Eurovision 2013: How Euphoric!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by victoriaheidi, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Ok, well, I had to think of something for the title. :p

We're just barely one day out to the start of Eurovision madness. Belarus is holding its National Final on December 7th!

Other interesting development: This year, the performance order will be picked by the producers, rather than through a draw. I have really mixed feelings about this. It could lead to $$ going into who gets which spot for better chances of success or whatnot. Or it could be fine and we may all think the producer-picked order is perfect. Who knows at this point?

And, just to make life easier for everyone, here's a list of National Final dates (thus far):
    December 7: Belarus
    December 15: Switzerland
    December 16: Belgium (song; artist already selected)
    December 20: Lithuania
    December 22: Albania
    December 23: Ukraine
    January 26: Denmark
    February 2: Iceland, Malta
    February 9: Finland, Norway
    February 14: Germany
    February 15: Austria
    February 16: Latvia
    February 22: Ireland
    March 2: Estonia
    March 3: Serbia
    March 9: Sweden

Macedonia will select in December; The Netherlands have their artist, but will not select the song until February.

Unknown National Final Dates w/Confirmed Participation: Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Georgia, Hungry, Israel, Moldova, Montenegro, Romania, Russia, San Marino, Slovenia, Turkey, France, Italy, UK
    Source

:) Yay! Time to talk Eurovision again...how I missed it for 6 and a half months!

2. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

Poland and Portugal are out for next year apparently as well.

3. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

Oh lawsey! It's that time already?!

4. shah

shah Shhh...

Bosnia and Herzegovina, Slovakia and, to my great surprise, Turkey are also out.
    Turkish national broadcaster claims the current 50/50 voting system is unfair and favours the Big 5 countries. well, quite a controversial statement...

5. shah

shah Shhh...

as for Poland, Polish TV gave no reason for withdrawal. most probably it's lack of money and lack of motivation to participate. I am not surprised, the level of the competition in the last few years was ridiculously bad - singers/bands unknown even to the audience, crap songs, no resources to promote the entries. I'm rather pessimistic about 2014...

6. allezfred

Bosnia & Herzegovina and Turkey being out is a huge surprise! :eek:

Meanwhile, Switzerland have chosen their entry and it's a bit controversial.

7. shah

shah Shhh...

love this quote: "There have also been reports Greece and Cyrus may also withdraw."
    Miley planned to be at the ESC 2013? ;)

btw, Belarus and Belgium also chose their entries. well, the quality of the songs so far is rather questionable...

8. Reuven

Hmmmm....and so the meh begins...

9. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

At least here in Finland, the Salvation Army is against gay rights - that was the reason I stopped funding them, even though they otherwise do good work. So them an Eurovison song contest are a bit controversial indeed.

10. allezfred

Same here. Kind of wonder why they thought it would be a good idea to enter Eurovision. :confused: :lol:

11. shah

shah Shhh...

12. shah

shah Shhh...

btw, it's a shame Lithuania did not choose this. I know, my taste in music is strange :p...

13. Reuven

Apparently the ability to sing is no longer a prerequisite? and Ukraine seems like they’ve hit upon a new style where the back-up “singers” are in a different key?

14. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Ugh, my favorite song in the Lithuanian final was "Loreen." Oh well.

Nothing really stands out as "potential Eurovision superstar" yet. Also, I'm really wondering why so many people want those techno songs that really only sound good when recorded. Eurovision is a live show; save the techno for the clubs.

15. allezfred

What happens in Eurovision is that if an uptempo numbers wins the year after we get lots of uptempo numbers. And then a ballad wins and the same thing happens the following year. :p

16. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Wow I can't believe what a total mess it's turning out to be so far...

Turkey's withdrawal is huge. They always took Eurovision seriously and consistently placed well. That comment about the voting system favouring top 5 countries is complete bullshit.

The quality of the songs chosen so far is just abysmal. Ukraine in particular is a totally ridiculous racket.

17. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Only watched it now. Amazing, kooky electro! A real shame indeed.

18. Eden

Eden Well-Known Member

ITA,IMO the current voting system actually gives Turkey a huge advantage because of the Turkish immigrants, who live in Europe and automatically support Turkey's songs.

19. 4rkidz

4rkidz plotting, planning and travelling

I always find it comforting to read the eurovision thread page as was always a significant part of my childhood in England watching it on TV and seeing who would win. My favourite was when ABBA was in it.. but also liked other years as well..

20. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

I'm kind of sad with Eurovision this year...it's not the fun it usually is because there's legitimately very little there this time around! Come on, everyone who hasn't picked--time to pick some awesome music! Preferably something voidy :D

21. allezfred

Actually, I can't remember a year when this many songs have been picked this early. It used to be just Albania most years.

Back in the day, most countries would pick their songs late February/March and then the final would be six weeks later. :lol:

22. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

Yay, tone deafness galore began!

Ukraine: starts a bit off key, but then gets back. Wow, she can shout. Not sure she can sing though. She borrowed the dress from Jenna VDP, right?

Albania: I was waiting for the guy with the guitar to start singing but he never did. His guitar solo is quite impressive though. Do they HAVE sing in the europvision? Is vocal a must? They should ditch the singing ,especially the guitar guy's

Lithuania: Started well, but whenever he gets to the deep notes he is all over the place (FWIW he is singing he is falling apart. Indeed he does). The music is catchy, wish they had catchy lyrics as well.

Belgium: Sandhu? Oh... well... why he insists finishing every phrase with a note he can't hit???

Belarus: I'm sure there was a song somewhere, it just escaped me completely

23. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

39 countries are confirmed to take part. Bosnia and Herzegovina, Slovakia and Portugal decided to withdraw for financial reasons. I wonder whether Turkey's real reasons (obviously that excuse is just bullshit) are also financial or maybe political?

EBU has told Switzerland that it won't accept them to enter an artist using a name of a religious organisation (Salvation Army) and wearing their uniforms. There's an impasse at the moment. Salvation Army was initially throwing a tantrum and threatening to quit but then saying that they hope some solution can be worked out.

Speaking of Switzerland, first Eurovision winner Lyn Assia tried her luck again for Switzerland with this piece of shit. Didn't even make the final, thank god.

10 artists will battle it out to represent Germany and there's some major, successful recording artists in the list. Very successful peddlers of lowest-common denominator dance crap Cascada will take part (and probably win :/) with "Glorious".

I still can't get over Gerai Gerai and Miss Sheep not winning the Lithuanian final (they came 2nd). :(

Moldavia will have two contests. One for the song and one for the singer.

Aleksandr Lukashenko, I mean Belarussan TV :p has decided to replace that godawful song with a new one. In his own words: "They took the money and brought no results" (speaking about Litesound) so from this year the winner of the contest will have to cover most of the costs.

Spain will be represented by El SueƱo de Morfeo who will present four songs and one of them will be chosen 50/50 by the jury and the public.

Lozano (Vlatko Lozanoski) will represent Macedonia together with Esma Redzepova (70-year old Gypsy music legend). The song is yet to be picked.

Montenegro will be represented by a hip hop duo Who See. Hopefully with something as inane as "Euro Neuro". :D

Albanian communist era style music festival was won by "Identitet" by Adrian Lulgjuraj & Bledar Sejko. There's already accusations of plagiarism, refuted by the artists. The song is supposed to be heavily changed (as usual for Albania) before Eurovision.

Greece seems quite desperate. They asked Helena Paparizou to take part but she's refused. Greek National TV channel has given the organisation of the national selection up to a private tv channel Mad TV who promises a lot of changes, blah blah blah.

Azerbeijan national selection will last every day for eight weeks (!!!). :lol: Vast majority is karoke style performances of course.

Kazakhstan looks set to join EBU and would become eligible to enter Eurovision starting in 2014.

Some changes to the contest itself. It will last a day less and media center will open later. First rehearsals are going to be behind closed doors. All cost saving measures sold as making everything less about "bigger, louder, more flashy" and more "intimate". :p

The most controversial change is the song order not being chosen by random draw but hand picked by the Swedish producer in order to "provide the best show". Whilst on the one hand, it does make sense, it's just opening a huge pandora's box and asking for massive drama, to be honest.

24. FarFarAway

FarFarAway Choice is an illusion

Ah, Cascada!

When I first saw her video on MCM Top I had a thought cross my mind that she is just the right type for the Eurovision :D

25. allezfred

26. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

cute:)

27. shah

shah Shhh...

Ziggy, as for Cascada - I doubt whether she'll win. I don't think she is able to sing live :p.

And I agree about Lithuanian song - Gerai Gerai & Miss Sheep were sooo underrated :(...

28. allezfred

Semi-final allocation:

29. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

The logo is fantastic! :)

Swedes have already showed how awesome they are by holding a very well organised and efficient presentation + semi-final draw with no glitches happening (unlike in recent years).

It's even more annoying because they've actually won the public vote but stupid boring jury... :/

30. Reuven

How does Bulgaria alway wind up in semi 2? :drama:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.