Evan Lysacek and his "quadlessness".

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Auntie, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Auntie

Auntie New Member

2. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I can't believe this Friday will mark the one year anniversary of Evan's OGM. It seems like it was only 2-3 months ago, LOL.

Are slim suits ever comfortable for a guy to wear? It looks good on a lean and especially tall guy like Evan, but I can't it imagine it's comfortable to sit down in or to move about.

3. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

:eek:
    :lol:

S/he REALLY needs to get over it.

4. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

Geeze, I'm sure that twat is of NO relation to the quad-loving Caseyedwards of FSU....oh, wait.... :shuffle:

5. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

I'm a little dense, so just want to be sure:

You are all referring to a recognizable FSU poster in the comments section of this article, right?

6. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

"Evan Contemplates Return to Competition at Vera Wang"?? Whoever wrote the headline on this story needs to go back to journalism school, or basic grammar classes. Unless Vera Wang has installed an ice rink in her studio and plans to host skating competitions on it.

7. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

LOL I was looking to see if there were one year anniversary articles and found that one and commented. I didn't see why not even if the fashion was the focus!

let`s talk and (deleted member) like this.
  8. tuffcaco

tuffcaco Well-Known Member

Why am I not surprised? :scream:

Seriously, every time I see this kind of thing, it only makes me happier to realize that Evan Lysacek is the reigning Olympic champion! :kickass:

Rex, HisWeirness, CynicElle and 3 others like this.
  9. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Dude. Running around the internet universe looking for any articles to comment on re Evan isn't um, a little obsessive? :shuffle:

10. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

Er, I still don't think Evan should have won, but I'm not about to call his skating as a whole "worthless".

It's been a year. Even Plushenko himself is over it (well, as over it as he can get. The guy still hates talking about Salt Lake City) and wants to look to the future. I suggest we fans as a whole should do the same.

This is figure skating. There will ALWAYS be contentious results and skaters who were robbed, and the judges sometimes make wrong calls. I can think of several calls the judges have made that were much worse than the Vancouver result - 2002 Europeans for a start. At the end of the day, the ISU have changed the rules, and yes, that means you need to be getting a quad asap if you're a man and want to win. (PCS, however...well that's another story.)

And I mean, think about it. At least Evan skated clean. How would you feel as Nobunari Oda, watching Chan get a gold medal in spite of four falls? :rolleyes:

11. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

People talk like Evan never had a quad. He did but didn't include it after his injuries. He had a fairly decent one the season before (or maybe the one before that).

12. SkateFan66

SkateFan66 Active Member

You are correct. Lysacek landed quads in competitions in 2007, 2008, and 2009. Lysacek landed a quad toe in the long program at the 2009 Four Continents Championship. Shortly before the 2009 World Championships Lysacek was diagnosed with a stress fracture in his left foot. Therefore, Lysacek did not attempt a quad at the 2009 WC.

As a general rule, skaters do not attempt jumps in competition that they do not get to train on a consitent basis. Lysacek was unable to train the quad on a consitent basis because of reoccurring pain in his left foot. When faced with a choice of training the quad and risking the chance of having another stress fracture that could take him out of the Olympics, or not train the quad and be healthy to compete in the Olympics, Lysacek chose the latter.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  13. SkateFan66

SkateFan66 Active Member

By the way, I never saw your reply to Rosalyn's question; therefore, I will ask it again: Casey, how's your quad?

14. caseyedwards

There is the myth and the truth and Lysacek did try a quad at 2010 US nationals and there was no comment on the injury until he fell and then the nonsense began about injury again. The injury was the excuse for 2009 and they are trying to make it for the Olympics. Carroll made the public statement and so did lysacek.

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100117&content_id=7930816&vkey=ice_news

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/18/sports/olympics/18skate.html?_r=1&scp=4&sq=lysacek&st=nyt

There is just a lot of lies going around to justify him going quadless and it's just unbelievable. "Oh he didn't do a quad because of injury so that makes it all fine to have quadless Olympic champions" and who cares if anyone did a quad in the future.

12 years of Olympic history going backwards. Remains terrible for the sport the ISU tried to remedy the not even trying quads anymore trend.

15. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

Casey O. Edwards, you need to get a life. It's been a year. Plushenko did not deserve to win in Vancouver with his transition-less programs and shakily landed triples.

Evan Lysacek is the 2010 Olympic champion.

MoveOn.org

skipaway, flutzilla1, ChelleC and 3 others like this.
  16. caseyedwards

Please- like the ISU didn't change a lot of the rules because of his win? I don't know how you can even discuss skating now without recognizing the influence of the anti-Lysacek revisions.

17. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

^^^Evan is an Olympic STAH! A stah like no othah....his FS was like a porterhouse steak, perfectly cooked, with no onion rings. Plushy's was chopped sirloin with preformed dollar store onion rings :D.

:rofl: of COURSE NOT!!

Kasey and (deleted member) like this.
  18. Indra486

Indra486 Well-Known Member

Team Daisuke.

(Beating the dead horse will not change the fact that Evan is a champion.)

19. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I am starting to get concerned for Plushy, actually. :EVILLE:

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  20. Indra486

Indra486 Well-Known Member

21. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

:lol: But Plushy has already killed the rabbits and put them on his costumes...

22. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

Same here.

Now now Rexy....be nice.

The truth is, Plushy maybe killed the bunnies, but he put them on WEIR'S costumes! ;)

23. tuffcaco

tuffcaco Well-Known Member

I think you do that for the rest of us. In fact, I think you really go out of your way to talk about Evan Lysacek.... maybe it's not Plushy we should be concerned about...

24. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

IIRC, quads were once worth more, but after the 2006 splatfest, when commentators were blathering about how skaters were "smart" for trying quads they couldn't land because they still got a lot of points, the ISU changed the rules. Mistakes were punished much more harshly ... and the quad dropped in importance. After several well-skated events, including 2010, the quad was increased in importance. It seems to me, therefore, that the value of the quad can be easily changed. How can you be certain it won't be reduced again in four years, especially if the next Olys is another Torino-style splatfest?

25. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

How much are the walk off tickets? I say Evan is the Chazz, I mean the Hansel and Johnny is ... the one that can't turn left :D

26. Mafke

Mafke New Member

I seem to have missed this caseyedwards person (born under a lucky star I am) but now that I've read a few comments and I've got just one thing I want to say:

I'm thrilled that Lysacek won OGM without a quad just cause it ticks caseyedwards off so much.

That is all.

27. caseyedwards

I think if a competition is not at risk of being a splatfest that what is really the point? You want the skaters to try the hard moves and if a splatfest is a result so be it. Chan was trying to advance his skating by adding a quad and he fell a lot. If he landed a quad he might fall on a 3A but other times he would fall on the quad. But you can the great moments like at Canadian nationals where Chan landed everything and got one of the best performance ever at Canadian nationals a lot of people said. I think Kurt Browning said that. Like maybe Chan would have added the quads anyway but with the risk no longer being zero if you failed and ured it wasn't so risky.

I think the changes were about "hey if we don't reward any risk than a technical progression point will vanish!" I hope they don't go back because now they know what happens if they did. Vanishing quad - vanishing technical progression.

28. Mafke

Mafke New Member

Did I mention "Yay! hooray! Lysacek won OGM with no quad.

Seriously, quads are completely overrated. I'd much rather watch a RBO paragraph bracket (I'm completely serious about that).

29. caseyedwards

Well I liked scratch spins the most but COP basically killed them!

30. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

Evan has a really good scratch spin :p

Ant