Eurovision 2014 in Beautiful Copenhagen

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by allezfred, Nov 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

Yeah ! Right choice meaning that if we finish last, we'll know why :lol:
    Still I can't help myself and I love that stupid song.:cool:

2. shah

shah Shhh...

Twin Twin :cheer:

In the meantime, UK will be represented by Molly Smitten-Downes. Her song is yet to be announced. (I wanted Dame Vera Lynn :EVILLE:)

3. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

4. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

BBC finally listened and got their shit together! I am not sure whether people are going to vote for this but at least it's a sophisticated, contemporary pop song that UK can be proud of.

5. MarieM

Why would anyone want to win considering how much it costs to host that show ? :lol:

6. allezfred

The prestige! :glamor:

7. MarieM

What prestige ? It's way too long to be that interesting anymore. I mean I can't even remember last year's song though I do remember Euphoria and the violin guy from some years ago :)

8. allezfred

The prestige of being the centre of the Euro-void for one whole week of course. :inavoid:

9. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

ATTENTION! Vilija Matačiūnaitė's "Attention" is now up on the Eurovision channel.

BBC definitely got the 'song is written for the live performance' aspect right. Molly's voice sounds fantastic and the backing singers are awesome as well. "Attention" on the other hand is the kind of song that sounds great recorded but just isn't meant to be performed live.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

An update on Russia. A national final was planned but then the deadline for entries was extended. Officially because there were so many submissions. Unofficially because there were so few.

The state broadcaster has now changed its mind and scrapped that idea. Selection will be internal, instead.

11. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Is it wrong that I consider the Skating World Championships the real start of the Eurovision season rather than the end of the skating season? :shuffle:

12. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

^ :respec:

The Common Linnets' song is called "Calm After the Storm" and it will be premièred on 12th March.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Monetta's song will be premièred on 13th March.

Four songs will compete in the Greek National final:
    Freaky Fortune feat. Riskykidd "Rise Up" - This is wonderfully bonkers, everything-but-the-kitchen-sink style. :D 6.00
    Mark Angelo feat. Josephine "Dancing Night" - A mediocre club track. 3.00
    Crystallia "Petalouda Stin Athina" - A big belter. I find it a bit samey though. :yawn: 4.00
    Kostas Martakis "Kanenas Den Me Stamata" - Catchy but if you're Greek, you've heard 14325425 songs like this surely. 5.00

He'll probably place last but I would love Freaky Fortune to win.

Norwegian Contestants

There are 15 songs taking place in Norwegian Melodi Grand Prix. 3 will qualify from each of the 3 Semi-Finals. I couldn't be bother to listen to them all yet but one that packs a really powerful punch is Carl Espen "Silent Storm". Absolutely stunning.

14. Eden

Eden Well-Known Member

Same Heart was chosen today to be Israel's entry to ESC.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I have the "POWER TO THE PEOPLE!" hook in my head all the time now. :D

Not surprising given the overwhelmingly positive response this song has received online. I think it was the best choice but I feel a little sad about "Be Proud."

16. Jenya

Jenya Well-Known Member

17. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Ruslana's YouTube channel is full of political videos and she has been very much involved. Both in the Euromaidan protests and in the Orange Revolution beforehand. Furthermore, her last single was a very "subtle" commentary on the political situation in Ukraine.
    "Це - Ей-форі-Я" (Ukrainian version)
    "This is Euphoria" (English version)

It's a quite appalling track but bless her, her heart is definitely in the right place. :)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  18. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

19. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Recap of Melodi Grand Prix, Semi-Final 1:

1. Hilda & Thea Leora "Best Friend's Boyfriend" (Martin Kleveland, Lisa Desmond Linder, Jesper Jakobsen)

Trashy music, poorly sang. I am very surprised that a track of such poor quality was selected. :slinkaway

2. Mo "Heal" (Laila Samuelsen)

He's so fabulously camp and fierce! :glamor: The song was average and so were his vocals but he had a very good stage presence.

3. Dina Misund "Needs" (music: Dina Misund, lyrics: Frode Bjørgmo Strømvik)

A pretty folk song. She has an interesting voice and it was a decent enough performance although she didn't exactly light the stage up.

4. Linnea Dale "High Hopes" (Linnea Dale, Kim Bergseth)

An interesting electropop song, reminscent of "Can't Get You Out of My Head." It's really catchy and hypnotic in a non-banal way. One of the favourites to win the whole thing, for sure.

5. Timbre & Frikk Heide-Steen feat. Ida Stein "Frozen By Your Love" (Anders Bratterud)

GOOD GRIEF... Lowest common denominator dancefloor trash. And it was sung really woefully by Heide-Steen. This sounded like a drunken karaoke performance. :scream:

Well this was pretty underwhelming. No doubt which three songs I'd like to see qualify, though.

ETA: And the Norwegian public agreed with me. Yay! Misund, Dale and Mo go through to the final. :)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  20. SmallFairy

SmallFairy Well-Known Member

And I think you were spot on Ziggy. Song 2,3 and 4 to the final. And the last song was utter s***, so agree with you:p

21. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

:)

I think the final might be a very close battle between Linnea Dale's "High Hopes" and Carl Espen's "Silent Storm." I hope he can really knock it out of the park live because the song is so beautiful. I'd be happy with either winning though.

22. Jenya

Jenya Well-Known Member

I had the chance to go and hear Ruslana speak today in DC - absolutely incredible and inspirational woman. :cheer2:

23. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Ooooh, I am jealous! Tell us more. :)

24. Jenya

Jenya Well-Known Member

Check the Ukraine thread, I thought it was better to post it there. :)

25. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Thanks, Jenya. :)

A very big day tonight!

At 20:00 CET, the Danish, Slovenian and Swedish National Finals will be taking place. I will, of course, be watching Melodifestivalen and I hope there'll be a way of catching the others on-demand.

At 20:55 CET, the second Norwegian semi-final will be on.

At 22:15 CET, the Portuguese semi-final will take place.

More info and links to live feed on the Eurovision website: http://www.eurovision.tv/page/news?id=a_busy_national_selection_weekend_ahead

The Melodifestivalen final this year is quite disappointing. There are no songs that really jump out and scream 'winner.' Nothing I am particularly invested in.

"Songbird" :)yawn:), "Yes We Can" (really trashy), "Undo" (overwrought) and "Busy Doin' Nothing" (she can't sing) are the songs I would like to see fail. But the latter two seem to be the favourites to win. Ace Wilder's song has been selling really well, surprisingly enough. Btw, I cannot believe she is 31!!! This is an even more hilarious case of "teenaging" somebody that Carly Rae Jepsen. :D

Out of the rest, there are some songs that are fun and decent enough but nothing that would really move me. "Natural" and "Blame It on the Disco" are fun and appropriate for Eurovision but they are also average euro pop songs that have been done million of times before.

I think I'd be most happy with "Efter Solsken" winning because it's different and because AFFIRMATIVE ACTION. :p

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  26. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

27. wustfan

wustfan Member

I want Alcazar to win! They have everything we love about Eurovision: catchy song, tacky costumes, fire, wind in hair...

28. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

And a big disco ball!

I wouldn't mind that either. Their performance was really great as well. They really gave it all on the PE. :)

29. wustfan

wustfan Member

The best until now, I think.
    I hope it's either them or Linus.

30. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Melodifestivalen Final

1. Anton Ewald "Natural" (John Lundvik)

Absolutely abysmal vocals, especially at the start. Bizarre choreography, which he did himself just like last year. It's an upbeat fun dance track but it's very generic and there wasn't anything special about the performance.

2. Ellen Benediktson "Songbird" (Sharon Vaughn, Johan Fransson, Tim Larsson, Tobias Lundgren)

She can sing pretty well and the performance was simple but very effective, reflecting the character of the music well (Sotnikova, take note! :p). That song is just so dull though! GFB much?

The high notes at the end were quite painful though.

3. Alcazar "Blame It on the Disco" (Fredrik Kempe, David Kreuger, Hamid "K-One" Pirouzpanah)

Ok so the song does sound exactly like all their other singles but they gave a really smashing performance and THAT'S how you do an entrance. :cheer:

4. Oscar Zia "Yes We Can" (Fredrik Kempe, David Kreuger, Hamed "K-One" Pirouzpanah)

Even for Kempe's standard, this track is just so trashy. Fantastic performance direction though. Great idea with the TV screens. On the other hand, very shaky vocals.

5. Linus Svenning "Bröder" (Brothers) (Fredrik Kempe)

BRO-pop. He seemed tense and his vocals were nowhere near as good as during the Heat and Andra Chansen.

6. Helena Paparizou "Survivor" (Bobby Ljunggren, Henrik Wikström, Karl-Ola Kjellholm, Sharon Vaughn)

She has changed her awful granny outfit. Good. Although the new one isn't exactly a big improvement. :shuffle:

She has ramped up her performance a bit. I had the oomph it was lacking in the first two stages. Vocally, it was a little bit off in places but mostly solid. Job pretty well done.

7. YOHIO "To the End" (Andreas Johnson, Johan Lyander, Peter Kvint, Yohio)

It's a big epic song. Much better than what he had last year, IMO. But his vocals really aren't good. It seemed like a constant struggle.

8. Sanna Nielsen "Undo" (Fredrik Kempe, David Kreuger, Hamed "K-One" Pirouzpanah)

'Uuuuuuundo my sad.' Illiterate much? :rolleyes: It was a really powerful and confident performance though. Really solid vocally. I will not be surprised if this gave her the win.

9. Panetoz "Efter solsken" (After sunshine) (Johan Hirvi, Mats Lie Skåre, Nebeyu Baheru, Njol Badjie, Pa Modou Badjie)

Oh dear. I love the song and their energy but this performance was a total mess. Vocals really off in places, no control, it just looked like they were messing around drunk.

10. Ace Wilder "Busy Doin' Nothin'" (Ace Wilder, Joy Deb, Linnéa Deb)

How does somebody with such a total lack of singing ability make it that far? She sang this even worse than last time. :scream:

It is a very catchy song but I am not a fan of the big contrast between the lazy verses and the crazy dubstep breakdown chorus.

If this wins, I will be in a million depressions. :drama:

My vote:
    12 Alcazar
    10 Helena Paparizou
    8 Sanna Nielsen
    7 YOHIO
    6 Ellen Benediktson
    5 Linus Svenning
    4 Panetoz
    3 Anton Ewald
    2 Ace Wilder
    1 Oscar Zia