Evan Lysacek and his "quadlessness".

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Auntie, Feb 16, 2011.

1. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

So I'm imagining all the times you've harped about the quad like it's the holy grail of skating? The impression I have of you, is jumps are all you care about.

I'm curious would you rather see a well skated competition with triples or a splatfest with quads?
  2. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

Notwithstanding the drop in income from US television, the ISU still gets a lot of its money from TV rights to competitions and ticket sales. Therefore, the ISU necessarily has to either pander to what the public wants to see or it has to find a new source of income. So, the ISU can't just blindly encourage the skaters to try the hard moves ... it has to create programs that people will want to watch. If that also allows trying hard moves, very good. But, that does not mean that the ISU has to tolerate (let alone encourage) skaters trying jumps that the skaters know they can't land cleanly because a fall still garnered enough points to make it worthwhile.
  3. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

To continue with attyfan's point--A friend of mine was a casual skating fan--as in, if he saw it on his television he would stop to watch and always watched the Olympics. He preferred men to ladies, and liked pairs.

Recently, he told me he stopped watching shortly after 2006 Oly. Games, because he didn't enjoy it anymore as the men just fell all the time and the pair programs were all the same.

Casual fans keep ratings up--there aren't enough rabid people like all of us here. And a lot of casual fans are not going to enjoy a splatfest.
  4. let`s talk

let`s talk Banned Member

I like quads. I want to see a quad loop, landed in a competition. :kickass:
  5. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Well-Known Member

If "Cleanliness is next to Godliness", is "Quadlessness next to Godlessness"? If so, Paul Wylie is going to be in for a full decade of therapy!
  6. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

You are not imagining but that was not the whole point I was trying to say.

I would prefer a splatfest with quads over an all triple competition. But hopefully the winner would have landed their quads. But even jumping up and revolving four times is a skill even if you fall!

But if a failure is punished too much then you saw skaters just stop trying. I am pretty sure the ISU made the punishment harsher not to discourage quads but to encourage improvement so that the fallers would land them. That is just my theory. I don't think they expected the not even trying!

There are so many jumps to do and spins and steps that a fall on one doesn't bother me! I know people who think fall equals the entire program failed! But not even if the program was all Doubles would eliminate falling! LOL a basketball team can miss tons and tons of shots but there are many opportunities to shoot and missing a basket doesn't disqualify a team.
  7. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

And a baseball player can get a hit 3 out of 10 at bats and be an excellent hitter.

But this is a different sport. Comparing apples to aquariums doesn't help your argument. :rolleyes:
  8. ciocio

ciocio New Member

Look, another classy FSU poster :lol: :

"The fact that a quadless Lysacek beat a be-quaded Plushenko speaks volumes about how vile Plushy's skating was, is and always will be. He's an ugly Russian bastard, arrogant with a warped sense of entitlement. That spastic footwork, shallow sit spins and hideous drag queen costumes he wears should not, in this world, put ANYONE on a podium.

CaseyoEdwards is a psycho poster from FSUniverse.net. This creature must be stopped."
  9. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

This post by caseyedwards is unbelievable.
    I don't like Evan's skating, but I'm really happy that he won it over Plushenko.
    And honestly, I think Plushenko should not have been on the podium : Stephane and Daisuke are so much better !

LOL, this one is not that slim, it's more of a cigarette suits (I don't know if it's called like that in english).
    Anyway, I guess it depends, but I personnally don't feel good in a slim trousers. It's better when there's strecht in it. ;)
  10. caseyedwards

The LOL couldn't have been clearer that it was meant as a joke!
  11. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

Ironically enough, even the American commentators laughed at that. Perhaps it was juvenile, yes. Unsportsmanlike? Hardly. Give him a break. Perhaps it was also his own way of expressing his disappointment in himself.

You'll have to wait for Plushenko's comeback next season ;)

How is it we are still going on about this a year later? :/
  12. caseyedwards

When do narrow victories stop being discussed? You can't hit a skating forum where there isn't a recent discussion of Lipinski Vs. Kwan! LOL!
  13. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

Trust me, we'll still be discussing it in 10 years.
  14. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

Yes-I remember. The commentators laughter nervously and like "WTF?" You are entitled to think what you like about it. I think it was childish, tasteless and unsportsmanlike, and your fandom of Plushy doesn't change my mind in the least. His own way of EXPRESSING HIMSELF??? Oh please! How old is he now? Let me express myself by saying that I think this act was the pathetic knee-jerk reaction of a poor loser. The only person winding up looking the fool was Plushenko.
  15. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

Or Menshov in his next competition, since there was video of him doing a very nice one in practice over the summer.
  16. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

Eys, 100% agree.
  17. mysticchic

mysticchic Well-Known Member

Caseyedwards meet Let's Talk....you two have a lot in comon:yikes::scream:
    Ozzisk8tr and (deleted member) like this.
  18. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Plushenko is an experienced competitior on the international scene and an adult. Why should he be given a break for his juvenile and/or unsportmanlike conduct at the Vancouver podium?

He's an adult and should have been able to think up of a better way and more introspective way to express disappointment in himself.
  19. Andrushka

Andrushka New Member

Quite frankly.Me too.
  20. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

I cannot believe there are people still hungry for debates on something that occurred one year ago, to the exact day!
  21. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Kevin Reynolds' is looking pretty good in practice. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApzeFtzKhwc
    Should be just a matter of time.
  22. let`s talk

let`s talk Banned Member

Actually, I think OP is the one who surely met CaseyEd. Judging by the opening post here the whole thread was for Casey, not for Evan or a quad. :2faced:
    Probably because folks are hungry for quads. FS is a sport afterall.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fx3GnlX4TlY
  23. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

And Johnny dyed them pink and platinum.
  24. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Seriously, the real crime wasn't that Plushenko didn't get gold, it's that Daisuke didn't get silver instead of him. And one would think since casey thinks a splatfest with great everything else is so wonderful, they'd totally agree with that--Daisuke rotated his quad, even if he faceplanted, and everything else about his skating including all his other jumps was superior to Plush. If he'd landed that quad he would have been the clear winner. Evan had the best clean program of the night, Daisuke had the next-best overall and would have had the best without the fall. Plushenko was a hot mess in the LP and was given a MASSIVE holding up and should have been happy he wasn't placed lower than he was.

Give it a rest, caseyedwards. Even the fashion-blog readers think you're nuts.
  25. Zokko!

Zokko! Comansnala?

Actually I don't care for quads that much, if it would have been the only "less" in L.'s skating efforts. Unfortunately the poor amateur is full of "less'". Sorry, this result will always be a disgrace to me. Daisuke Takahashi is the true Olympic Champion! :swoon:
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2011
  26. caseyedwards

If Takahashi did land that quad he would have been more deserving than Plushenko for gold. I still think he would have been a great silver medalist if Plushenko won gold. Both Takahashi and Plushenko both believed that the jumping portion of a program should have a quad. Takahashi said he would not have been comfortable going to the Olympics and not doing a quad. Because if Takahashi landed that quad and then did everything else he did that night even with Plushenkos two quad triples - Takahashi really did have everything! He would have been the has it all - all around great skater. Lysacek is just not that at all. His jump ceiling is at triples-that is not moidern.
  27. ciocio

ciocio New Member

Vancouver definitely are my favourite Olympics!:watch::fan::biggrinbo
  28. ciocio

ciocio New Member

sorry, double post
  29. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Since the first (unratified) quads were first seen in competition only around the early 1980s, I wouldn't call quads exactly "moidern" either.
  30. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

if
    if
    if
    if
    if
    if
    if
    if

:lol: this is so comical!
  31. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

Lysacek can wear the hell out a good suit, got to agree. :kickass:

Whoa, that's a gross pseud -- "Pinkcheese"? (poster responding to the "mysterious" caseyoedwards at that link)
  32. Mafke

Mafke New Member

Fortunately skaters are not judged on their beliefs about program composition.
  33. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

I think you'd all find Plushenko would have been much happier losing to Takahashi.

But then again, Plushenko could have kowtowed at Evan's feet, called him the greatest skater of all time, and you lot would still not have been happy. I wasn't aware that Plushenko was the personification of all evil.
  34. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

If Plushenko had been humble and not such an asshole after the event he would not be as disliked as what he is now. It has very little to do with how he skated, although that was pretty crappy, especially for his standard. Face it, his jumps were off, and if he doesn't have those all he has is bad hair.
  35. Holley Calmes

This. Personification of all evil? Aren't we exaggerating a bit? :lol: I think when a person is such a great athlete we hope he or she will rise to the occasion and show great character to go along with great performance. Athletes don't have to be great people, it's just really fabulous when they are. Alas, it was not to be with Plushy. That doesn't make him evil....just less than he could be. It was disappointing. Maybe he'll learn from the experience. He's young.
    let`s talk and (deleted member) like this.
  36. caseyedwards

Yes they are! I think Lysaceks win under the old IJS rules shows that!

Totally!! When I first started reading this board before the Olympics in 2009 there was the exact same level of Plishenko dislike here as there was after the 2010 Olympic free skate! Yeah lots of people here really LOVED Plushenko until the 2010 Olympics! LOL! It has always been venomous toward Plushenko here-but not just here-pretty much everyhwere except Plushenko fan boards!
  37. Holley Calmes

And what does this tell you????? BTW-I don't hate Plushenko at all. Admire his skating of the past, think he's way past his prime, and don't care for his looks, personality or behavior. But I certainly don't hate him. I hope he has a nice life.
  38. let`s talk

let`s talk Banned Member

...he is quite an angel comparing to me or you. :D

Lovely to see how an Evan/quad/Casey thread ended up with being a Plush thread!

But not sirprising at all.:plush:
  39. Mafke

Mafke New Member

No, they're judged on the elements they actually do and how well they do them. The points are then added up. There are some requirements but a quad is not one of them.

If you feel so strongly about it perhaps you should lobby the ISU to make quads mandatory elements at ISU comeptitions.

I've never been a Plushenko fan but I'll be the first to admit that had he skated closer to his potential he would (and should) have won. He needed to do about 80-85 % of what would be the best he could do at that point in his career to win and he did about 70-75 %.
    Lysacek did about 95% of what he could do.

95% of Lysacek just beats 75% of Plushenko. Since the quad (as much as you love it) isn't a required element there's no penalty for not doing it. Sorreeee.

And I though Plushenko's behavior and comments just after the competition were pretty bad. Taking the top step (even for a moment) and then talking a lot of smack about the man who beat him (and the judges!) set a new record of personal arrogance for him.

If he ever does skate again in an ISU competition I wouldn't be surprised if the judges aren't nearly so generous with him.
  40. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Then where on the planned program sheets is the section for "beliefs on the jumping part of the program having a quad"?