Eurovision 2014 in Beautiful Copenhagen

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by allezfred, Nov 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

When: 6, 8 & 10 May 2014

Where: "Eurovision Island" aka B&W Hallerne, Copenhagen

Bosnia Herzegovina and Portugal are returning after sitting out 2013, while Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus (((mlp))) and Serbia look like they will be sitting this year out.

The following countries have already picked the artist who will represent them in Denmark:

Austria - Conchita Wurst :lol:
    Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia - Tijana Dapcevic "Pobeda"
    Montenegro - Sergej Cetkovic
    Netherlands - The Common Linnets
    San Marino - Valentina Monnetta :rofl:

Ukraine (21 December) and Albania (28 December) will be the next two countries to decide who will represent them in Copenhagen.

2. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

The venue seems incredible. B&W Hallerne is a 60s industrial warehouse, located in Refshaleøen which an old shipsyard. There will be a Eurovision Island for parties with food vendors, drinks, open air events and a Eurovision Mile going from the Central Station through the center of Copenhagen (Strøget) to the New Harbour where you can take the Water bus directly to the venue. More information and pics. It sounds like a perfect Eurovision to go to!

Danish tv is promising to modernise the context whilst keeping its spirit. No mention of any specific changes other than the artist portraits replacing the postcards again, which I think is a great idea, because it creates an emotional connection with the artists. They will be taking this concept a bit further than Sweden did. Hopefully not to the point of reality tv sob stories though. The winner of the Junior Eurovision Song Contest is going to perform at some point.

There is an investigation into possible voting irregularities (read: vote buying by Azerbaijan) going on. It is still ongoing but there already is a rule change this year, as a result, making the names of all the jurors known on 1st May and disclosing all of their votes afterwards in order to increase transparency. So now they can get bribed by Azerbaijan and then say they voted for them because they had the best song. :D

Cyprus might still be taking part as a private broadcaster has offered to take over and fund the selection and entry process (which is what happened last year in Greece). It's funny to see Serbia, who always took Eurovision really seriously, throw in a strop and quit after failing to qualify last year. Turkey isn't returning but it is creating its own competition, Türkvision which will be a competition between 20 different regions (within Turkey and occupied by its military). Poland was supposed to announce their decision but didn't (although it surely is gonna be a 'no').

There is a huge shitstorm in Austria following Conchita Wurst's choice. Part of it is because the selection was internal instead of being decided by the viewers as in previous years but most of it is the usual homophobic crap. There has already been a response in Belarus with a demand presented to the Ministry of Interior to edit the Austrian performance out of the broadcast because otherwise it will create 'a hotbed for sodomy.' Lovely. Knowing the political reality in Belarus, that might actually go through, although maybe not since EBU would then ban Belarus from participating this year (as I posted in the Sochi thread, Eurovision has asked the Russian state broadcaster for clarification regarding the recent laws).

The Common Linnets are a supergroup formed by two singer-songwriters. Ilse de Lange (famously described by Anouk as 'a woman with no personality') and Waylon. They are recording an album together and using Eurovision to promote it, whilst the Netherlands gets a high profile artist again. Everybody wins. Ilse de Lange "Blue Bittersweet" (her latest single). Waylon "The Escapist". I am expecting a :yawn:.

France is bringing the public selection back. Although in a limited capacity as viewers will be choosing from 3 pre-selected entries only. Finland will bring the UMK format from last year with the same judges/mentors. Ireland will have five mentors again (but different ones) and there are rumours Melanie McCabe (now this is a woman with no personality) might be one of the artists chosen to take part. Latvia is going for 'Made in Latvia' this year with only songs written by Latvian composers allowed. Norway wants to do a longer build, so that people can get to know the acts, instead of just semi-finals, again taking the leaf out of reality tv's book. Lithuania is doing selection for both song and the singer. Belgium is doing a big national selection this year, starting with artists sending in a cover of a Eurovision song.

Switzerland has received over 150 songs and selected 18 entries through combined juror and internet voting. The artists will now perform for the jury and they will choose 6 acts to proceed to the national final. Interestingly, one of the 18 acts is Gosia Andrzejewicz. A Polish singer known for her tacky style and a crazy, unprofessional manager dad. Her tragic album cover. She's tried to represent Belarus before and IIRC Germany as well so she really is desperate to do anything to revive her dead career.

Of course, the most important and amazing national selection is Melodifestivalen and I am already going mad in anticipation. This year, SVT has introduced a quota requiring at least 20% of the entries to be (co)written by women. :cheer: The line-ups for the first two semi-finals have now been revealed and there are some very interesting names on there!

In Semi 1, there's Sylvester Schlegel who has previously represented Sweden at Eurovision as the lead singer for The Ark. YOHIO returns with a song co-written by Andreas Johnson (who's never won as an artist :(). Even more interestingly, Helena Paparizou also returns! She has represented Greece twice, coming third as a singer for Antique and then winning in 2005 with that appalling 'My Number One' song. She was born and raised in Sweden where she now lives but she only really had a proper music career in Greece so far and her only English language album (released in 2006) didn't do well at all. However, she's now signed an international deal with Universal and the Melodifestivalen appearance is going to promote her second English language album "One Life" (it's out next year).

In Semi 2, we'll see JEM of X-Factor fame. If their song is even half as good as "Zoom" which is a solid 8/10 pop song, it'll be happy days. Sanna Nielsen will return with more schlager crap and Martin Stenmarck who was 19th in 2005 with the absolutely tragic "Las Vegas" song will also be there.

Dr. Alban has revealed that he has submitted an entry as well. :D

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  3. shah

shah Shhh...

Really? OMG! :rofl::cheer:

4. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

5. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

Wheeee! The official thread!
    Oh dear.

6. allezfred

Aw, who doesn't love a bearded drag queen. :lol:

7. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

I just looked up Conchita...

Holy sh!t...:eek::drama::lol::watch:

8. shah

shah Shhh...

9. shah

shah Shhh...

It's confirmed - remaining 16 Melodifestivalen artists have been revealed and Dr. Alban is indeed one of them (in a duet with Jessica Folcker). Moreveor, Alcazar is returning :cheer:. And Linda Bengtzing :p.

10. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

11. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

what will i do? i have a serious case of the sads over this

12. Aerobicidal

Aerobicidal Well-Known Member

Find your happy place. (I've been waiting to post a clip of Julie Brown on this thread, as I'm convinced she heavily influenced my favorite intentionally funny Eurovision performer of all time, Silvia Night.)

ETA: I really hope Valentina Monetta veers closer to "Social Network Oooooh" than her 2013 dramaz.

13. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

ahh, just say julie
    i think of her when my eye catches my julia doll and lunch box on my book shelf

14. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

YES! :cheer:

Alcazar is one of the most awesome bands ever. They've tried so many times but the cruel, unappreciative Swedish public never gave them a chance. :drama:

My favourite entry of theirs didn't even make it into the finals, last time they took part. Alcazar "Headlines".

I was really hoping they would give it a try one last time as I'm assuming their recording career isn't going to last much longer (although who knows, they could probably make a comfortable living from doing pride appearances ;)).

State of Drama who made it to the finals last year are returning as well. :yawn:

So are 'can't sing but who cares since I'm cute' Anton Ewald who last year had an awesome disco banger "Begging" and Janet Leon who in a very surprising turn of events didn't even make it to Andra Chansen with her very decent "Heartstrings".

As for Linda, sorry but the schlager era is over. :p

Full line up here:
    http://www.eurovision.tv/page/news?id=92693&_t=melodifestivalen_2014_line-up_complete_in_sweden

It's looking absolutely awesome and I am SO EXCITED AND I JUST CAN'T HIDE IT. :cheer:

France has selected three randoms to take part in the final. More info below:
    http://www.eurovision.tv/page/news?id=meet_the_french_hopefuls

15. poths

poths Well-Known Member

Helena Paparizou is competing for Sweden? Has anyone ever won the competition for two different countries?

Dr Alban I could do without but Jessica Folcker is a great singer....

16. allezfred

As a singer, no.

17. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

We obviously haven't even heard the songs yet but given how popular YOHIO is, in comparison to everybody else taking part, he's going to have a huge advantage (plus the sympathy vote over not making it last year despite having won the public vote).

One nostalgic eurotrash act that I think could really use the Melodifestivalen exposure is Ace of Base. Did you know they have returned last year with a new album? No, me neither. ;)
    Ace of Base "All For You"

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  18. shah

shah Shhh...

I knew :shuffle:

19. Aerobicidal

Aerobicidal Well-Known Member

I vote for Loft or Centory. Or, better yet, Imperio.

I hope Valentina Monetta returns to her "Facebook" style rather than last year's attempt at straightforward competence.

Bring on the WTF (Romania, I'm especially depending on you)!

20. Roxanne

Roxanne Member

21. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

"Cake to Bake" is just :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:. How totally random! :cheer:

22. shah

shah Shhh...

23. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Wow, I can't believe it!

I hope that this time they can stage a PROPER national selection.

Last time, it was the biggest WTF ever. It was a concert held on Valentine's Day and there was a talking heart, which looked like bad website graphic design from the 80s, which kept pitching in 'funny' comments. There were loads of guests, performing in between the contestants which probably totally confused the average viewer with regards to who was in the running and who was just performing there. The stage was a few meters squared and the production quality was terrible, even though it was taking place in a newly built studio. And of course everybody who was taking part was bottom of the barrel crap. It was a complete and utter mess but then TVP (Polish state broadcaster) is really shit.

The Voice of Poland has been running for like two years over here now on TVP 2 so maybe they're going to pick one of the winners/finalists?

24. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

This is old news but it's only come to my attention now how much drama there was following the Army of Lovers re-union.

Following Melodifestivalen La Camilla was replaced by Dominika Peczynski and Army of Lovers wrote a hilariously bitchy open letter to the former.

http://www.armyoflovers.se/army-of-lovers-declare-sainthood-for-santa-camilla/

My favourite parts:

:rofl:

25. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

And we have our first winner!

Ukraine will be represented by Maria Yaremchuk performing the lowest common denominator, terribad 'Tick-Tock'.

Ukraine has always treated Eurovision very seriously, sending decent songs and has had a very successful run in recent years. Unless Yaremchuk shoots fireworks out of her arse, I think their luck is over. Although having said that, with a proper production anything is possible.

26. allezfred

You underestimate Ukraine-ment at your peril!

27. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Which is why I ended up adding that production caveat. ;) I hate the song but give me glass boxes with dancers inside/rotating wheels + being carried around and driven in a carriage/a giant lifting the singer/and so on and so forth and I am sold. :D

28. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

29. Roxanne

Roxanne Member

Albania's song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEH0iDktSNc

It's not bad but I feel like it's not catchy enough for Eurovision. If it wasn't for the fact that the semis will have only 15-16 songs, I would say this is a sure non-qualifier.

30. shah

shah Shhh...

Ha, I was about to post it :p.
    Well, the song is a bit dated, but has a definite ESC-feel to it. This may be a surprise (or not so surprise) qualifier...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.