Eurovision 2013: How Euphoric!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by victoriaheidi, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Natalia Kelly makes my skin crawl. It's just such a safe, unimaginative, cookie-cutter dull song. But yeah it'll surely win.

Bandaloop's "Back to Fantasy" is a fun electropop track but Jesus Christ her live vocals are just atrocious. :scream:

My favourite song out of the 5 but the worst live performance by far.

2. Roxanne

Roxanne New Member

The last one was so bad! But it wasn't boring. I always root for whatever is the least boring.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Ok so here how I would rank them:

1. Elija "Give Me A Sign"
    2. Yela "Feels Like Home"
    3. Falco Luneau "Rise Above The Night"
    4. Bandaloop "Back in Time"
    5. Natalia Kelly "Shine"

Shame the Bandaloop singer can't sing and that the performance didn't have more pizzaz.

Elija was my favourite by far, even with the botched Euphoria. ;P

Solid track, performed really well.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Oh come on I waited through the loooong ad and news break to see results and now they have taken the live broadcast offline. :p

5. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

In news that will surprise absolutely nobody, Natalia Kelly was chosen to represent Austria at Eurovision winning by a massive landslide.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKpqQplDVP0

Full results:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austria_in_the_Eurovision_Song_Contest_2013

I'm really surprised that Elija only came 4th with very low scores from both the jury and the televote. :(

In other news, I was very surprised to read that Slovenia's Hannah has composed the music and lyrics herself.

Coming back to Germany, Saint Lu's "Craving" was a very decent entry (it came 4th):
    http://www.eurovision.de/teilnehmer/saintlu125.html

I am looking through the German results now and some interesting tidbits:
    - "Nackert" won the online radio vote, came second in the televote but third from last in the jury vote (2nd overall)
    - "Heart on the Line" won the jury vote, came middle of the pack in the televote but dead last in the online radio vote (6th overall)
    - "Glorious" won easily getting 2nd place in online radio vote, 3rd in jury vote and winning the televote

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  6. Zokko!

Zokko! Comansnala?

I know ... I'm not a fan, but I still would've preferred "Nackert", the-Moldavian-entry-without-Granny-beating-the-drum-and-this-time-coming-from-Germany-(at-all!), becoming last, than this :blah: :scream: ... I won't repeat myself ... becoming Top Ten ...! I'm aware I'm acting like a big, fat :drama: , but still, I cannot believe how this could happen ... :mad: :eek:

7. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Well it's Eurovision. :p

Next to some of the other entries, "Glorious" will seem sophisticated. ;)

8. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

This is my least favorite of the Austrian entries in the three years I've been following (and that's saying something--last year was the Trackshittaz! :p).

9. allezfred

allezfred Mince Pie Depriving Admin Staff Member

Marco Mengoni for Italy.

10. shah

shah Shhh...

this will represent Latvia this year :scream:
    it seems no final for Latvia again...

11. Roxanne

Roxanne New Member

I just checked and the last time Latvia made it out of the semi-final was with Wolves of the Sea Maybe they need to send something ridiculous like that again?

Anyway, I didn't expect this to qualify for Estonia's final. What if it wins? :eek:

12. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Melodifestivalen - Semi-Final 3, SkellefteƄ

Here's the non geo-blocked link where you can watch the whole show for free. I recommend that you do because Melodifestivalen is awesome. :)
    http://www.svtplay.se/video/1013537/16-2-20-00

So after the fiasco of the first semi, the second and third one were really slick. Danny became more comfortable and read much less from cue cards.

I loved the "Italy, why do you hate us so much?" theme throughout. :D

(As very minor quibble, it's a shame that they now name the composers as Music/Text together and not seperately any more.)

We'll know for sure when votes are revealed but it seems to me that this semi was the closest fought so far with no obvious frontrunners and a similar level of most of the entries.

1. Eddie Razzaz "Alibi"

Incredibly handsome... and that's it. Can't sing, can't dance. Generic, forgettable disco track. It was fun though and you can imagine having a dance to it in a club.

2.Elin Peterson "Island"

She wrote the track herself (AUTHENTICITY KLAXON). Shame it was shit. :p Dull, tepid pop rock mid-tempo about loving a boy, of course. :yawn:

3.Ravaillacs "En riktig javla schlager"

Some old dudes who previously won Melodifestivalen singing a crappy schlager. Unbelievably, embarrassingly bad. It was like watching a Christmas performance in a nursing home.

4.Amanda Fondell "Dumb"

Trying way too hard to have a "rock" husky voice. It sounded comical. Really terrible delivery with audible breathing throughout. The song was like a Pink B-side.

5.Martin Rolinski "In And Out Of Love"

A fabulous euro trash mid-tempo, presented well with dancers in glass cubes, throwing paint at the wals (I kid you not :D).

His falsetto is awesome.

He has such an angelic face, the shorter hair and a bit of stubble to balance that out were definitely a good idea.

6.Caroline af Ugglas "Hon har inte"

She has a good voice but that was way too overwrought and OTT from start to finish.

7. State of Drama "Falling"

Boring tinkly verses, very catchy generic power ballad choruses. American "rock" band sounding. This can become a very big hit, really radio friendly.

That guy in 80s bad perm killed me. Who on earth thinks that it's a good look in 2013?

8.Janet Leon "Heartstrings"

Really amateurish vocals. You could hear her breathing throughout. There's potential there, her voice is quite powerful but she really needs to work on it. A fun dance track.

That's how I would rank them:

To the final:
    1. Martin Rolinski "In And Out Of Love"
    2. Eddie Razzaz "Alibi"

To Andra Chansen:
    3. Janet Leon "Heartstrings"
    4. State of Drama "Falling"

To the trash heap:
    5. Elin Peterson "Island"
    6. Caroline af Ugglas "Hon har inte"
    7. Amanda Fondell "Dumb"
    8. Ravaillacs "En riktig javla schlager"

I'd be fine with any of my top 4 making the final but the other 4 were quite awful.

My predictions regarding how the votes would actually turn out were:

State of Drama and Janet Leon to the final.

Caroline af Ugglas and Eddie Razzaz to Andra Chansen.

I only got two out of four. :p

I was ok with Peterson and Fondell being out but when I saw "En riktig javla schlager" going through to the second stage, I almost threw my laptop out of the window. Seriously every responsible Swede should have hidden the phones from their parents and grandparents. :p

I wonder how close Eddie Razzaz was to 5th place (he placed 6th).

Caroline af Ugglas and Martin Rolinski went through to Andra Chansen.

State of Drama (that was a safe bet) and Ravaillacs (WHYYYYYYYY?!!!) went through to the final.

Now I am terrified Ravaillacs might win the whole thing... :scream:

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  13. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

He's not only been selected as the Italian entry, he also won the 2013 San Remo festival.

His song will be revealed at a later date but here's his winning song:

Marco Mengoni "L'essenziale"

A bit boring and generic, IMO. Something I'd expect at San Remo. He's incredibly hot, though. :psoty:

Jesus Christ. This sounds like a cheap wedding band. Incredibad. :wall:

I sure hope that it does! :D

We need more punk performance art at Eurovision. It would place last but it'd be a Eurovision legend to stand the test of time. ^^

14. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Elitsa Todorova & Stoyan Yankulov's three songs have been revealed.

They are all terrible and whichever wins, it definitely won't achieve Voda's legendary status.

Dzupai Libe Boso (feat. Skiller & Jahmmi) - a ridiculous mix of dancified Bulgarian folk and ska/dancehall
    Kismet - wailing
    Samo Shampioni - we are the champions, blah blah blah, this will win most likely (is most tolerable as well)

Meh.

15. Roxanne

Roxanne New Member

I like the first one the best. I guess I have terrible taste. The last one is okay. Better than most of the Eurovision entries so far.

16. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

The first one is quite amusing. I just find the juxtaposition of the two styles really random and jarring. I'd be ok with it winning too.

Anything but Kismet, please. ^^

We had enough of crap Lori Nichol choreographed Kismets in skating. ;)

17. Evilynn

Evilynn ((Swedish skating dudes))

*whistling innocently*

;)

No, I did not accidentally set up an SMS gateway to get the Old Geezer song to go to the final just so Ziggy would join the YOHIO train. :shuffle:

18. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Watching the Greek final now on eurovision.tv. A lot of money was spent on this!

Greek singers are singing duets with Ruslana, Alexander Rybak and Dima Bilan to start with.

19. Roxanne

Roxanne New Member

If Greece picks the last song, it will be my favorite entry so far. But I think One Last Kiss or Alcohol Is Free will win :(

20. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I think "Alcohol is Free" has it in the bag. :(

But I agree. Aggeliki Illiadi (spelling? :p) is fabulous and would be my favourite entry so far also, if chosen.

A powerful, dramatic, ethno off-kilter banger that really stands out.

21. Roxanne

Roxanne New Member

:( :( :( of course that wins

I don't mind the rest of the song but the chorus sucks. Why can't they ever pick something I like?

22. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Yep that was very predictable... :(

23. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

Kismet. No. But Samo Shampioni I enjoyed. Of course, that might be the percussionist in me. The first one is OK, but prefer Samo.

24. Roxanne

Roxanne New Member

25. shah

shah Shhh...

well, songs about being born in a distant 1980 or Uncle Joe who can't speak were equally ridiculous but that didn't help much :p.

btw, nothing new, but this year the level of songs is simply atrocious. Koza Mostra sucks, Elitsa and Stoyan really disappointed me, now I'm waiting for an epic failure in Sweden (e.g. Ravaillacz winning...). even Valentina Monetta won't save the event, singing about Flickr or Instagram. :drama:

26. shah

shah Shhh...

:eek::rofl:
    I want to contact his dealer! :D

27. Jenya

Jenya Well-Known Member

At least Greece upgraded their selection show and aren't holding it in a mall this year. :lol:

28. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

:rofl:

Given it's already shaping up to be the worst Eurovision in many years, this might as well win to add to all the WTFs.

That was an epic Eurovision moment and the best image of Greek crisis. A small stage in between two escalators in a shopping mall. :D

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  29. Eden

Eden Well-Known Member

Here are the first 10-semi finalists in the Israeli Kdam (pre ESC).
    Press on each picture to listen to each song.

The Kdam will be taking place between 26-28 of February.
    There will be 3 competitions with 10 songs in each one of them.
    The first 3 will go to the final Kdam.

On March 3 there will be another competition for 4th place winners, which will determine who will be the 10th finalist in Kdam.
    The Kdam will take place on March 7th.

Israel, takes the ESC very seriously this year.
    IMO, the goal is to make it to the finals in ESC.

30. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

That's great news, Eden. I don't remember them ever doing something as big. It's like Melodifestivalen. ^^

Just listening through all of them.

1-4 are generic boring ballads/mid-tempos. 1-2 are decent, 3-4 are quite awful.

5 is a fun Euro-trash track. My favourite!

6 is an ethno-banger sung by Frodo. So so.

7 is just... She sounds like a wailing sheep in the chorus and it's the recorded version! Jesus Christ.

8 another generic ballad but she seems to have a decent voice.

9 now finally some fun again. Choruses are so so but then you get a Calvin Harris wannabe synth hook and it all picks up.

10 judging from the picture I expected this to be like Ravaillacs but it's another euro trash banger with an ethnic twist. Wheeee! It's pretty terrible but not boring at least.

I hope 5, 9 and 10 qualify but people will probably vote for the boring ballads. :p

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.