (FOI was an exception because it's for charity), detach himself from the whole world, quietly train himself to death on a daily basis, and kept re-injuring himself? He's doing all of these for NOTHING?!!

As the reigning Olympic champion, he can easily cash in his victory for another 2.5 years from skating shows and public appearances, and he can earn a lot MORE from skating shows than competition (look at Ryan Bradley, Joannie Rochette, Miki Ando, Sasha Cohen, Jeffery Buttle ...). But how many Disson shows he's in this year? ZERO!! That's his choice, simply because he loves training and competing.

And now, after all the hardwork and sacrifices, when he's in the best form of his life, and his favorite GP event is finally hold on his home turf, he all of a sudden quit just because some damn money issue? Knowing how competitive Evan is, it just doesn't make any sense to me.

Whatever the contract issue is, I hope it'll be resolved ASAP. The LAST thing he wants to do is to let a stupid contract ruin his career and path to his ultimate goal.

In addition, whoever is/are his current agent(s), they're NOT doing ANYTHING good for their client. I didn't see any positive impact from them this year on Evan's career development.

22. Athena

Athena New Member

SOI cast list is out, pretty much the same as last year plus Ryan Bradley, but no Evan and Sasha (yet), kinda strange. I guess this means Evan is still serious about Nationals.

No SOI, no Disson shows, no touring outside US, no competition. I'm not sure what's next for Evan, but this doesn't look good at all. He's living a high maintenance life style, hiring the most expensive coach, choreographer, custome designer in the world, training at elite level is never cheap. And he'll probably pay fine to ISU for withdrawing from GP for no medical reason. If, like Hersh and most people speculated, the dispute is all about money, what did he gain? Nothing. How much did he lose? A lot.

Unless his agent has other big plan to back it up, I don't get the point.

23. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

Maybe he should listen to Frank C and not his agent?

24. SkateFan66

SkateFan66 Active Member

None of us are privy to what Frank or CAA has advised Evan to do.

25. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

I'm less surprised about Cohen, who has phoned in almost every SOI performance I've seen her in after her first year.

His past SOI or DWTS earnings should cover a year of elite training, and he does have endorsement money to cover a few expensive toys. I hardly see how a splurge on an expensive hotel -- for how many days? -- will bankrupt him.

There are two monetary penalties/restrictions listed in the GP announcement:

1. Seeded skaters who withdraw for other than medical reasons or bereavement from an event or GPF (3.4)
    2. Seeded skaters who choose three events and withdraw from any for any reason

In addition to monetary penalties, any seeded skater/team that withdraws from GP events before the start of GP cannot appear in other shows, events, competitions.

Lysacek is not a seeded skater: he didn't place 1-6 at last year's Worlds. These provisions don't apply to him.

There's also a reference to Paragraph 136.6 of the ISU regulations:
    It's written to be a sanction of the Federation that gives permission for a skater to appear in other competitions and shows, and the money deducted from any prize money earned by skaters from that Federation or payment made by the Federation. (I assume dues.)

There's no time limit listed in Paragraph 136. If it means any skater who every appeared in the top 10 of any ISU championship, then the paragraph could apply to Lysacek.

However, "other justified reasons" could put the onus on USFS. If USFS offers contracts to its skaters to appear in events, and those contracts are usually issued before the initial GP assignments, then Lysacek could be perfectly justified in refusing to compete in GP, since he allegedly wasn't offered a contract before the draw, and his consent was provisional.

Also, USFS has little incentive to back down from Skate America: they've already gotten their mileage out of advertising him. By making a deal of this now, he's saying they can't do the same for US Nationals.

26. Athena

Athena New Member

Thanks kwanfan1818 for the education on ISU regulation, since the contract has never been signed, I don't think Evan should get the penalty.

Find a little more information regarding what's included in athlete contract from CBC's SA preview.

Evan didn't receive any financial support from USFS, so the dispute could be related to obligation or resposibilities on either or both sides.

27. Athena

Athena New Member

I totally missed the Skate America broadcasting, was there any Evan mention?

28. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

^ plenty. Check out the GSD forum thread about Evan not competing at SKam.

29. Athena

Athena New Member

Thanks, I just quickly read through it but didn't find much useful information. There's a comment about Tracy's speculation from CBC's broadcasting, plus a bit of Frank and Andrea's conversation from NBC's broadcasting, is that all?

Glad to hear he's in great shape, he could easily win SA had he competed here. What a shame! Hope he'll :kickass: at Nationals (IF they can get the damn contract signed in time!!!)

30. Athena

Athena New Member

A nice Frank Carroll interview: "You can't worry about numbers, you have to skate"

Evan mention:

Question: Why some Evan fans would rather wasting your time and effort to argue with a few hard core anti-Evan ids in other threads than posting in his own thread?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.