Eurovision 2010

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by poths, Jan 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poths

poths Well-Known Member

Have Sweden started they Melody festival thing?

As far as I can make out, that really naff band A1 are going to try represent Norway. Wasn't one of them on Celeb Big brother last year?

Remember when they had a number one with THIS???

What's the general scoop. :D

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  2. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

Surely you mean Norway? :shuffle:

3. poths

poths Well-Known Member

Oh shut it ;)

What's the deal? Anything of note? ::rollin:

4. allezfred

Albania have selected somebody called Juliana Pasha. :drama:

Belgium are sending their own X Factor also-ran, a guy called Tom Dice.

Bulgaria, in order to avoid a repeat of last year's entry :wuzrobbed, have selected somebody called Miro (real name Miroslav Kostadinov - wonder if he's related to Stefka ;) ).

Israel are sending Harel Skaat. Cue the jokes about the surname.

Netherlands have chosen a song called "Ik ben verliefd (Sha-la-lie)", "I'm In Love (Sha-la-lie)" :scream: written by Pierre Kartner (aka Father Abraham). He wrote "The Smurf Song". Sounds like a winner to me. :p

Norway, as you mentioned, are about to start their national selection process which will include boyband A1 and Maria Haukaas Storeng (finished 5th for Norway in Belgrade 2008).

Switzerland will be represented by Michael von der Heide singing "Il Pleut De L'or" (Golden Rain). :eek: Again plenty of lewd puns possible there. :cheer2:

Turkey are rumoured to have chosen a popular group called maNga after a poll was commissioned to ask the Turkish public who they would like to send to Oslo. Now why can't we do something like that in Ireland...

Ukraine have chosen Vasiliy Lazarovich as their performer.

UK are rumoured to be doing another Your Country Needs You (Spain are also using the format) with Gary Barlow as this year's Andrew Lloyd Webber.

Other countries will be selecting in a variety of formats over the coming months.

Andorra, Czech Republic, Hungary and Montenegro are all not entering this year.

50/50 televoting/jury votes will be used in the semis (25 and 27 May) as well as again in the final (29 May) this year.

5. poths

poths Well-Known Member

Loads of info. Wheeeeeeee for Stefka Kostodinova post sex change! :cheer:

6. shah

shah Shhh...

wheee, I soooo waited for this thread to begin :respec:

I listened to the Albanian entry and to be honest found it disastrous...still didn't listen to "Golden Rain", but I'm scared just a little bit :p.

as for the possible Polish entry - there will be 10 songs to choose from (9 already revealed, we are waiting for a wild card). the final will take place on Feb 14. (how romantic...). I listened to all these songs and I'm sure we won't win again (even the entry to the final...).
    however, poths may like this little gem :p

7. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

It's only one of two threads I subscribe to! Wheeeee!

8. HisWeirness

HisWeirness Happy Russian Hunger Games!

:biggrinbo :watch: :cheer2: :inavoid:

Please keep the previews coming! :D Sequins! Tight pants! Wind machines! Whee!

9. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

This is no laughing matter! The decision went all the way to the Knesset, where some of our worthy politicians debated whether the selection process had been improper and possibly corrupt. I know that at least one of them also claimed that musicians of Russian ancestry had been discriminated against :drama:.

So, should we say that Israeli MKs have their priorities in order? :lol:

Eden and (deleted member) like this.
  10. allezfred

Yes! :cheer2: :lol:

11. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

The Finnish selection process starts today. We have three semifinals, and the final is 30.1. You can listen the candidates in euroviisut.yle.fi
    The site is only in Finnish, sorry. PM me if you need some help.

My vote goes to Eläkeläiset, feel free to :lynch: me. All my friends agree that my music taste is horrible. And I know that drunken humppa is not really Eurovision-song-contest-type music.

But let the :drama: and :glamor: begin!:rollin:

12. sweetsparky

sweetsparky Pasodoble is coming

Nooooooooo! Who will (gift) give us 12 points now? :drama:

Spanish RTVE has just opened a process for receiving candidates to select internally the song, let´s say they sound quite desperados (Your country needs you! (to keep the last place and shame us all) Do it for your country!)

13. mila19

mila19 New Member

Albania, of course! :encore:
    I'm :eek: to acknowledge about who's gonna represent Albania by reading this thread. Shame on me! I shall throw ashes over my head :drama:

Anyways, she's over the top and people are snarking her song is too similar to Aguilera's "Keeps getting better". I thought it had also some Britney "Womanizer" especially at the beginning :eek:
    But WHEEE for the Marielle Matthieu on peroxide hairdo! :cheer:
    PML at the Golden Rain :rofl:

sweetsparky and (deleted member) like this.
  14. sweetsparky

sweetsparky Pasodoble is coming

Wheeee :cheer2:

Help us Albania; You are our only hope! :drama:

Well, it had to keep better until reaching Eurovision, land of the thousand (musical) borrowings :rockstar:

15. SHARPIE

SHARPIE Hapless Board Owner Staff Member

When is Eurovision this year? I feel I should come to Dublin as having a small Eurovision get together here last year resulted in a :nopryde: friend who as a result of that is due to have her first baby in 2 weeks! (I got all the blame! PML!) :D

She's not buying the Eurovision themed names though (It's a girl) :wuzrobbed

16. Jackie Sparrow

Jackie Sparrow Well-Known Member

Sounds like a great plan. Fred, make a reservation for the suite at Clarence!

17. poths

poths Well-Known Member

We could actually book a hotel and void for a weekend. :lol: I'm down for that!!! :cheer:

18. Jackie Sparrow

19. Reuven

Hmmmm. Sounds like a classic Eurovision song. Can he get airborne with those ears? ;)

20. Jackie Sparrow

A step in the right direction, non? :D
    Yes, I'm not supposed to reveal this, but that's gonna be a special effect during the performance...

21. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

Uhhh! I wasn't aware of a Eurovision thread!

:cool:

Oh, how I was a huge fan of Eurovision.

:shuffle:

The Portuguese selection (Festival da Canção) will be on March 6th.

:D

22. Reuven

Welcome! :)

23. Nmsis

Nmsis Well-Known Member

Unfortunatly, the lyrics are bad (and I mean :yikes: BAD).
    That isn't going to help for the people who can actually understand them. :shuffle:

Not much news coming from France.
    It will be an internal choice from France 3.
    It should be revealed at some point in March (but last year, it leaked in January).
    It shouldn't be a novice, rather a big name, to attract french viewers.
    Like last year, people are talking about Chritophe Maé or Christophe Willem (both would be equally surprising but Patricia Kaas' acceptance was completly unexpected as well, so ...)
    I don't care about Maé (he's cute and not bad) but Willem would be great. He's not a cutie but he's fun, creative and a real pleasure to listen to on stage.
    (Actually, the other one I'd like to see is Stanislas)
    Bruno Berbères who is one of the persons in charge of the selection says he would like a song on which one could dance at the euroclub. Willem would fit perfectly.

24. allezfred

There were rumours of David Guetta being involved, but Christophe Willem's name is the one that has come up the most on Eurovision boards. Perhaps Guetta could be the songwriter?

25. poths

poths Well-Known Member

"When love takes overrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Eh yeah eee yeah..."

26. Nmsis

Nmsis Well-Known Member

If Guetta is involved with Willem being the singer, it will be to work on the arrangements. Since France3 has decided to present "real" singers at Eurovision, the chosen song has always come from the latest album of those singers, possibly re-arranged a bit.

27. allezfred

28. Finnice

The Finnish final is in tv now. Most of the songs are really :huh::blah::yawn:
    I´ll let you know which the Finnish entry is, anyway...

29. Finnice

The Finnish competitor is Kuunkuiskaajat with the song "Työlki ellää". The name of the band means "The Moon Whisperers", and the title is Finnish dialect, meaning you can afford living by working.

It a kind of a folk song, surely suitable for this season´s OD. I´ll try to post the link with the help of younger little Finnice (15 years).

30. Finnice

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.