Eurovision 2014 in Beautiful Copenhagen

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by allezfred, Nov 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roxanne

Roxanne Member

I heard she will be singing in English. I hope San Marino doesn't stop participating after they don't qualify this year.

I hate when people say that songs are "too good" for Eurovision but I kind of feel like Armenia's song is. I'm really not sure how it's going to do. I'd love to see Armenia win because Azerbaijan will be so mad :D

So it's just Azerbaijan, Russia, Belgium, Portugal, Moldova, Norway and Austria left.

Azerbaijan are always potential winners no matter what they send.

Norway had better send Silent Storm or High Hopes instead of Heal.

Nothing good will come from Belgium, Portugal or Moldova.

I don't know what to expect from Russia and Austria. Hopefully they will have tolerable songs.

2. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I don't think San Marino will stop participating. They perceived last year as a huge success and a victory because of all the positive attention that Monetta's song and performance garnered and they saw that as a good way to promote their country.

If Aram Mp3 performs that song well and has a well thought through simple but effective presentation (just him standing there with an elegant light and shadow play would do), it should definitely place top 5 IMO.

Azerbaijan are always potential winners partly because of buying votes :p but largely because they spare no expense at getting the best song writers and developing a really effective stage direction for their performances. Dilara Kazimova seems to have a great personality and stage presence and an interesting voice. I hope she gets a decent song.

Norway could win the whole thing with "Silent Storm." I find it hard to imagine anything else winning but then Carl Espen struggled with the nerves a little in the semi-final and he is totally inexperienced. I hope he doesn't crumble under pressure.

Portuguese and Moldavian songs are indeed all terrible. I guess SIL might win in Belgium but her song is a snoozefest.

Apparently the Tolmasheva sisters (winners of Junior Eurovision) are supposed to represent Russia and whatever Conchita Wurst sings it will be :cheer:. :D

Some more 'news:'

Belarus did not change the song and will be entering the piece of shit we've already heard in a totally unchanged form. Belarus - Theo "Cheesecake". He's still mentioning 'Google Maps' and that is against the Eurovision rules (Monetta had that problem with the Facebook song) so he will probably have to edit it out.

Italy had to shorten its song to make it compatible with the rules but there's no other apparent changes in the new mix. Italy - Emma Marrone "La Mia Città". I still really like this. Her raspy tone of voice suits the music well and it packs quite a punch. A question mark over her live singing ability though, given her performance in the German final.

Greece - Freaky Fortune feat. Risky Kidd "Rise up"

The new mix of "Dancing in the Rain" is an improvement in terms of the song getting a narrative with the slow build up and a stronger beat in the background which prevents it from being a total snoozefest. I still think that she deserves much better material than this bland crap but I think that they have done a good job of salvaging this. Spain - Ruth Lorenzo "Dancing in the Rain". Pretty video as well.

The Belgian video is just an upload of his winning performance. I guess they have no budget. :p Belgium - sim "Cliché Love Song". The only thing that is new is him being apparently known as 'sim' now. As far as I am concerned, this piece of crap joins the 'most annoying Eurovision songs ever' playlist.

Pollapönk have worked with the amazing John Grant on their song (I think her wrote or collaborated on the English lyrics). Last time I heard, they were supposed to sing partly in English and partly in Icelandic but the official video is fully in English. A nice message and I like the joyful abandon of it but I will be very surprised if this makes the final. Iceland - Pollapönk "Enga fordóma".

The official Sanmarinese video is indeed in English. I think it would have worked best if she sang mostly in English but with some Italian parts for 'flavour.' San Marino - Valentina Monetta "Maybe (Forse)"

The song that she has written herself for her new album actually sounds much better than this dated, cheesy Ralph Siegel schlager crap. Valentina Monetta "L'amore verrà". Apparently she said in an interview that it's her last time at Eurovision. ;(

Somebody in Aram Mp3's team really messed up and sent a rough video version which is complete but has some white lines over it.
    ETA: The correct version is up now: Armenia - Aram MP3 "Not Alone"

Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  3. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

The Norwegian final is on now: http://www.nrk.no/mgp/

El Cuero are the first two perform and whilst it's definitely still dad rock, they gave a fantastic live performance.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

MGP Final was great. I have to agree with shah after all. The quality has been generally very high and so was the level of the performances.

I really worry about Carl Espen's chances of winning now. He was really out of tune. :(

If he does win, he better get a lot of vocal training in the next two months.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

YES! Carl Espen wins and Linnea Dale places 2nd. Perfect results!

He sung much better the second time and even better the third so I have hope.

Moldova chose this horrific mess: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4OYaV2ZtrA :scream:

Time for Portugal now and their Festival de Cancao stuck in a 1950s time warp. :p

6. shah

shah Shhh...

1960s, to be precise. The finalists have just paid tribute to Antonio Calvario (ESC 1964) and Simone de Oliveira (ESC 1965, 1969). The new songs do not differ much from those from the 60s :p.
    I confirm - Rui Andrade is hot :D.

7. shah

shah Shhh...

Three superfinalists announced: Caterina Pereira, Suzy and Rui Andrade :)D).

8. shah

shah Shhh...

OMG, there's some kind of a replay of selected songs from the last 9 years and I was subjected to Plush gyrating to Bilan's screeching!:scream:

9. shah

shah Shhh...

And the winner is... Suzy and "Quero ser tua"! A living proof 90s Eurodance is alive and kicking :p. It reminds me of "Lambada" and "Coco Jamboo" and it's equally bad...

As for other songs - yay for Carl Espen, I had goosebumps. But I hope he'll still work on his voice (and nerves). Linnea, otoh :(. Could we send all 9 Norwegian songs to ESC? They're like Russian ladies or Japanese men - too many good entries to leave at home
    Aram MP3 is just great!
    This year Valentina Monetta sings her worst ESC entry, unfortunately :(. She stands no chance to be in the final.
    Moldovan song is rather forgettable, imho (even though Cristina Scarlat is quite expressive on stage).

I keep my fingers crossed for Sil in the Belgian final. Her song is boring as hell, but she reminds me of sweet old times of high school parties and dancing to Sylver's songs :D.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
  10. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Suzy's song indeed reminds me of "Lambada" and is equally cheap and trashy. Plus her live vocals are quite poor. But at least it's fun and will make people smile and sway their hips. So I guess they can make the final with that.

11. Zokko!

Zokko! Comansnala?

OK, I'm gonna out myself pretty early this year: I'm mesmerized by the Armenian entry :swoon: and with a decent live performance it's gonna win! :cheer:

12. SmallFairy

SmallFairy Well-Known Member

I really like Silent Storm, but I really hope we don't win, the whole thing is too expensive and NRK will go bankrupt:p They really struggled last time!

13. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I think the first place might be between "Not Alone" and "Silent Storm." I would really like Carl Espen to win but I will also be happy with Aram MP3. But then you know how it goes. Songs may sound great but then it turns out the live performance is poorly directed and executed, the singer falters live and the song you though was a very strong contender ends up placing poorly. I didn't like the way Espen's performance looked at MGP. I just want them to do something simple with him standing there and a nice play of light and shadow.

We haven't heard the Azerbeijani song yet (it will be premièred at 16:30 UTC). Azimova is a great singer with heaps of personality and charisma and no doubt it will be a strong entry given they spare no expense. And they will surely try to buy votes again. So even before hearing the song, you can safely predict top 5. :D

The Albanian video has been premièred and it looks like a bad joke. Albania - Hersi "One Night's Anger". WTF? It's so unprofessional and amateur-ish it defies belief. If you did it as your coursework for a media course, you'd fail. I feel sad because I think the song is very intriguing and her voice is great. It's one of the stronger entries this year but with a video like this, it will become a laughing stock.

Estonian song has a new arrangement and it's even worse than the original one IMO. Her live performance was great but the song is just so trashy and cheap. :blah: Estonia - Tanja "Amazing".

Malta also has a remastered version. Malta - Firelight "Coming Home". This new arrangement is a very big improvement, IMO. It sounds stronger, it gained a sense of narrative and the production is more intricate. I still think that's it a cheap version of Mumford & Sons but I am impressed by how they managed to salvage it. The video is so cheesy though, it makes me cringe.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Azerbeijan is basically sending exactly the same song again. :yawn:

I feel really disappointed about this because during Boyuk Sehne, Kazimova has shown personality and charisma. So I hoped for something with attitude. But they played it safe again and it looks like instead of having a song tailor-made for the singer, they have ordered it ages ago.

Azerbeijan - Dilara Kazimova "Start a Fire"

So only two songs to go now! The Belgian final is on at 20:00 CET tonight and the Austrian song will be premiered Tuesday morning (they've picked a strange time).

15. Roxanne

Roxanne Member

Three songs to go. We just don't know when we will get Russia's song.

I like Portugal's song. There aren't many upbeat songs in semi 1 so it will stand out. But they really need to work on the vocals.

I'm glad Azerbaijan's song is boring because maybe now they won't win and Armenia will get the most 12s this time :D

I'm so disappointed with the new version of Albania's song. I really can't see it qualifying.

16. poths

poths Well-Known Member

Yay, I love an obvious winner. Armenia reminds me of the first time I heard Serbia's Molitva and Norway's Fairytale

Hope he can sing live

WINBAGS!

17. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Ah, I 'forgot' about Russia. They have to submit the song by 20th March. I really hope that the Russian diaspora will be the only people voting for them this year. BOYCOTT RUSSIA! :mitchell:

I agree that the original version of the Albanian song was better.

Aram MP3 can sing live. I still hope for Carl Espen's victory, though. A song like this comes very rarely, especially at Eurovision out of all places.

18. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

The Belgian Eurosong 2014 final is on now. http://www.eurovision.tv/page/webtv?program=98503 All the songs are more or less terrible.

Axel Hirsoux is still to go but so far Eva Jacobs was by far the best. A cliché empowerment pop/r&b ballad, yes. But at least it's catchy, she performed it quite well and it's a professionally composed and produced song.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Axel Hirsoux. :rofl:

I thought that Udo had a cheesy, overblown song full of pathos but Hirsoux's "Mother" song had one up on it.

It won the European jury vote, all four jury members picked it as their winner and no doubt the public will love that schmaltzy shit as well. :wall:

Ruslana just made a strong political statement before her interval performance asking the world for help.

20. DaiKozOda

DaiKozOda Active Member

I liked Dilara's voice :fan:

Well I had to google a lot this weekend lol Rui Andrade is indeed hot :hat1: Suzy's song is nothing special but at least it isn't one of those overdramatik ballads :p Apparently the guy who wrote the song is quite famous because of songs like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbIcXuf3sVw

21. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

And Axel Hirsoux wins by a massive landslide. :blah:

Between the over-the-top wailing, the overly dramatik music and every single cliché you can think of in the lyrics, it's basically a joke entry. Lowest common denominator much?

I am now really worried this is going to place top 5 or even win in Copenhagen. :wall:

Dilara's voice is great. After watching her Boyuk Sehne performance of "Mercy", I really wanted her to be given a song in that vain, with some sass and attitude. But it looks like Azerbeijan has ordered a song from Stefan Örn ages ago.

22. Roxanne

Roxanne Member

I detest Belgium's entry. Probably my least favorite. I bet it will get a lot of votes from people simply because it's so ridiculous. Ugh.

Azerbaijan's song is growing on me. Her voice is so good.

Two more days until we hear Conchita's song! I'm excited! :D

23. shah

shah Shhh...

Axel Hirsoux and his creepy ballad praising (his) mother :scream:.

Azerbaijani song :yawn:.

Albania - from one of my favourite songs to one of the anti-favourites. The video is really ridiculous (the parachute guy was so random I couldn't stop laughing) and the song shouldn't have been translated into English. You can hardly make out the lyrics... Such a shame!

Waiting for Conchita!

24. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Albania did the same mistake with "Feel the Passion." It sounded fantastic in Albanian and terrible in English and in the end they didn't manage to qualify.

25. Roxanne

Roxanne Member

New version of Tick Tock

The lyrics are still terrible but I have to admit that Ukraine is my guilty pleasure this year. I've been listening to the new version on repeat since it came out. :eek:

Denmark drew #23 today. I'm so upset that a second half spot is wasted on Denmark. I'm really hoping that Germany and UK get the other two second halfs.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  26. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

It's a much more professional production. The original version was just :scream:. But then it lost its 'crazy fun' aspect. And it's still a pretty appalling composition so I think that only the 'solidarity/pity votes' can save it, sorry. :p

All of the songs have been confirmed now. Austria is premièring its track later today and Russia's entry is called "Shine." "Slavic Girls" is now confirmed to be performed in a bilingual English/Polish version and "Moj Svijet" is confirmed to be performed in Montenegrin (good choice!). Macedonian (F.Y.R.O.M.-ian screams a crazy Greek person as they hit me over the head) "To the Sky" will be performed in English (a good decision as well).

Some more videos have been added as well:
    Netherlands - The Common Linnets "Calm After the Storm" - :yawn: (a pretty video though)
    Slovenia - Tinkara Kovač - "Spet / Round And Round" - no video budget :drama:
    Finland - Softengine "Something Better" - why did they upload the actual live version considering he's been ill and his vocals sound pretty awful?
    Switzerland - Sebalter "Hunter of Stars" - this song just confuses me
    Norway - Carl Espen "Silent Storm" - I don't like the video, it just looks cheap :(

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  27. shah

shah Shhh...

Ta-dah, Conchita wants to Rise Like a Phoenix with this Bond-esque song. I know it's very cliched, but I like it. And she looks gorgeous!
    Btw, my favourite comment posted on youtube says: "Valentina Monetta was supposed to sing this next year..." :rofl::rofl::rofl:

28. shah

shah Shhh...

Some more comments:

a) there's a real drama in Portugal at the moment, as people claim the voting was rigged and Suzy's producer bought the votes which should have gone to Catarina Pereira instead. There's even a petition one can sign online, but, most probably, it will change nothing and we'll have to endure this pseudo-Lambada trash in Copenhagen...

b) Ziggy, apparently, there will a "true" video for the Slovenian song...

c) I usually hate country music, but I adore The Common Linnets and hope they'll qualify. The video is simple, but very efficient.

d) the Swiss song is still :scream: for me...

e) so are our "Slavic Girls" :blah:

29. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

I'm holding off on listening to any of the songs until they are all public. Hurry the feck up Russia! :drama:

30. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Conchita is FANTASTIC! Really powerful vocals and that song would indeed be perfect for a James Bond movie. I am worried this might not get out of the semi-finals because of people being ignorant assholes. :(

I actually love indie folk and americana/country but I really dislike the Dutch entry. It's just so flat and lifeless. The video is indeed stunning though. Simple but very stylish and effective.

Lots of new videos uploaded again. Only the Russian video is missing now.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.