Eurovision 2014 in Beautiful Copenhagen

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by allezfred, Nov 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

So is France. :saint:

I like it, too. Italy has been sending such great songs since its comeback.
  2. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Catchy! It should do very well. Great to see Italy treating Eurovision very seriously since its return and sending strong entries every year. :)
  3. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

If Ireland can't make the Top 10 in a semi with only 15 countries, it will be a national disgrace!

Now watch us go and pick something completely shite and not qualify. :p
  4. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

Finland is choosing its entry today. Most of the candidates are so boring that I can´t listen...:rolleyes: Bring back Lordi!
  5. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

And more importantly ;) the first heat of Melodifestivalen is tonight! :cheer:

Un-geoblocked live on SVT Play from 20:00-21:30 UTC+1. I CAN'T WAIT! :gallopin1

YOHIO and Helena Paparizou will open and close tonight's Heat 1.

On another note, La Mia Citta has now been officially confirmed as Italy's entry.

And one of the candidates to represent Spain is Ruth Lorenzo! She was absolutely amazing on the UK X-Factor and I was surprised and disappointed that she didn't manage to secure a record deal afterwards. Well she just got a new deal now and she is trying to use this as her platform. I hope she smashes it.
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  6. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Melodifestivalen - Deltävling 1 (Malmö)

There is nothing else like Melodifestivalen. The 'Down with flutes!' opening with flutes being burned and that awful "Only Teardrops" flute solo played off key was so fabulous it made me cry.

A fantastic idea to have the contestants paint on a pane of glass for their postcard. You can go all armchair psychoanalysis on their creations and it's an interesting insight into the kind of personality they have or try to present.

1. YOHIO "To the End"

A big 80s tinged power ballad. Exactly what you'd expect from him. I loved his "Devil May Cry" inspired cyberpunk outfit with a pink cape. He looked fabulous. The vocals however were :scream:. He was off key a lot of of the time and it was quite painful to hear.

2. Mahan Moin "Aleo"

The verses seemed completely incidental but that chorus was 10/10. An incredibly fun, euphoric summer hit. I'm surprised that a song this catchy wasn't given to Jennifer Lopez feat. Pitbull instead, for their annual vacation offering. ;)

The presentation was a bit of a mess though. Sloppy dancing and a very bizarre prop which looked like laundry being aired. :p

3. Linus Svenning "Bröder" (Brothers)

It had to be seen to be believed. An incredibly hot tattooed and pierced shaved head bad boy singing a bromance song... written by the usual cheese peddler Frederik Kempe. WTF! :rofl: Another big power ballad. Pretty decent actually.

4. Elisa Lindström "Casanova"

Typical Melodifestivalen tacky crap of the so-bad-it's-good variety. Like being at some very cheap Las Vegas wannabe show. Bonus points for OTT facial expressions from the dancers.

5. Alvaro Estrella "Bedroom"

This also had to be seen to be believed. A camp guy in very tight-fitting clothes singing about having so much fabulous sex, he never made it into the bedroom. And singing most of the song in falsetto... whilst not hitting the notes. It sounded like a dying cat. Quite an entertaining disco inspired club track.

6. Ellen Benediktson "Songbird"

Unbelievably dull ballad-by-numbers. :yawn:

7. Sylvester Schlegel "Bygdens son" (The Neighbourhood's Son)

Very embarassing dad rock. (Also: He can't sing)

8. Helena Paparizou "Survivor"

I wanted a big, euphoric club anthem (Mahan Moin delivered that, at least). Paparizou went for yet another big power ballad, instead. It was ok, it's quite catchy but no, she's not going to win Eurovision again. :p They could have done more effort with the presentation instead of having just her alone on stage in a hideous black dress, making dramatik facial expressions.

My jury vote ;) would be:

To the Final:
    1. Mahan Moin "Aleo"
    2. Linus Svenning "Bröder"

To Andra Chansen:
    3. Helena Paparizou "Survivor"
    4. YOHIO "To the End"

Off home:
    5. Alvaro Estrella "Bedroom"
    6. Elisa Lindström "Casanova"
    7. Sylvester Schlegel "Bygdens son"
    8. Ellen Benediktson "Songbird"

The actual results were:

To the Final:
    1/2. YOHIO "To the End" (how surprising ;))
    1/2. Ellen Benediktson "Songbird" (seriously :blah:)

To Andra Chansen:
    3/4. Linus Svenning "Bröder"
    3/4. Helena Paparizou "Survivor"

Off home:
    5. Elisa Lindström "Casanova"
    6. Alvaro Estrella "Bedroom"
    7. Mahan Moin "Aleo" (I am a sad panda :()
    8. Sylvester Schlegel "Bygdens son"

Hard to imagine YOHIO not winning the whole thing this year.
  7. shah

shah Well-Known Member

8. shah

shah Well-Known Member

Oh, Switzerland is sending Sebalter. Well, I'm hard to please these days when it comes to music, and Serbalter doesn't help me change my mind :p.
  9. Aerobicidal

Aerobicidal Well-Known Member

As always, thank you for the excellent recap!

"Bedroom" was literally stunning. The guy had less sex appeal than last year's Israeli entry and vocal chops that would make Linda McCartney proud. Added bonus: people pretending to play actual instruments, as if any had been used to create the song. The drummer was especially awesome, a seeming tribute to Animal from the Muppets, only this time on (even more) uppers.

Yohio: On a positive note, it's not as bad as last year. And without Jedward, at least Eurovision has someone to reliably destroy gaydars and eardrums.
  10. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Oh dear.

Softengine's song is very middle-of-the-road pop rock. :yawn: There are millions of songs like this and we really don't need another one.

Sebalter's wannabe country act is so bad, it's hilarious.

"Bedroom" was incredibly fun because of its WTF factor. :D

And yes, Yohio's song is actually pretty catchy. Beautiful Andreas Johnson never managed to make it as a solo artist, maybe he'll do it as a composer.

I know it's not likely but in my dreams, Alcazar finally win this year.
  11. Roxanne

Roxanne New Member

Cake to Bake is through to Latvia's final. That's all I care about :D

I'm sad that Amor didn't qualify for Iceland. It was the only interesting one in today's semi final.

And I liked Songbird from Sweden so I'm glad it's in the final. I wasn't impressed with Helena's song. Yohio's song is pretty good. I don't like his voice though.

I don't care about Finland's song and I like parts of Switzerland's song but his English pronunciation is terrible. Both Finland and Switzerland would be for sure non-qualifiers if they weren't in the easier semi-final with only 15 songs.
  12. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Sharon Vaughn's reaction to "Songbird" making the final was priceless. It was a mix of total surprise and 'oh shit.' She wrote both that and "Survivor" and I'm sure she was expecting the latter and not the former to make it. Ellen Benediktson also seemed genuinely surprised at making it. It was quite sweet to observe, even if I absolutely detest that song (a very generic ballad. :p

The fun police is taking all the videos of songs which have qualified down (the full show is still up on SVT Play, though) but the summer-tastic "Aleo" has managed to evade the reptilian overlords so far. So put on your straw skirts and dance around the bedroom with reckless abandon. What a song.
    Mahan Moin "Aleo"
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  13. Roxanne

Roxanne New Member

14. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I really hope that Saule riet - Olga un Līgo wins. An ethno EDM stomper, exactly what Eurovision needs! :cheer:

Daniel Testa creeps me out. He looks like a child. I find his song lacking in light and shade and a sense of narrative. It's just way too samey throughout and falls flat. I would pick Jessika "Hypnotica" instead.
  15. Roxanne

Roxanne New Member

I agree! Eurovision needs more of these kinds of songs. They are so much better than all the predictable pop songs. I don't like Hypnotica at all. The chorus is so boring. It does have the 2nd most views on Youtube so I'm sure it will also be high in the televote.

And Daniel Testa is a child. He's only 16 and he's just popular because he got Malta's highest placement in Junior Eurovision until Gaia won last year. I don't think I'll be rooting for Malta this year. I want Poland to qualify instead.
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  16. shah

shah Well-Known Member

It seems Latvia stays in the semi one more year in a row :EVILLE:.

These 2 songs from Malta are awful, but Daniel Testa's seems better overall (uncanny similarity to a bunch of other songs notwithstanding :p).

I'm seriously disappointed with the Swedish tracks. That "Bedroom" was so wtf I had to view it twice :D.

And we shouldn't really complain about the Swiss choice - listen to other songs it competed with - like this schlager gem :p.

Oh, France chooses among these three:
    a) Destan - Sans Toi (incredibly catchy, but they can't sing plus they didn't get a memo the boyband era is long gone...)
    b) Joanna - Ma Liberte (a power ballad, nice but not really outstanding)
    c) Twin Twin - Moustache (it's so absurd it simply has to win :cheer:).
  17. Roxanne

Roxanne New Member

18. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

The Spanish songs have been published:

Brequette Cassie "Más" (Thomas G:son, Tony Sanchez, Brequette)
    Jorge González "Aunque Se Acabe El Mundo" (Kiko Rodríguez, Bruno Nicolás, Leticia Fuentes, María José Fernández)
    La Dama "Estrella Fugaz" (Rasel, Mario Fernandez)
    Raúl "Seguir SinTi" (William Duque, Domingo Sánchez)
    Ruth Lorenzo "Dancing in the Rain" (Jim Irvin, Julian Emery)

Brequette looks like a clear winner to me. A big, emotional power ballad with very strong vocals. Another Eurovision success for G:son, it seems. Jorge González and Raúl are very bland and forgettable. La Dama is just appalling. So cheesy (and not in a good way :p). I am very disappointed by Ruth Lorenzo. She's a fantastic performer and deserves much better material than this dull crap.

Destan's song is just bland and their vocals are indeed subpar. Joanna's is decent enough but :yawn:. Twin Twin is really fun and a clear winner to me.

I like Madeline Juno. Quirky and sophisticated pop ftw. Baseballs are peddling the same song since their career started. :yawn: Das Gezeichnete Ich is 10/10 for me. Euphoric/melancholic synthpop is exactly up my street. MarieMarie is decent as well. Santiano sounds like a cheap redneck wedding band. :scream: Unheilig is just so... German. :D I wonder what Oceana's song is like.

Overall, I am positively surprised with the level of the German entries.
  19. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I've just listened to the other Finnish finalists and I am really crushed that Mikko Pohjola's "Sängyn reunalla" didn't manage to win (it was a close 2nd in jury vote, televoting results aren't known). :( A really sophisticated song, performed very well.

I've found a snippet of Oceana's "Thank You" and it sounds quite promising.
  20. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

Yes, it was the only really good song there.
  21. allezfred

Hosts have been announced

They are Nikolaj Koppel, Pilou Asbæk and Lise Rønne. Koppel and Rønne are TV presenters while Asbæk is an actor most famous internationally for Danish TV series "Borgen".
  22. allezfred

The Shin & Mariko to represent Georgia

Sounds a bit worthy, but we shall see.
  23. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Their PR people make them sound incredible but: The Shin "Take This Morning" :slinkaway

Ruth Lorenzo has said in an interview that the song uploaded by RTVE is an early demo and that the finished version sounds stronger and more emotive. Still, I think that even if she delivers a 10.00 PE (which she's more than capable of), I think that Brequette has it in the bag.
  24. allezfred

So it's only a bit less crap. :lol:
  25. sweetsparky

sweetsparky Well-Known Member

:drama: Some faith is needed :p

This is a Spanish preEurovision competition so I won´t be sure of anything until listening them singing live, because there is a big chance of awful, and sPainful performances :drama:

Listening the recorded songs, Brequette should win by a mile, but her song is being accused of sounding too much like Swedish Zara Larsson´s uncover :shuffle:

The old traditional :drama: of chosing Spanish Eurovision song, every year a new experience :watch:
  26. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Talk about polishing a turd. ;)

She shouldn't have given Dannii Minogue "Cos You're Beautiful." It would have made for a perfect Eurovision song.

"Cos You're Beautiful" (penned by Ruth Lorenzo)

Imagine dancers going all out during the chorus and fireworks going on off for each of the 'YOU AREs.' :cheer:

Oh well, I can dream. :p
  27. allezfred

28. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

And he made the final. He then got signed to RCA which made him rush release an absolutely abysmal single (Eoghan "28,000 Friends"), which flopped (peaked at number 96 :p), followed by an absolutely appalling covers album, which also flopped. And that was the end of 'living the dream' and he was back to school.
  29. Roxanne

Roxanne New Member

New version of Tick Tock

I liked the old version better tbh

I watched Malta's semi-final yesterday and this one got a big reaction from the crowd. I wonder if we could have a surprise winner. It's still most likely between Daniel and Jessika.

Melfest's 2nd heat seems really crappy from the previews so I'm not missing anything by watching the Olympics instead.
  30. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I just can't miss Melodifestivalen. I'm already watching today's Olympic events on-demand due to having a nap earlier (I'm a bit ill :/) so I am taking a break from SCANDALOUS JUDGING :mad: :drama: to have some fun for a change. ;)
  31. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Melodifestivalen - Deltävling 2: Linköping

You can watch the whole thing on-demand and un-geoblocked here: http://www.svtplay.se/video/1761492/melodifestivalen-2014-deltavling-2 (28:29:30 for Pink Pistols :glamor:)

Ok, you were totally right Roxanne. This was a disaster and a total waste of time (although Pink Pistols kinda made it worth it in the end).

Nour El-Refai was even more of a nervous mess this time, almost bringing herself to tears at one point after totally messing up her cues.

Helena Paparizou wuzrobbed. She would have easily qualified to the final from this Heat.

1. J.E.M "Love Trigger" (Thomas G:son, Peter Boström, Julimar "J-Son" Santos)

This sounded like something found in Black Eyed Peas' A&R team's bin. And the live vocals were pretty awful. I guess it was upbeat and dance-able at least but bloody hell.

SS 4.25 PE 6.25 CO 4.75

2. The Refreshments "Hallelujah" (Joakim Arnell)

DAD ROCK ALERT. This is not a drill. I repeat, this is not a drill. How do you end up doing this kind of trashy wannabe country crap when you're born in Sweden, out of all places? Cheap wedding band vibes.

SS 2.00 PE 1.25 CO 0.75

3. Manda "Glow" (Joy Deb, Linnea Deb, Melanie Wehbe, Charlie Mason)

Scary pink claws. An abysmal nasal vocal. 'We all glow.' Such an inspiring anti-bullying message, blah blah blah blah. Go away.

SS 1.75 PE 2.75 CO 2.25

4. Panetoz "Efter solsken" (After the sunshine) (Johan Hirvi, Mats Lie Skåre, Nebeyu Baheru, Njol Badjie, Pa Modou Badjie)

Well, this was no "Dansa Pausa." It was fun and upbeat and they had good energy on stage but it was quite forgettable.

SS 5.25 PE 6.25 CO 5.00

5. Pink Pistols "I Am Somebody" (Joakim Törnqvist, Nestor Geli, Per Ivar Hed, Susie Päivärinta, Tord Bäckström)

Two drag queens and two camp gay guys. Singing a euphoric, HI-NRG power pop banger. YES! YES! YES! :cheer:

F-A-B-U-L-O-U-S :glamor:

SS 6.75 PE 7.75 CO 6.75

6. Sanna Nielsen "Undo" (Fredrik Kempe, David Kreuger, Hamed "K-One" Pirouzpanah)

A big power ballad. Initially, very much :yawn: but then it exploded into a big crescendo. People will probably love this but it was quite bland and predictable.

SS 6.25 PE 6.00 CO 4.50

7. Little Great Things "Set Yourself Free" (Charlie Grönvall, Cristoffer Wernqvist, Felix Grönvall, Adam Dahlström)

An emo pop rock band for 'rebellious' teenagers who lock themselves in their room because their mum told them to do their homework. Great.

An annoyingly nasal vocal. The music was a bit of a racket (and not in a good way).

SS 4.00 PE 6.50 CO 4.25

8. Martin Stenmarck "När änglarna går hem" (When the angels go home) (Andreas Öhrn, Alexander Bard, Martin Stenmarck, Peter Boström)

This was very bizarre. Started like a ballad then going to mid-tempo and eventually going upbeat. It was like a pop rock styling for an essentially euro trash track. His voice was very croaky and sorry to say but he's very much past it.

SS 4.75 PE 5.75 CO 5.25

Here are the votes of the Moldovan jury:

To the Final:
    1. Pink Pistols "I Am Somebody" :cheer2:
    2. Panetoz "Efter solsken"

To Andra Chansen
    3. J.E.M. "Love Trigger" (or them to the Final and Panetoz to Andra Chansen - I'd be cool with either happening)
    4. Martin Stenmarck "När änglarna går hem"

Piss off home, please, thanks:
    5. Sanna Nielsen "Undo"
    6. Little Great Things "Set Yourself Free"
    7. Manda "Glow"
    8. The Refreshments "Hallelujah"
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  32. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Screw you, ungrateful Swedish public.

First three songs are out:
    7. Pink Pistols "I Am Somebody" :(
    8. Manda "Glow"

Once again my favourite song ends up eliminated straight away. *cries quietly in the corner*
  33. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Sanna Nielsen was the first (although announced in no particular order) to make it through to the final, as predicted. A big power ballad, tugging at the heartstrings, performed quite well. I don't think it can challenge YOHIO but I can see this placing top 3 in the final.

J.E.M. and Martin Stenmarck went through to Andra Chansen, which sounds about right.

THANK SATAN that The Refreshments didn't make it anywhere other than back to performing at provincial weddings. Phew! Panetoz are fun and I'm glad they made it.

Full results:

To the Final
    1/2. Sanna Nielsen "Undo"
    1/2. Panetoz "Efter solsken"

To Andra Chansen:
    3/4. J.E.M "Love Trigger"
    3/4. Martin Stenmarck "När änglarna går hem"

Off home:
    5. The Refreshments "Hallelujah"
    7. Pink Pistols "I Am Somebody" :wuzrobbed
    8. Manda "Glow"
  34. Roxanne

Roxanne New Member

Hypnotica won the televote but since the jury has most of the power in Malta this won instead. It's the most boring song so far.
  35. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Maltese juries always end up selecting the most boring crap. :(
  36. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I think the song is so appalling that changing the arrangement isn't going to help either way. :p

I like this version more, though. This song is just so cheap and gaudy and they made it sound a bit more sophisticated and highlighted her vocals better.
  37. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Irish songs:

1. Patricia Roe "Don't Hold On" :yawn:
    2. Eoghan Quigg "The Movie Song" - abysmal
    3. Can-linn feat. Kasey Smith "Heartbeat" - ethno mid-tempo, a bit middle of the road but at least it doesn't put you to sleep
    4. Andrew Mann "Be Mine" - we're back to de heydies! :scream:
    5. Laura O'Neill "You Don't Remember Me" :yawn:

Oh Ireland, you really don't want to make it to the final this year. I would go with Can-linn. It's not great but at least it's got some kind of character.

---

In Poland, the selection will be internal and gossip websites have been speculating that Edyta Górniak might be back. She won't be. Speculation doing the rounds at the moment is that Donatan & Cleo's smash hit "My Słowianie" will be entered. They have just released the English version entitled "Slavic Girls" for the German, Austrian and Swiss markets. It's an appalling song about how hot Slavic girls are and how they know how to twerk. :scream: But you cannot deny it's really catchy. The English video is not pon de internet yet but here's the original:
    Donatan & Cleo "My Słowianie"

If it really was entered, somehow I think it'd not make the final, like "Igranka" last year. It'd only appeal to a narrow demographic and definitely not to the jurors who prefer safe and predictable songs.
  38. Roxanne

Roxanne New Member

But at least the old version was somewhat catchy. The new version is just her going ooooo the whole time. I think Ukraine will be out of the top 10 this time. At least, I hope so.

When are we going to find out what Poland's entry is?

edit: Yikes, I could see Poland getting last in the semi final with that.
  39. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

It's the usual mess with nobody knowing anything (despite the Polish OGAE club being in a very good relationship with TVP). :p

There are no official plans for the song's presentation (come on, even Macedonia is doing it) and all that's been said is that the decision is 'supposed to' be made and announced before the end of this month.
  40. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Some news (or old news):

Eurovision has concluded their investigation into Azeri vote buying and... surprise surprise everything is ok, no evidence of any wrongdoing, the scores were legit, blah blah blah. Well to be precise, apparently the system 'noticed' irregularities and those votes weren't counted. Even though everything is hunky dory, they have put some procedures and algorithms in place regarding that.

Speaking of vote buying, in Lithuania one of the contestants in their huge Eurovision selection has been eliminated after it was revealed the phone operator rigged the votes in his favour.

Softengine are going to re-record their song with a proper producer, now they got a record deal, as they admitted the version they performed in UMK was rushed.

Interestingly, everybody will be performing two original songs in the German final.

Azeri pre-selections are hilarious. It's like a bad karaoke show and it's all about finding a decent enough singer, they could then package properly sparing no expense.

There will be four artists in the modest "budget" Greek final again. ;)

There are rumours of Turkey returning next year.

Spanish final will take place on 22nd February.

Six acts made it through the first Estonian semi-final.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.