Evan Lysacek and his "quadlessness".

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Auntie, Feb 16, 2011.

1. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Kevin Reynolds' is looking pretty good in practice. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApzeFtzKhwc
    Should be just a matter of time.

2. let`s talk

let`s talk Banned Member

Actually, I think OP is the one who surely met CaseyEd. Judging by the opening post here the whole thread was for Casey, not for Evan or a quad. :2faced:
    Probably because folks are hungry for quads. FS is a sport afterall.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fx3GnlX4TlY

3. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

And Johnny dyed them pink and platinum.

4. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Seriously, the real crime wasn't that Plushenko didn't get gold, it's that Daisuke didn't get silver instead of him. And one would think since casey thinks a splatfest with great everything else is so wonderful, they'd totally agree with that--Daisuke rotated his quad, even if he faceplanted, and everything else about his skating including all his other jumps was superior to Plush. If he'd landed that quad he would have been the clear winner. Evan had the best clean program of the night, Daisuke had the next-best overall and would have had the best without the fall. Plushenko was a hot mess in the LP and was given a MASSIVE holding up and should have been happy he wasn't placed lower than he was.

Give it a rest, caseyedwards. Even the fashion-blog readers think you're nuts.

5. Zokko!

Zokko! Comansnala?

Actually I don't care for quads that much, if it would have been the only "less" in L.'s skating efforts. Unfortunately the poor amateur is full of "less'". Sorry, this result will always be a disgrace to me. Daisuke Takahashi is the true Olympic Champion! :swoon:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2011
  6. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

If Takahashi did land that quad he would have been more deserving than Plushenko for gold. I still think he would have been a great silver medalist if Plushenko won gold. Both Takahashi and Plushenko both believed that the jumping portion of a program should have a quad. Takahashi said he would not have been comfortable going to the Olympics and not doing a quad. Because if Takahashi landed that quad and then did everything else he did that night even with Plushenkos two quad triples - Takahashi really did have everything! He would have been the has it all - all around great skater. Lysacek is just not that at all. His jump ceiling is at triples-that is not moidern.

7. ciocio

ciocio Active Member

Vancouver definitely are my favourite Olympics!:watch::fan::biggrinbo

8. ciocio

ciocio Active Member

sorry, double post

9. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Since the first (unratified) quads were first seen in competition only around the early 1980s, I wouldn't call quads exactly "moidern" either.

10. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

if
    if
    if
    if
    if
    if
    if
    if

:lol: this is so comical!

11. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

Lysacek can wear the hell out a good suit, got to agree. :kickass:

Whoa, that's a gross pseud -- "Pinkcheese"? (poster responding to the "mysterious" caseyoedwards at that link)

12. Mafke

Mafke New Member

Fortunately skaters are not judged on their beliefs about program composition.

13. misskarne

misskarne #408

I think you'd all find Plushenko would have been much happier losing to Takahashi.

But then again, Plushenko could have kowtowed at Evan's feet, called him the greatest skater of all time, and you lot would still not have been happy. I wasn't aware that Plushenko was the personification of all evil.

14. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

If Plushenko had been humble and not such an asshole after the event he would not be as disliked as what he is now. It has very little to do with how he skated, although that was pretty crappy, especially for his standard. Face it, his jumps were off, and if he doesn't have those all he has is bad hair.

15. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

This. Personification of all evil? Aren't we exaggerating a bit? :lol: I think when a person is such a great athlete we hope he or she will rise to the occasion and show great character to go along with great performance. Athletes don't have to be great people, it's just really fabulous when they are. Alas, it was not to be with Plushy. That doesn't make him evil....just less than he could be. It was disappointing. Maybe he'll learn from the experience. He's young.

let`s talk and (deleted member) like this.
  16. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Yes they are! I think Lysaceks win under the old IJS rules shows that!

Totally!! When I first started reading this board before the Olympics in 2009 there was the exact same level of Plishenko dislike here as there was after the 2010 Olympic free skate! Yeah lots of people here really LOVED Plushenko until the 2010 Olympics! LOL! It has always been venomous toward Plushenko here-but not just here-pretty much everyhwere except Plushenko fan boards!

17. Holley Calmes

And what does this tell you????? BTW-I don't hate Plushenko at all. Admire his skating of the past, think he's way past his prime, and don't care for his looks, personality or behavior. But I certainly don't hate him. I hope he has a nice life.

18. let`s talk

let`s talk Banned Member

...he is quite an angel comparing to me or you. :D

Lovely to see how an Evan/quad/Casey thread ended up with being a Plush thread!

But not sirprising at all.:plush:

19. Mafke

Mafke New Member

No, they're judged on the elements they actually do and how well they do them. The points are then added up. There are some requirements but a quad is not one of them.

If you feel so strongly about it perhaps you should lobby the ISU to make quads mandatory elements at ISU comeptitions.

I've never been a Plushenko fan but I'll be the first to admit that had he skated closer to his potential he would (and should) have won. He needed to do about 80-85 % of what would be the best he could do at that point in his career to win and he did about 70-75 %.
    Lysacek did about 95% of what he could do.

95% of Lysacek just beats 75% of Plushenko. Since the quad (as much as you love it) isn't a required element there's no penalty for not doing it. Sorreeee.

And I though Plushenko's behavior and comments just after the competition were pretty bad. Taking the top step (even for a moment) and then talking a lot of smack about the man who beat him (and the judges!) set a new record of personal arrogance for him.

If he ever does skate again in an ISU competition I wouldn't be surprised if the judges aren't nearly so generous with him.

20. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Then where on the planned program sheets is the section for "beliefs on the jumping part of the program having a quad"?

21. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Why didn't Tim Goebel win a gold medal in SLC? He got robbed! :drama:

22. falling_dance

falling_dance D. Murakami's Newest Fan

I know. Goebel managed twice as many clean quads as Plushenko over two phases of competition! :saint:

Angela-Fan and (deleted member) like this.
  23. SwingDancer

SwingDancer Active Member

I totally agree he out jumped both Yagudin and Plushenko, he was robbed of the world title in 2003 and abandoned by USFSA, shortly there after. He fell out of favor with the USFSA, infavor of non-quad skaters (I am a fan of Matt Savoie), and then after natioanls 2006, it is like he has been forgotten. Tim never appears in specials, shows, or even mentioned anymore. He was interviewed during Vancouver, and mentioned that the USFSA has not sought him out to teach a clinic or keep him in the loop. He mnetioned that despite working outside of skating in the financial district, that he would like to be more involved in the skating community besides volunteering for skating in Harlem, but has not been given the opportunity. One last thing, he felt that it was a travesty for Mens skating for the two previous world champions and reigining olympic champion to win without quads, it took away from the sports legacy.

I am looking for the article right now.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2011
  24. Holley Calmes

I thought Tim was a nice skater, but he certainly lacked artistry. Both Yagudin and Plushenko outskated him in SLC-I was there. These two were "complete skaters." Tim, alas, was not. I think he is the perfect skater to point to and said "quads aren't enough." That said, I am sorry for the way he seems to have been left out of the skating community. I always thought he seemed a nice young man. His arms always bothered me so much. They were "flippers." He had no clue what to do with them.

However and whatever, I hope he will find a niche and be able to contribute to skating. Wonder what happened?

25. SkateFan66

SkateFan66 Active Member

Here is an article with Tim's comments re: the quad controversy at the Olympics:

http://currentskateofmind.com/2010/02/21/timothy-goebel-responds-to-elvis-stojkos-rant/

26. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

Why would the USFSA abandon him?!

:lol:

27. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

He said this where? Because he didn't say this in the linked article cited by Skatefan66

28. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

He had that Esther Rolle thing with his neck too. He and Rachael Flatt are like the white Florida Evans of figure skating.

Oh, Timmy, how fecking wise you are. :respec: He pointed out the obvious. I wish he had mentioned Evan's smoother artistic presentation vs. Plushy's epileptic fits, however. But hey, I'll take this here...

Southpaw and (deleted member) like this.
  29. Holley Calmes

30. senorita

senorita New Member

Is this some kind of If it hasnt been on internet it doesnt exist?Sorry but get out of forums and watch a competition. There are plenty of fs fans who dont hung around in forums of any kind. I know more about gymnastics than fs and i ve been watching way more years but I dont visit any kind of forums except for a greek blog.

In the eye of the beholder..I would never put these words together in one phrase, but that's just me. Btw Plushenko not skating well, being shaky and all, doesnt suddently make Evan an arteeest or a genius skater, he was better that night fullstop. Havent we talked in Gp this season that sp matters also? His sp was not-that-great for the 90s. If Dai was silver one point behind Lysacek I bet the reaction would be different about flawless Lysacek because they were a tie in sp. The whole reaction afterwards was not weather Lysacek should have won the Lp which he should but since the outcome was close by a point, the sp played its role as well.
    The Vancouver debate is as interesting anymore as the debate I had with my dentist today to extract or not my wisdom tooth. :p But he took it out at the end.

let`s talk and (deleted member) like this.