ESPN docum on Tonya-Nancy: 20 Years After on Thurs, Jan 16

Discussion in 'TV ALERTS' started by Frau Muller, Jan 14, 2014.

1. heckles

heckles Well-Known Member

I think Nancy realizes that Tonya already makes herself look like a nutjob. No work required on Nancy's part.

2. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

so is Tonya a lumberjack now? I guess the tru-tv gig(the dumbest series)doesn't pay the bill?

3. neptune

neptune Well-Known Member

OK, centerstage01, looks like the documentary is showing up on YouTube!!! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fcgCCocQrc

That's part 2 (of 7). I can't seem to find part 1, though. Anyone who finds it can post the link. Also, the quality of the video isn't that great, but who cares, I guess. ;)

4. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

No we learn calculus in High school. Algebra in jr high.

5. neptune

Tsk tsk--those poor kids are falling behind then!! ;)

Years ago, I had a couple of roommates from Taiwan and one from Japan. It was sad when they described to me how intense their studying was even as youngsters. And Terry, my roommate from Japan, told me that starting when kids are about 3, the goal in Japan is to get them into a great pre-school, which will then get them into a great kindergarten, which will then.... :rolleyes: I mean, what kind of childhood is that??? Sounds more like a pulverizing treadmill to me.

6. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

sounds like the US to me. Especially middle-class pre-crash US.

I knew of Michelangelo before 15 too, plus I'm pretty sure one has to legally go to school until 16 in the US still.

But nobody know everything. The other day I had no clue who was pictured in some fb meme and I had to be told it was kardashian and bieber. Lol I was clueless.

7. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

Thank you! :)

ETA: Here's part one, I think!

8. neptune

Does it? If so, I'm sorry the U.S. is turning into that. It was never that way years ago.

What crash are you referring to?

A lot of kids do, but there was probably little if any reading done in Tonya's household, so it wasn't likely that she was exposed to art of any kind.

I found this statement about her: "[Harding] dropped out of school briefly in eighth grade, re-enrolled and then dropped out for good her sophomore year in high school."

Well, I seriously doubt anyone 400 years from now will remember Kardashian or Bieber. ;)

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  9. neptune

You're welcome. And thanks for finding Part 1. :)

10. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

In the 90's, you didn't even need a good education to know who Michaelangelo was. Anyone who watched Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles knew the turtles were named after Italian Renaissance figures.

jamesy and (deleted member) like this.
  11. nikjil

nikjil Active Member

Anyone know if one of the NBC networks is going to rebroadcast this? I had it set up to DVR and for some reasons it didn't record.

12. Johnny_Fever

Johnny_Fever Well-Known Member

If the others team members went to the Vatican, it was only because they didn't want to appear ungrateful. Frankly, I can't picture any of them caring about culture.

13. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

You can't picture, say, Brian Boitano caring about Italian history and culture? :huh:

14. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

OT, I lurved his Cooking Channel special.

15. Johnny_Fever

Well okay. Maybe Brian.

16. neptune

I was thinking a bit more about Nancy's claim that she was merely complaining about having to wear her medal. (Incidentally, I did find that Usenet post I was talking about, and can post a link here if anyone is interested.)

Anyway, apparently this is what she said:

This is dumb. I hate it. This is the most corniest thing I have ever done.

1) This wasn't the first time Nancy won an Olympic medal. She had also won the bronze in Albertville. Didn't they have a parade for her in Stoneham afterward or something like that? Did she have to wear the medal there? It seems likely that she had to wear her bronze medal in public somewhere in '92. So, if she was really complaining about having to wear her silver medal, why would wearing her silver in '94 have been cornier than wearing her bronze in '92?

2) Hundreds or even thousands of U.S. Olympic medalists have no doubt worn their medals in public right after the Olympics. In fact, many might have even felt proud to do so. So, why would Nancy have viewed wearing her medal in a parade as the corniest thing she's ever done? Wearing it to the grocery store, maybe. ;) But in a parade where she's being honored?

3) Marching with goofy Disney characters probably would seem corny for many adults. So, it makes much more sense that she would have found such an experience to be incredibly corny and dumb than simply wearing her silver medal.

17. Johnny_Fever

Nancy was already seeing her future husband/manager at the time. I'm surprised that he never told her what she should and shouldn't say in public. She would have a lot more money now if she hadn't made mistakes like that.

18. neptune

Maybe he wasn't that PR-savvy either. If he had been, at the very least, he would have waited until his second divorce was final before he started dating her.

Yeah, and don't think that Jerry doesn't think about that now. :lol:

But you know, that's the problem with being famous and wealthy. How do you ever know if you have any real relationships? That the people who are around you honestly like you for yourself, and that they would still be there if your money or good fame went away? The thing is, you don't. So, the next time you're tempted to envy the famous and wealthy, just think about that, and you may even start to feel sorry for them. ;) I mean, if you have a big bank account but no real relationships, that sounds like a very shallow kind of "wealth."

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  19. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

In Nancy's defense. she said that her earliest coach told her that it was not appropriate to "show off"/boast about her success; so, she never felt comfortable wearing her medals or displaying awards.
    She always stored them away,

20. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

Found this in Great Skate Debate forum:

It's broken into seven parts; thanks skateindreams! :)

21. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

I knew who Michelangelo was when I was in elementary school. Tonya's probably had the equivalent of a 3rd grade education, although IIRC she got a GED.

22. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

I suspect that Paul Wylie, for one, was very interested. And I'm sure several of them were Catholic and would not miss such an opportunity.

23. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

It seems to me many skaters enjoy sight seeing when they travel for competitions. Even if they don't care much about the culture behind it, Vatican City is a "been there, seen that" destination for many people.

24. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

How would you know?

25. Johnny_Fever

I could live with that just fine.

I'm impressed that you remember stuff from elementary school. I tuned out that part of my life.

Yes, Wylie is one of those rare educated skaters.

The skaters I grew up with were more into Sin City than Vatican City.

26. neptune

I can understand that. But how does this explain why wearing her silver medal in '94 would have been "cornier" than wearing her bronze medal in '92? Also, I have difficulty believing that Nancy wouldn't have found riding with silly Disney characters "cornier" than having to wear an extremely prestigious medal. :)

I mean, she sure didn't have any problems boasting on camera about how perfectly she skated while Oksana made mistakes:

I was flawless. I didn't have any touch-downs. I didn't make a mistake. I was clean. Oksana wasn't clean. She two-footed two jumps....I skated great. ;)

27. neptune

Well, it may seem that way now, but you might never know how that situation would feel unless it happened to you. Studies by psychologists have repeatedly shown that it is not great wealth that brings happiness. And there are a lot of lonely, miserable wealthy people out there. Here's something to chew on:

"Materialism is toxic for happiness," says University of Illinois psychologist Ed Diener. Even rich materialists aren't as happy as those who care less about getting and spending.

:lol:

It's kind of interesting how athletes get so much reverence--far more than they probably should. I mean, don't me wrong--I respect all their hard work and stuff. But they're not necessarily good role models. How many people are ever going to achieve international acclaim in skating? Not many. So, in terms of life skills, I think getting a good education is just as admirable as all this flashy stuff we see from athletes.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  28. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

I doubt it. Nancy always suffered from Ashley Wagner disease yet she's very, very rich. I'll never forget the one time, after she was married, she looked right into the tv camera and told us all after a poor skate in a pro comp that she got paid the same no matter how she skated, so there was no real incentive for her to skate well. My jaw nearly hit the floor.:lol: Yet she got invited back to like 1,000 more events and got paid very handsomely for each one.

So, not only has the sport always sorta tolerated people who tell it like it is without any sugar coating, and tonya's whole "Nancy was a princess" whine is total bs, because hello, we were there, girl was no princess, but the Disney medal debacle was something no one could have prepared for. It was only because tonya had her whacked that anyone was even listening or bothered to make a tempest in a pot of tea over her snide comment. Heck, she could have run over a basket of puppies with her post-albertville parade float and nobody would have blinked an eye. But after the knee whack, girl couldn't pick up dry cleaning without it being front page news. The skating world was very unprepared for rock star status.

29. neptune

Here's something interesting. Perhaps Nancy is telling the truth after all about her comments at the Disney parade.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...ater-nancy-kerrigan-mickey-mouse-disney-world

-----------------------------------
    Last week, the publicity office went so far as to offer the unedited videotape of the parade to prove Kerrigan was the victim of character assassination.

The tape starts with a weary and wary Kerrigan nodding at the camera and asking who is filming her, then acting unnerved when told her appearance will be sent by satellite across the country.

But as the parade starts, Kerrigan seems more comfortable - smiling, laughing, waving, reaching out to accept a flower from a fan.
    Then she looks down, saying, ''No, I don't want to.''

The camera pulls back to reveal her talking to her mother, who is proffering the silver medal.

At the insistence of her mother and Mickey Mouse, Kerrigan reluctantly puts on the medal, the whole time protesting that showing off her medal in the parade is ''the most corny thing I've ever done.''

Edited, those comments seemed to be Kerrigan's criticism of the parade.

----------------------------------

It would be nice if we could actually see the footage described here for ourselves, but I have no reason to believe this article is being deceptive. I guess I just find it interesting how Nancy could consider wearing her silver medal in a parade to be "bragging," an opinion most observers would not share, whereas she was just fine about dissing Oksana's performance and trumpeting her own. ;) Perhaps we could call it "selective modesty." :lol:

30. mpal2

mpal2 Well-Known Member

I didn't think she was dissing Oksana's performance. Nancy made a snarky comment about her crying off her makeup which has more to do with the over dramatic personality type than skating performance. From what I remember Nancy was complimentary about Oksana's actual skating.