Evan Lysacek has officially withdrawn from 2013 US Nationals

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...-skate-championships-20130118,0,5186383.story
    If the link doesn't work (ETA that I've since replaced the original link), here's Lysacek's official statement, issued today, in Hersh's article:
    USFS press release with his statement as quoted above: http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=48896&type=media

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  2. LKR

LKR Active Member

3. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

Color me... not surprised. :p

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  4. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

LOL at even talking of defending his Olympic title at this point. Katarina Witt had more chance of her 3rd gold at the Lillehammer Olympics then at that happening.

5. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

I'm shocked! Shocked, I tell you!

pixie cut and (deleted member) like this.
  6. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

I have to agree with you here.

7. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I wish that people making comeback don't make any announcements beforehand. Just quietly train and then show up like Elaine Zayak in 94. As far as Evan for Sochi, Oh right... I believe it when I see it.

8. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

:lol::lol::lol:

9. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

I agree chances of Evan actually defending his title are mmm, easily rounded down to 0. But, it would be great if both him and Yu-Na were in Sochi since I can't even remember the last time both the men's and women's Olympic champions came back 4 years later. Name recognition would play well with casual Olympic fans, I think, even if in the end he could only realistically hope for a top 6 finish.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  10. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

No surprise.

11. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

i second that. what a mess. Honestly, I dont know whether to be more disappointed that we WONT get to see him compete or that he is pretending to be capable of defending his title.

12. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

Not surprising but still disappointing. Oh well, we're lucky to have such a deep field of men, but having Evan there as well would definitely have added even more excitement.

13. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

To be honest, I thought he had withdrawn months ago. :shuffle:

14. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Maybe the last time was 1936!

So there is still some interest in doing an all triple SP and LP in 2014? That would be so interesting!

15. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

No Johnny or Evan...I hate to be unkind, but when the USFSA picks the World team, it will be like sending a Yugo to a Lexus convention...

16. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Johnny would be outclassed even if he somehow made the World team this year.

17. judgejudy27

Exactly. I am not sure how headcase Abbott, unproven Miner, or Dornbush will do at Worlds this year, but I am 100% sure whichever two go will have done better than Weir would have this year (20th place or so) not that Weir was ever making the World team this year anyway. I would hazard to guess the top U.S finisher at Worlds (7th place maybe although hopefully better than that) will have done atleast as well as Evan would have done at Worlds this year too. The U.S is unlikely to regain 3 spots sadly, but they were unlikely to do so with any team they would have sent this year. If Abbott skates his best at Worlds, and the 2nd U.S men had a great competition they would have a good shot to do it anyway, but that is unlikely to happen.

18. DimaToe

DimaToe Well-Known Member

Agreed about Johnny. Even if Lysacek had gone to worlds this year I don't think he would have managed anything above 5th place, U.S men's skating just isn't one of the top dogs anymore, the best men's medal contender USFS has at the moment is Abbott, but we all know how he usually does at worlds :scream:

19. judgejudy27

The sad thing is if Abbott skated cleanly at Worlds I am pretty sure he would win atleast the bronze. Takahashi, Chan, Hanyu, and Fernandez skating cleanly would all still beat him skating cleanly (well he might beat Fernandez due to higher PCS and GOE) but you know that group would make enough mistakes for him to medal. Will he ever put it all together at Worlds though, time is running out on him now.

20. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Evan and Johnny need to realize that their time has come and gone and just retire.

21. judgejudy27

Is Evan still doing SOI. He should be cashing in his Olympic Gold this quad, as post Sochi he wont be such a star anymore (and American SOI will probably be bankrupt by then anyway). This was a huge window for himself with his Oly Gold and he is wasting it all away, and for what exactly. Once American SOI goes under he will be less in demand as a show skater than even fellow Americans Weir and Abbott will be (especialy Weir who is highly in demand overseas).

22. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

WTF?! If Abbott, Miner, and Farris are considered "Yugos", then Weir and Lysacek at their present states must be unicycles. :shuffle:

23. DaveRocks

DaveRocks Well-Known Member

Evan? Evan who?

24. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

Six stops.... There may be no "cashing in" available

25. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

That quote sounds so pre-manufactured. I understand that USFS wants the skaters to be trained to do well with the media, but honestly, by now the quotes from everyone are predictable to the point that they don't really tell you anything - which kind of counteracts the purpose of having an interview or issuing a press release.

26. dariko

dariko New Member

Spring of 2011 was the last time Evan skated in SOI/CSOI and he has not been in a Disson show since 2010. He hardly does any ice shows anywhere and it's too bad because he's really underrated as a show skater. His last three exhibitions with new choreography--Man in the Mirror, Tango de Roxanne, and The Climb--were all excellent.

This stubborn groin injury may have been karma for his refusal to skate last season. Now that the skating gods have their pound of flesh, things may go more smoothly for him next season if he does choose to compete. As an Evan fan, I do not demand any more World or Olympic glory from him--he has given me quite enough, and I would be just as happy if he retired now and entered college. But if he does want to compete, I would love to see "three-time U.S. champion" on his resume.

27. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

so true- seems like many other skaters are also in the position- the lack of the professional circuit leaves them with nothing post ametur to provide them with not feeling the loss of everything they know =( its sad really on so many levels
    and i am not surprised evan wont be at nationals.....

28. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

How could Evan have signed a contract with SOI when it opened New Years weekend (then went to Japan for performances) and he was apparently training for nationals?

I agree with Orbitz that come back candidates should keep it to themselves and just work until they're pretty much ready to go. I know that isn't realistic but all of the bouncing around of the "announced" gets old after a while. I know, they're trying...

29. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Ah, Evan come on back even if you aren't in competition form. I would still like to see you skate. Everyone would understand (as much as they are going to understand anyway).

30. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

He recently bought a Ferari (sp) I think, so he is or has cashed in on his Olympic gold