Eurovision 2014 in Beautiful Copenhagen

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by allezfred, Nov 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

I refuse to believe that a song with the line "Undo my sad" will win Eurovision. :p

2. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

'Undo my sad / undo what hurts so bad'

The songwriting strategy for this seemed to have been 'any old shit as long as it rhymes.' :shuffle:

I think that a placement around the top 5 is pretty much guaranteed and I am preparing mentally for it, but I am going to be in million depressions if that wins, for precisely the reason that you mentioned.

3. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

Well, whilst it was never an entry, kinda hard to beat:
    "Well, I've been through the desert on a horse with no name,
    it felt good to get out of the rain,
    In the desert, you can't remember your name ,
    'cause there ain't no one for to give you no pain."

From the same group that gave us " alligator lizards in the air." :confused:

4. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

^Reuven, at least "A horse with no name" had a great singer and melody. And yes, I am old enough to remember the original.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

This is at least written in more or less correct English (well that last line not so much :p). "Undo" isn't.

6. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

It's always surprising when worlds collide - from Jedward's twitter:

7. HisWeirness

HisWeirness Happy Russian Hunger Games!

:lol: It's so random.

http://www.tv3.ie/entertainment_article.php?locID=1.803.810&article=132177

8. shah

shah Shhh...

I tell ya, it was her lipstick :p.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

:rofl: How random!!!

I can't even imagine how tragically bad that album is going to be, if they really have written and produced everything.

10. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i will uber the the dance team that skates to poland's entry forever.

11. Roxanne

Roxanne Member

The song they wrote for Gracie was bad but not tragically bad. It's pretty much a typical, stupid boyband song. Nothing special. I wonder if Gracie will skate to it.

I'm still waiting for someone to skate to I Love Belarus.

12. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i finally found someone in real life who knows and likes that song. i might have to move to ireland to marry my IT guy. clearly, it's a sign.

13. Hanna

Hanna Wheeeeeeeeeee

Are the entries exceptionally crap this year or do I just say this every time? I've listened to semi 2 songs twice now but nothing stands out for me. :drama: At least not in a good way. :shuffle:

Bring back Romanian guy from last year! :mitchell: And Anouk with her bird song.

14. allezfred

I quite liked Greece and Malta in Semi 2. And Austria was fascinating in a "can't look away from the drag queen with a beard" sort of way. :shuffle:

15. Finnice

Hanna, for me semi 2 was at least better than number one. THAT is so full of bad songs.
    But the all round level is so mediocre, that the Finnish song, which I did not like at all when it was selected, feels okayish now.

16. allezfred

Eurovision poll update: Hoping to have everyone's votes by this Friday night. :)

17. shah

shah Shhh...

I can hardly believe it but "Undo my sad" is really predicted the win this year's contest :eek:.

Btw, Hanna, I'm with you. The level of songs is just appalling. But I'm pretty sure we say it every year ;)...

18. DimaToe

DimaToe Well-Known Member

I'm another one that can't get over the "undo my sad" part, I would've gladly accepted "undo my bra" even if it didn't fit the song, at least it wouldn't sound as bad :shuffle:

19. shah

shah Shhh...

"Uuuuuundo my braaaaa, uuuuuuundo what hurts so bad" - perfect! :D

20. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

After listening to everything a few times, I think that this year is actually much stronger than usual. There is a lot of crap but that is the case every year. However, there's also a number of songs which are intriguing and sophisticated and that happens very rarely at Eurovision. Usually you have what - three or so such entries in any given year - and this year, there's a number of songs which are interesting and stand out in some way:

Semi 1:
    Armenia - starts of very calm and simple and erupts into a big dubstep breakdown at the end, not how you usually do power ballads.
    Albania - they did a great job of destroying the originally very nicely orchestrated and arranged entry but it's still very decent
    Netherlands - very dull but at least it stands out because of being acoustic, country and not in a tacky way
    Montenegro - a bit flat but a very respectable, decently written Balkan song
    Hungary - I find it very grating but it's a fresh and contemporary pop song that he performs well

Semi 2:
    Malta - same as Netherlands, I find it a quite dull but it's nice to see a folk song which isn't cheesy
    Israel - the song is mediocre I guess but her voice is very interesting
    Norway - a restrained, yet very powerful ballad; when he sings I believe every single word, he really connects with the lyrics and interprets them well, a very rare gem
    Georgia - it's a mess but how often do you see this kind of bonkers fusion of ethno and jazz, at least it's different :D
    Austria - mediocre song but fantastic live vocals and what Conchita represents and the lyrics in relation to their life story bring a small tear to my very cynical eye ;)
    Lithuania - I love the cool 90s vibe of this
    Finland - mediocre but the lite-indie-rock will stand out and the song has decent energy
    Macedonia - mediocre but it's a catchy, radio-friendly pop song; it's Eurovision and I don't expect anything more ;)
    Greece - this time the fusion of traditional Greek music and electronic club music works very well, it's sounds very fresh
    Slovenia - a bit dull but the flute is lovely and the new arrangement is a big improvement

Final:
    France - a fun, over-the-top dance song
    Italy - an energetic 80s-tinged rock song
    United Kingdom - contemporary, stylish and sophisticated pop, interesting voice

I think that UK and Norway are extremely strong entries. The kind you see very rarely at Eurovision. There's also a number of songs that sound fresh and contemporary which again was not often seen at Eurovision. And there's quite a lot of songs which might be a bit middle-of-the-road but at least they show decent craftsmanship.

All in all, I'd say that the level of entries is way higher than usual. I've been listening to the contests from the past several years recently and for most years, I can't find more than 1-3 songs which aren't really shit.

I think it's going to win. It's a very safe and predictable power ballad that your granny and your mum will like. :wall:

21. Finnice

Allezfred, when shall we get the results of the semifinals?

(Yes, I have dull time and can´t concentrate to my work;)

22. miffy

miffy Well-Known Member

:shuffle: Probably not until Mr miffy gets home and votes... I hope it's not just us you are waiting for :eek:

23. allezfred

Deadline is this evening so I hope to wake up tomorrow with all the votes. Although that's highly unlikely and I will be sending annoying PMs. :lol:

Announcement will be......as soon as I have all the votes. Hopefully beginning of this coming week. :)

miffy, don't worry! It's not just you. ;)

24. FarFarAway

FarFarAway Choice is an illusion

Ye, I am very eager to have them, because the coming weeks are going to be very busy on my side (I am going to the gym and getting ready to move on with my degree in tourism), so I'd rather not miss the semifinals results.

25. allezfred

Still waiting on just a few more people to send me their votes. Those of you that haven't please send them to me ASAP and thanks to all of you who have for your patience!

26. sweetsparky

sweetsparky Pasodoble is coming

:fragile: Sorry :(

27. allezfred

No need for apologies. We are all good now. :sekret: :bribe:

Results of Semi 1 to be announced tomorrow evening at 9pm (CET). :)

28. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

Oh no, I was going to do it right now. :( I'm so sorry, let me know if you still need it. I did listen to the songs but would need to go through again to decide a ranking.

On first listen I'd have to agree with FarFarAway unfortunately. Hoping I like semi 1 more than others have or it's not boding well for this year.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  29. allezfred

Lara, there is still time! :)

30. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

On it, and sorry again for the delay!

ETA - finally sent. And happy that the semi 2 songs did grow on further listen (at least those I ranked) - looking forward to Copenhagen now! :cheer2:

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.