ESPN Fail: Bradley hasn't been to Worlds since 07 and Scott Miner is going

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by ryanbfan, Feb 3, 2011.

1. ryanbfan

ryanbfan New Member

Source: http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/figureskating/columns/story?columnist=ford_bonnie_d&id=6077110

FACT CHECK. PLEASE. IT TAKES LIKE 2 SECONDS VIA GOOGLE. OR EVEN WIKIPEDIA. FOR CRYING OUT LOUD.

And who in the hell is Scott Miner and what did USFSA do to Ross Miner?

:confused:

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  2. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Why so serious ?

3. ryanbfan

ryanbfan New Member

I'm being completely sarcastic. ;)

But people not fact checking, that bugs me.

4. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

Me, too.

5. loopey

loopey Well-Known Member

It's not just "people" not fact checking, it's a journalist. If it were someone walking around the mall, it's one thing, but to "cover" a sport and not know the names of the winners is a bit ridiculous.

Her email is on the bottom of the article. I suggest FSU skating fans let her know what happens when she disses one of our own. :D

6. ryanbfan

ryanbfan New Member

I'm sorry, I meant the Journalist.

7. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

I just sent her an email pointing out five errors in that article.

8. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

I usually will try and send polite email corrections to sports journalists if I spot errors in their articles. I keep in mind that that the majority of regular sports journalists that cover a multitude of sports are going to make the careless errors every now and then, especially if they are writing on tight deadlines.

This part of the sentence in Ford's article is incorrect because Bradley has been listed all season in the Team B funding envelope on the USFS site. Ford probably meant to write that he declined to be submitted for Grand Prix assignments last fall due to his recuperation from foot surgery.

This is a picky correction. :D

9. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

All my corrections were picky. But a good journalist checks facts. Like ryanbfan said, it doesn't take that long. The five errors I pointed out could have been avoided had she spent 10-15 minutes (tops) checking.

10. DreamSkates

DreamSkates New Member

Who cares about the mistakes - I'm just excited they are going, and Bradley has some experience in international competitions - I wish him the best. And for sports writers making small errors, the average person won't notice the first name is wrong, at least the writer got the last names correct. Yes, send a courteous email.

11. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

It's inexcusable for a journalist to make such blatant errors in a published article. Like you said, it only takes a few seconds to check facts.

12. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Post deleted

Last edited: Feb 5, 2011
  13. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

You are too generous or too forgiving. These people get paid to write. It's their duty to make sure they give out correct information. You think it's OK because an average person won't even notice? A wrong first name is just a "small error"? If I was that skater, I would be furious that they did not get my name correct. If I were Bradley, I would be upset that she did not mention that I went to worlds in 2010.

14. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

How old are you? 12?

15. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

Scott Miner . . . doesn't he skate with that girl, Tessa Rochette?

16. ryanbfan

ryanbfan New Member

Funny you say that, on some blog a lot of people were saying Scott Miner is the evil hybrid of Scott Moir.

17. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

Re mistakes - if this was an article on football, baseball, basketball or hockey, would there be mistakes. I seem to notice more errors in general in skating articles than the top sports. I don't have stats, just something I notice.

18. burntBREAD

burntBREAD Active Member

I mean, even NBC has made mistakes, I remember Tracy Wilson saying before the Ladies' FS last weekend that "Mirai Nagasu has never won a title when she has won the short program" -- completely ignoring the fact that she won the short programs when she won her senior (and junior) national titles... :eek:

19. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

I think that it depends upon your focus. I notice errors in skating, but also notice numerous errors when reporting on my college football team. I've sent emails to espn whenever I see them.

I agree that all journalists should check their facts, but with the "need to get a story out now" media mentality, the facts are not checked as completely as the need to be.

20. literaryfreak

literaryfreak Well-Known Member

:lol: Rochette/Miner, Olympic Gold Medalists in ice dance!

21. Triple Butz

Triple Butz Well-Known Member

nono, I'm pretty sure they skate pairs. :slinkaway

22. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

I bet ROSS Miner noticed they didn't get his name right and all his family and friends too. It's his big moment and ESPN screws it up because they can't copy a simple name from the press release announcing the winners? That's pretty lame on their part.

23. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Bonnie Ford tweeted a public apology to Ross for getting his name wrong.

24. loopey

loopey Well-Known Member

I sent her an email explaining the error. I wasn't rude or anything, but I did mention that it was an error bound to make Ross if not anyone else feel bad.

She answered my email, with an apology and promised to correct the error. She didn't mention she was gonna tweet, but that is awesome. :respec:

25. cheriepopo

cheriepopo New Member

in my country I never trust those journalists who covers/writes about this sport to really know it or/and to do the check. I used to read articles like "Mao Asada won her first world title with a quad", "Plushenko's THROW quad", and "Johnny Weiss".

26. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

Aw, that was sweet.

27. Rottie

Rottie Well-Known Member

Publications should have copy desks with copy editors who do the 10 minutes of fact-checking before an article is published. However, my understanding is that these positions have been cut right and left as print and online publishing venues seek profitability. :(

28. ArtisticFan

ArtisticFan Well-Known Member

Copy editors are quickly becoming a thing of the past. Publications are combining that function with other jobs, including HR functions within the news room.

Yes, this reporter should have fact checked before submitting the article. I wouldn't agree that wikipedia is the way to go, but there are other sources out there that do have the correct information.

Someone brought up fewer errors in football, baseball and basketball articles. That is very true, but sports reporters are hired on their ability to write those types of articles. They are required to write about other sporting events, but few are ever screened for their ability to do that. The office I work in now is hiring a sports writer for public relations purposes. Those three sports are all these guys know. One of them will be hired despite the fact that we have 12 different sports available to our students. If I only knew three areas of my job I'd be out of luck, but we're supposed to consider ourselves lucky that one of these guys knows 3 out of 12.

29. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

Tara finished 15th at worlds then won the next year. I'm not saying Ryan will do the same, but 15th place one year doesn't mean anything in another year.

30. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

The reporter is probably looking at it more from the angle that Bradley is in his 8th season as a senior international competitor and that if he hasn't won the love of international judges or calmed his competitive nerves by now, that it's very unlikely for him to suddenly do so now. Lipinski was only in her 1st season as a senior competitor when her 15th place Worlds occurred. Ryan's 2 trips to Worlds (15th and 18th place) out of 7 seasons as a senior international competitor paints quite a different picture.