Ethics question

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by mikey, Jan 25, 2011.

1. mkats

mkats New Member

Oh no, no, no, thank goodness. I was just pointing out that antibiotics can interfere with coumadin, as well. :) (or maybe that isn't really the right smiley :lol: )

2. Prancer

Prancer Dysteleological Staff Member

I can't speak for her, but I think agalisgv was actually asking what the rationale was for making antibiotics OTC in some places, not asking for the rationale for why we don't in the US :).

The same problems would exist elsewhere, after all.

agalisgv and (deleted member) like this.
  3. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

^^^Yes, thank you :)

4. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

I think in this case, I find it unethical for a friend to prescribe meds.

Small towns it is unavoidable to have a friend/ family member etc be a prescribing doctor but in this case, that is not the issue.

5. mikey

mikey ...an acquired taste

This particular situation is both unethical (because it occurred outside of an established doctor-patient relationship, and I am sure there is not documentation in the patient's chart regarding the patient encounter) AND illegal (because it is a violation of the Texas Dental Practice Act, which states that a dentist can only prescribe medications that directly pertain to dental practice- upper respiratory infections and/or pneumonia do not qualify).

However, I am equally at fault because I haven't done anything about it. The people involved are a friend's boss and her dentist friend. My friend asked that I drop the issue because it could affect his job and because I shouldn't know about the situation in the first place. What I should do is report the case to the state dental board- there would likely be a fine involved, as well as a mandate for the dentist to complete extra ethics training under supervision.

6. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Honestly, it depends on the drug. My friend, who is an OB/GYN with extensive familiarity with a particular autoimmune condition I have (it can create a very high-risk pregnancy, which hasn't been an issue for me yet as I've never been pregnant, but she's treated several patients with it) would probably write, say, a birth-control refill or prednisone scrip for me--she knows my history, she knows what I would have either for (no, the BC in my case isn't necessarily for the primary reason you'd think!) OTOH, if I asked for Cipro or Vicodin or some such, she'd say no and want to know what the heck I was doing. (Not that I would ask for either--I have to be practically browbeaten or in total agony to take an Advil, and I have actually been on Cipro once and it gives me headaches. I'd have to be exposed to anthrax before I'd take it again.)

7. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

There is no depends if the action is illegal.

Also, ethics in anyone's respective field is IMHO, non negiotiable. I also think their is no grey area (except in the small town scenario that I gave). If someone can go to a walk in clinic or personal GP for a rx then they should. Why compromise the integrity of a friend for something like this? (even if the general view is it is no big deal??)

8. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I remember penicillin being available OTC in the old country. Not sure if it's still the case. I can't say about the presence or absence of superbugs there as such data would have been suppressed if it existed. As to rationale, again I am not sure there was any rationale behind this (as in strong scientific evidence). A lot of things in medicine are based on tradition. It is a mistake to assume that every single aspect of medical practice is based on solid research.