EU set to ban ALL Import and sale of animal tested products on March 11, 2013

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by topaz, Feb 2, 2013.

1. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

http://www.examiner.com/article/european-union-is-set-to-ban-animal-testing-for-cosmetics

http://www.crueltyfreeinternational.org/en/a/EU-set-to-ban-animal-testing-for-cosmetics-forever-news

The ban would affect all cosmetics, including toiletries, makeup, soaps and even toothpaste. The EU is following Israel who already has this in place.

This is BIG & Great news!

2. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

3. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

4. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

This is indeed huge, especially considering that so many global cosmetic brands are made in Europe. Thank you, EU. :respec:

5. kosjenka

kosjenka Well-Known Member

interesting, considering how many brands have their products tested in order to sell in China... oh, I forgot! That is something chinese government does!

6. DAngel

DAngel Active Member

China is big on consumer safety? I thought that's USA and Japan... :confused:

7. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Well-Known Member

There is NO consumer safety in the US, IMHO - having lived in the US and Denmark. Most EU countries has way higher standards (US relies on post-problems lawsuits to keep companies in line).

The EU is much better at protecting the consumer and demanding labeling, for instance (such as GMO labeling etc). I see this as another step, and a great one.

There should be no need to test cosmetics on animals, as far as I know you can use synthetic materials to see if eye make up will bother the eye, for instance.

8. kosjenka

kosjenka Well-Known Member

I am against animal testing from cosmetics simply because there has not been any new ingredients in makeup in years. What's the point of testing on animals?

9. DAngel

DAngel Active Member

What about the CPSC?

Not that I'm for animal testing.... I just thought it's weird that China cares that much about consumer safety when their products are known to be... somewhat unreliable... :shuffle:

10. Evilynn

Evilynn ((Swedish skating dudes))

Wow, I'm shocked (in a good way!). :eek: I thought they'd just postpone it again as they have the past 10 years. Not sure what all the brands who started selling in China will do (I'm still :mad: about MAC). Perhaps the products that aren't tested at all will be sold in the EU and the ones that are (mascara, mostly, IIRC?) will stay banned. There goes huge chunks of the perfume market and a lot of make up brands as well and L'Oréal must be fuming!

11. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I believe Israel has passed this law but it will not go into effect for another year or two.

It's still great news, though! :)

12. Peaches LaTour

Peaches LaTour Well-Known Member

Excellent news, indeed!

Lola, my cat, is happy about it, too. :D

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  13. elka_sk8

elka_sk8 Well-Known Member

Exactly! Wish the US would follow suit.