Eurovision 2014 in Beautiful Copenhagen

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by allezfred, Nov 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Melodifestivalen - Deltävling 4: Örnsköldsvik

This was the weakest Melodifestivalen Heat I can ever remember and so is this year's competition overall so far. What a sad mess yet again. :(

It was the first time I couldn't even care less about who qualifies and who doesn't (other than Linda Bengtzing who really made me smile).

Results:

Through to the Final:

1/2. Alcazar "Blame It on the Disco" (Fredrik Kempe, David Kreuger, Hamid "K-One" Pirouzpanah)

I am happy for them but this is probably the worst Alcazar single ever. Kempe really isn't having a very creative year. +3 GOE for emerging out of a huge disco ball but the rest of the performance was just them standing there. :yawn:

1/2. Anton Ewald "Natural" (John Lundvik)

It was a pretty fun dance track I guess but I much preferred "Begging," he placed 4th with in the final last year. It just fell flat to me. The staging was crap, his choreography was crap and his vocals sounded abysmal. I mean we all knew he couldn't sing but I guess last year the backing vocals managed to drown his voice out. This year he actually tried to take centre stage singing and it was quite painful (especially during the second performance after his win was announced).

Through to Andra Chansen:

3/4. Ammotrack "Raise Your Hands" (Jari Kujansuu, Thomas Johansson, Calle Kindbom, Mikael de Bruin)

Pretty standard hard rock song. The name of the band alone makes me go for a bathroom break.

3/4. Ellinore Holmer "En himmelsk sång" (A heavenly song) (Ellinore Holmer, Vanna Rosenberg, Åsa Schmalenbach, Josefina Sanner, Henrik Wikström, Amir Aly)

A singing child wailing a snoozy ballad. Please kill me.

Off home:

5. Linda Bengtzing "Ta mig" (Take me) (Nicke Borg, Jojo Borg Larsson)

This was fabulous. A schlager with contemporary production. Bonus points for her gold hot pants. I am very sad about this not going through to Andra Chansen at least. :(

6. I.D.A "Fight Me If You Dare" (Albin Nicklasson, Nicklas Laine, Louise Frick Sveen)

Avril Lavigne - band version. It was catchy enough I guess but a very predictable.

7. Josef Johansson "Hela natten" (All night) (Peter Boström, Thomas G:son, Josef Johansson, Peo Thyrén)

Awww what a cute twink. This was actually pretty sweet but I guess it was a little too bland and didn't stand out enough.

8. Janet Leon "Hollow" (Karl-Ola Kjellholm, Jimmy Jansson, Louise Winter)

I think she should have gone through to the final with "Hearstrings" last year. It was a real banger and she performed it brilliantly. This, however, was pretty awful. A dull power ballad and her vocals sounded weird.

2. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

The Spanish final is on now. The level of the live performances was actually very high. Brequette has the best song, IMO but Lorenzo's live vocals were just so powerful. Either result will be ok with me (especially now that Lorenzo topped the iTunes chart which will kickstart her career nicely)

Tijana Dapčević presented her song "Tamu Kaj Sto Pripagam" tonight. She is going to perform it in Macedonian at Eurovision but there will also be an English promotional version "To the Sky." She posted it on her official account tonight and I think that it's very catchy. I really hope it qualifies to the final!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grZ7vPQ_y8M

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  3. CatherineC

CatherineC Member

'Cake to Bake' just won the Latvian Eurovision.

4. sweetsparky

sweetsparky Well-Known Member

I thought the Spanish Eurovision song selection Gala was broadcasted tomorrow not tonight :eek: :wall:

5. sweetsparky

The jury unanimously has given Brequette the first place, now is the phone voting results.

6. sweetsparky

And the phone voting gives the victory to Ruth Lorenzo, I haven´t seen the performances, so I can´t give my opinion, but it seems this could be controversial :watch:

ETA: Lord, Ruth is screaming like there is no future :yikes: I hope it´s the emotion and the first performance was more controlled.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Macedonian "To the Sky" is my favourite entry so far. It's very catchy, very radio-friendly and regardless of the result, it should be a big hit for her I imagine. She is supposed to sing the Macedonian version "Tamu kaj što pripagjam" at Eurovision but interestingly she said in an interview that she feels more comfortable singing the English version. So who knows maybe she will change her mind.

András Kallay Saunders won the Hungarian A'dal final with "Running". He can sing all right and he's beautiful but I am a bit :lol: about the mix of ballad verses and crazy breakdown choruses.

It couldn't have been any closer between Brequette and Ruth Lorenzo! It was a tie and Lorenzo won thanks to coming first in the televote. I think Brequette had a better song but then the new arrangement of Lorenzo's song was a big improvement and I just love her personality and how big her voice is. I hope she can have a decent career in the music industry, she deserves it. Here is her performance: "Dancing in the Rain". Sparky is right, though, that she lacked control and it was way too screamy.

And here's the Latvian entry: Aarzemnieki "Cake to Bake". :rofl:

:rofl: Well, that probably won't get out of the semi-final.

Poor Saule Riet. :(

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  8. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

I'm not going to listen till all the songs are chosen, but "Cake to Bake" is the best song title ever! :rofl:

9. shah

shah Well-Known Member

Sorry, but the level of songs is so crap that I'm really speechless. And even if there appears something more decent, the public doesn't choose it.

Spain - "Dancing in the Rain" is awful. Brequette should have won.

Latvia - it seems they want to remain in a semi-final one more year in a row. The only good thing about "Cake to Bake" is the title. I listened to the other two songs in the Latvian superfinal - they weren't exciting either, but were at least better than this baking peculiarity...

Hungary - ooooh, a hottie with a good song. Finally! :D

Sweden - why oh why is the the level of Melodifestival 2014 so low? I'm also cheering for Alcazar but "Blame It on a Disco" is such a rehash of "Stay the Night"! The less is said about other songs, the better (well, maybe except for Josef Johansson). At the moment I want Sanna to win. Or Ace Wilder :p.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I think that Sanna has it in the bag. I will be surprised if she doesn't win the Melodifestivalen final. The song is just so emosh and she sings it very well. I hate it personally but I think it should easily place top 10 (or even top 5) in the final.

I agree Brequette had a far better song. I just love Lorenzo but with that song, she'll probably finish 18th or so.

I think that the best Latvian finalist was "Saule Riet". A folk song with people wearing national costumes and then the beat kicks in and then a big breakdown with everybody taking their glowsticks out. :cheer: Very Avicii and exactly the kind of song Eurovision is made for.

Apparently Buranovskiye Babushki are pitching to become the Russian entry again with the song Ветерок (Breeze). :scream: Top comment: 'Awful, Haven't you learnt this is not a circus!?' Isn't it?

Estonian selections "Eesti Laul" have now become a massive event and after the success of Winny Puhh last year, there is a number of leftfield and hipster songs taking part this year. My favourite is VÖÖRAD "Maailm on hull". Both the songs and the performance with freaky clowns are 7.25 at least.

My favourite part about Eurovision is the national selections and all the crazy, ridiculous and occasionally brilliant song entered there. :hat1:

And on this subject, I found this really cool blog: Eurovision Apocalypse. I recommend it. :)

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  11. sweetsparky

Well, after watching the performances, I understand the result. Brequette had the best song, but her performance wasn´t very convincing, not so much for the voice but the presentation (she looked kind of nervous, was looking to the floor a lot of times). Ruth Lorenzo had a better presentation (a hundred times better that the second performance after winning, I insist that was really screamy :yikes: )

I would have gone anyway with Brequette, cause I liked more the song, she is a good singer and those mistakes could have been fixed. I´m sorry Ruth Lorenzo chose that song cause she´s a good singer and performer, with a lot of strength, but that song needs a lot of work and some good stage presentation and RTVE isn´t going to help.

And if you though the Ladies Final controversial was ugly, the controversial about the Spanish song selection is even uglier thanks to the most vocal Eurofans :rolleyes:. RTVE simply closed the commentaries to the final yesterday in their net.

Eurovision Apocalypse is an amazing title for a blog :lol: Thanks Ziggy

Like Allezfred I will wait to watch all the contenders’ videos together :cool:

12. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

The comments on eurovision.tv under the 'Ruth won' news item are crazy as well. People really losing it.

And I agree. Brequette had a better song but her PE was 1.25. She didn't seem comfortable and didn't project to the audience. Lorenzo has a very bubbly personality and a fantastic stage presence.

13. Roxanne

Roxanne New Member

I love this version of Kedvesem http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZWPoEt2wPI

Now for my opinions on the new songs :)

Hungary: I like it. The best choice of the songs in Hungary's final. I'm already tired of it though because I listened to it way too many times.
    Latvia: I love it! It's cute and fun. If it wasn't for the silly lyrics, I think it actually would have a chance of qualifying for the final since cute songs with guitars usually do.
    Spain: I was rooting for Brequette to win but her live performance wasn't great. I didn't like Dancing in the Rain at first but it's grown on me a lot. I just wish Ruth's singing wasn't so shouty.
    Macedonia: I think it's kind of dull but there aren't any other songs like it so far this year so maybe Macedonia can do well if she uses the English version.

I heard that Poland is going to go with Donatan & Cleo after all. Please tell me this isn't true.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Donatan has denied the rumours but they still haven't quieted down. The English version of "Slavic Girls" is up and it's abysmal. The English text is awful and just doesn't work. It looks like a hasty hack job.

Here is the Macedonian song in the original version: "Tamu kaj sto pripagjam". I actually prefer the English version. It looks like she's still not 100% decided as she's been saying different things in different interviews although recently she's been hinting more at picking the English version.

Lithuania has chosen the song and will be choosing the singer soon. The jury has chosen "Take a Look at Me Now," the public picked "Attention" and that's the song that won although it was very close. "It's All About a Boy" came dead last. Interestingly, the winning song was written by Viktoras Vaupšas and Vilija Matačiūnaitė and the latter is one of the three singers left standing in the competition. So I imagine she is going to be able to connect the song the best. I think that it is pretty decent and with a big production, it could really make an impact: "Attention".

15. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

The Polish entry has just been confirmed and it is Donatan & Cleo. :p

They are still considering whether to sing in English, Polish or both.

16. Roxanne

Roxanne New Member

:wall:

Well, at least it will stand out? :wideeyes:

When I heard that Poland was coming back to Eurovision, I thought they would try to send something good so they could qualify. I see very little chance of that happening with this song. They'd better keep it in Polish. I'm usually fine with joke entries but My Slowianie is plain annoying.

17. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Well, it's been a massive smash hit in Poland and it's on the radio all the time but the main thrust of the appeal is the folk/urban cross-over that somebody who isn't Polish just won't connect to in the same way. So yes, I high they have very little chances of qualifying although who knows. At the end of the day, the production and the quality of the performance can mean much more than the actual composition.

In a way it's a smart move by the TVP because having such a high profile act is going to create a lot of interest in Eurovision nationally.

18. shah

shah Well-Known Member

Oh yes, we will stand out, for sure :(. Well, TVP could have chosen Natasza Urbańska instead :p (for those who don't know her - and hopefully won't get to know her - she's a failed singer/actor/dancer who has just released a flop album, promoted by this crap; being addicted to her tyrannical husband doesn't help either... but she tried twice to represent Poland in ESC).

19. allezfred

Surely it can't be as bad as Dustin the Turkey? :lol:

20. allezfred

Oooh Poland is in our semi so you're guaranteed some points from Ireland. :lol:

21. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Not as bad but close. :p Dustin was at least funny, though, this is just sad.

An excerpt of the English lyrics:

'Cream and butter tastes so good
    We prepare for you a delicious food
    Our beauty's famous all over the world
    You've got to see it for yourself and then you will know...'

It's not even written in correct English and well... :shuffle:.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  22. Eden

Eden Well-Known Member

One of these three songs will be chosen to represent Israel by SMS.
    The winning song will be decided on March 5th.
    The singer, Mei Feingold, said in an interview that she wants to believe that her song will be judged by its quality and not based on politics.

23. allezfred

For anyone who is interested, the Irish final is on tonight starting at 9:35pm Irish time. Live link here.

Due to a scheduling conflict, I won't be at home this evening. It might be for the best. :yikes:

24. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I will be home but I don't think I can make myself watch that, sorry Fred. This year the quality is just not there. I think that the Irish government should sign a law making Jedward the Irish entrant every year. At least they'd bring a lot of FUN. I hope the Irish folk inspired song wins.

The Common Linnets have already chosen their song but no news on when it will be premièred. All we know for now is that the song, as well as the whole Nashville recorded album, will be country. :scream:

I really like the tone of her voice. It's kind of rich and husky. It will certainly stand out.

"Same Heart" - Starts like a typical power ballad and then a simple beat kicks in. I guess it showcases her voice pretty well but this is 'desperately-trying-to-be-a-diva-by-numbers.' It seems the most popular song though. 4.25
    "Nisheret iti" / "Staying with me" - One of the top comments says it all: 'The worst of the three songs - they forgot to compose a melody.' 2.00
    "Be Proud" - This is the song she composed herself. Again, it showcases her voice well and I like the strong rhythm but it's a bit generic. 3.25

I'm sorry Israel, I personally don't like any of these songs but I do agree that "Same Heart" is definitely the best choice, as seems the popular sentiment at the moment. I think that it's the kind of song that can place top 10, if she'll perform it well. I just listened to the songs once, as well, I imagine in time with time they'll grow on me.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  25. sweetsparky

Eys, I loved Dustin "Give us another chance, we're sorry for Riverdance" the Turkey :mitchell: :lol:

The lack of sense of humour of Eurofans is really sad :drama:

26. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Now I really regret not watching the entire Irish final. Yesterday, Billy McGuinness who 'mentored' Laura O'Neill accused Louis Walsh of using his position of power to manipulate the vote so that Quigg wins. During the show, one of the One Direction boys twitted in Quigg's support and McGuinness totally lost it. When I tuned in, the show looked like Jeremy Kyle/Jerry Springer with Martin and McGuinness shouting at each other. She eventually stood up and got right in his face. Quality entertainment. :D

And it's not only a One Erection boy that spoke out. This is Olly Murs' tweet: https://twitter.com/ollyofficial/status/439536307942223872. So Billy might have a point.

"Heartbeat" is the best choice by far, IMO, because it's quite catchy. "You Don't Remember Me" was very well performed and quite dramatic but a bit too flat for Eurovision. Radio-friendly though. The less said about the other songs, the better. :p

Voting happening at the moment, result will come within an hour.

This tweet wins the internet: 'Had to rewind earlier to show my brother Louisgate, now I can't vote. Feel very disappointed. Have failed my country.' <3

Over in Germany, Elaiza's "Is It Right" won the Clubkonzert for young musicians to become the wildcard entry in their national final. Very bland and old-fashioned, IMO. It's really sad that they had all these young musicians submitting songs and ended up with something this safe.

In the UK, BBC is finally taking Eurovision seriously again. :cheer: For all of the hand-wringing about 'politics,' it might have had helped UK to get decent results, had they entered - you know - actual decent songs. I mean, when Andrew Lloyd Webber penned that big ballad that was the performed well by Jade Ellis, they did place top 10. It was boring but it was polished and well executed and delivered so it did well. So this year a different approach will be taken:
    BBC - Our Vision for Copenhagen

This sounds absolutely fantastic and is yet another proof for why there is no other TV network as amazing as the BBC, despite its flaws. They are giving a platform to a young, talented artist who will be performing their own song. Regardless of the result, it is the right thing to do morally and regardless of the result, it will be a more interesting story - if you spin it right - then the lazy rehashing of old has-beens. 'Although Eurovision is a song contest, it&#8217;s not a pre-recorded, post-produced and auto-tuned song contest. It&#8217;s a live vocal performance song contest and we all know what can go wrong there.' Yeah after Hump's and Tyler's screeching, we certainly do. :p

Well, I am very excited and cannot wait. The song will be premiered on Monday 3rd March at 19:00 UTC.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  27. allezfred

PML that the fight was the best thing about the Irish Eurovision song selection. Safe to say we're not winning this year. :shuffle:

28. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

You also won't place top 10 in the final and you will be very lucky to even qualify. "Heartbeat" is kind of catchy but Casey seemed tense performing it. She'd need to do better than that. (Assuming it even wins)

Linda vs. Billly :D

29. allezfred

Well there might be five worse songs than us. It's Eurovision so anything's possible. :slinkaway

I'd say Song 3 or Song 5 for the win if I had to, but the panel seem to like Eoghan Quigg. No bias there then. ;)

30. allezfred

The voting!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.