Evan Lysacek has officially withdrawn from 2013 US Nationals

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Jan 18, 2013.

1. apatinar

apatinar Active Member

A google search shows that Evan is worth $10 million dollars.. I wonder how accurate that is..

2. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Agreed

The closest in recent history: Lillehammer had three 1988 gold medalists competing (only B/B weren't present), but that wasn't four years later (they also had the 1992 gold medalist in pairs and mens, fwiw).

3. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

Not surprized but I am disappointed. Evan imo would have added some much-needed interest in the men's event.

4. SkateFan66

SkateFan66 Active Member

Are referring to Evan's Tweet at Christmas "First ride in the new Ferrari" ?

If you are, the picture was of his niece and nephew taking their first ride in their toy Ferrari. :)

5. misskarne

misskarne #408

Well, duh.

6. Sally1214

Sally1214 Active Member

Seriously ..... did anyone really expect Evan would be at Nationals???

7. The Observer

The Observer New Member

Not a surprise. It's very difficult to come back once you've been out of competition for a couple of years, particularly in today's judging system. I think it will be difficult for both Evan and Johnny Weir to come back, and the latter discovered that a couple of months ago. Plushenko is probably the only one who can do it, and even he has his work cut out for him.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

9. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

Zhenya already proved it, he did it in 2010. :cool: I recall reading when he won the Olympic Silver Medal, Brian Boitano said "3peat". :hat1: Something none of the returning pros in 1994 were able to duplicate except the extraordinary pair team of G&G. But no singles, until Zhenya. :) 2014 will just be icing on the cake...

10. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

2014 Mens event will be much deeper then in 2010. Plus Plushenko will be 4 years older with even worse knees.

11. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

To be thoroughly unoriginal: In other news, the world is round.

12. Meredith

Meredith what a glorious day!

Whatever Evan does, I hope he does it for himself, not because of pressure from fans, skating bodies or the media. If his heart, mind and body aren't into shooting for Sochi in 2014, I hope he does himself a favor and just says no. But if Evan is serious about 2014, I do wish him well.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  13. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

You don't have to win a medal to have a successful comeback. Just qualifying to compete at that level again was a great accomplishment for many of them.

14. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Thanks! Forgot about all the comebacks in Lillehammer somehow. Hard to believe that was 20 years ago...

15. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

I will miss Evan - had hoped his comeback would be successful this year.

16. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

It depends on the skater. No one expected Witt to be a medal contender at LilliHammer, least of all herself. So it was a nice experience for her just to be there and competed. For T&D and BB not to win gold was a disappointment for them and some of their fans.

Evans talks about looking forward to defending his Olympic Gold medal. So he needs to bring it if he steps foot onto the Sochi's ice.

17. tiredout

tiredout New Member

If you saw Kaliedoscope on Ice (Scott Hamilton's Charity Show on TV) Evan skated two fabulous show programs with triple lutzes in both while still being injured before surgery. He looked wonderful as always. Before his injury he was skating in Sun Valley, Japan, Korea, and was scheduled for the Vail Christmas show? Don't you people know these things? He hasn't been sitting around playing checkers. He has been training since before the debacle with USFS back in Oct.2011. If it weren't for this injury and surgery, I believe Evan would have won a third National championship. Abott is too much of a head case and too inconsistent to maintain being a champion and he has never succeeded at anything on the International level except for that one GPF win.

I agree that the 2014 Sochi field is going to be very deep with Chan, Takahashi, Fernandez, Hanyu, Kozuka, and Plushenko, if he returns. But I don't think it is anything that Evan won't be able to handle. Remember folks that Evan is one of the most consistent and most mentally tough skaters in the world. If he wants to defend his title in Sochi, then I believe he will give it his all. If he goes out and gives it the best performance possible that is pleasing to the audience, he will be satisfied no matter the outcome. Evan has already won every title there is to win, He doesn't need to prove anything to anybody. If he goes out there and skates for himself and his country and does a good job of it, then bravo for him. Remember, he does have to qualify first, and the American team doesn't have much right now to rely on. And who says at 27 you have to hang up your skates. Takahashi 26, so is Abbott, and Kurt Browning, who still puts on a good show and executes a 2Axel is 40 or over. So can't we just allow Evan to do what he wants without tearing him down?

ETA: Evan's sports car is a white Audi that he keeps at his home in Las Vegas. I think he has cashed in rather well with his Olympic Gold.

18. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Well, some of us do "know these things" and have given him due credit: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...ps-nationals&p=3770834&viewfull=1#post3770834
    ETA these posts from May 2012: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...ation-to-Win&p=3560823&viewfull=1#post3560823

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  19. NadineWhite

Want some cheese with that w(hine)? Or are you just going to continue to b*tch. :D

Sure, sure, but ultimately coming in 4th or lower means one f a i l e d, period, no bones about it. Except of course at US Nationals, wherein the 4th place finisher is recognized with a medal and gets to stand on the podium with gold, silver, and bronze. :) Those are the hard facts of life.

Concerning Evan, hey, I've always said without him the US won't have a chance in Hades of securing an Olympic Team Medal. They'll have to rely on Russia, Canada, and France dropping the ball. Say what you will about Evan but HE gets the job done. Yet I'm reminded of what Timothy Goebel said when asked about Evan's comeback, which was basically he won't make it because Evan is a workaholic. That's what won him the gold after all, that constant repetition over & over & over again ad nauseam. And ultimately has sidelined him with injury. :(

20. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

Nah, I don't like double standards. You have free reign to "tear down" the rest of the US men, so we also have free reign to trash on Evan and his several withdrawals over the past couple of seasons and his boring, mechanical, and conservative style of skating, programs, and personality if we wish to do so. :shuffle:

21. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

No surprises. I hope that he and Johnny (and other 'wishful returnees') just get out and stay out. I'm tired of the commercial phoniness in which NBC pays old timers to appear on commercials leading up to the next Olympics, even if the athletes have no intention (or technical ability) to keep up with today's elite athletes.

22. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Exactly how is France going to beat out the US for a medal in the Olympic Team Medal competition?

23. NadineWhite

Good question, Jammers, and one I would be pleased to answer. :)

First off, let me start out by saying I have a soft spot for Brian Joubert. I admit I would love to see him end his amateur career with the only medal he does not have, an Olympic Medal. :saint:

Okey doke, that said here are my $0.00 predictions (take it with a grain of salt ;) ):

1.) Gold = Canada; they're honestly dominate in each & every single discipline. Kudos to them. Chan, Osmond, M-T/M & D/R, Virtue & Moir, nuff said. :hat1:
    2.) Silver = Russia; close but no cigar, especially the women. I'll just be happy if Zhenya participates and wins an Olympic Team Medal. :cool:
    3.) Bronze = France; as a team they're a tad better than the USA imho. I think what will clinch it for them is that rising Pair Team they have. I saw them in person at 2012 Skate America and they blew me away, as well as their female singles skater. Tons of power and gaining consistency...

***Note: if Evan's on the Team, then I think we have a legitimate shot!***

How about you, Jammers, I honestly would love to know how you think it will all pan out?

24. misskarne

misskarne #408

Uh, just quietly, do Canada actually have a top-level pairs team? I am confident that the men (Chan) and the dance (V/M) are strong, maybe the ladies, but I can't say I've seen a top-notch Canadian pair this season, unless I've confused someone's nationality...

Personally I think Russia are locked in for team gold. They're just too all-round good. For men they will have their pick; Plushenko won't do it if they have two spots, but having Gachinski, Menshov, Kovtun or even Voronov would make other countries envious. The ladies, there are so many talented Russian girls it's crazy, the pairs, they are strong in both Junior and Senior. Dance is their weak point IMO but even it's not that weak in comparison to others.

Team USA may struggle with or without Lysacek (and I would say the inclusion of Lysacek would be a weakness rather than a strength). They have the Dance locked down (Davis/White), but pairs is suspect, ladies unpredictable and let's just not go there with the men.

But anyway, I don't know why I'm actually putting brainpower into responding to a troll's predictions...

25. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Depends on what you mean by top level. Their gold and silver medalist just gave performances at this year's Nationals that would've won them bronze last year. D/R have the most technical content of any team out there - level fours on everything, SBS triple lutzes. Mt/M go for three triples in their FS. When clean, they'd be competitive with everyone but V/T (nor S/S, but we're not expecting them to be in the team event, are we?).

I'd argue that Russia for Dance is Canada for Pairs, then. I think Russia's the favourite, but I wouldn't call them a lock by any means

Right now, I'd predict something like....

1. Russia
    2. Canada
    3. USA
    4. France
    5. Japan (2 powerhouse disciplines, two terrible ones) or China (one strong, two solid, one weak) or Italy (one strong, two solid, one weak)

26. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

Right you are. Although concerning Witt, I believe she did think she had a legitimate shot of another Olympic medal when she decided to come back for Lillehammer. Not winning German Nationals seemed to be a real disappointment (and wake-up call) for her. I think that, at that point, she decided to follow through with the season and lowered her expectations.

27. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

I feel that Lysacek was really serious about coming back to competition because I clearly remember Maxim Trankov last summer tweeting from Korea where he and Evan were involved in Yuna's All That Skate shows that he saw Lysacek landing a clean 4T/3T in practice there. And who would want to attempt such a hard jump combination if they didn't mean to compete at all?

28. lala

lala Well-Known Member

I also remember Maxim's tweet.

29. danafan

danafan Canadian ladies ├╝ber

Canada only qualified two pairs to the Grand Prix final :rolleyes:

30. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!