ESPN docum on Tonya-Nancy: 20 Years After on Thurs, Jan 16

Discussion in 'TV ALERTS' started by Frau Muller, Jan 14, 2014.

1. lawcat

lawcat Member

Yeah, Peggy's mom was no prize. I knew a woman who skated with her back in the day when she was training up to the Olympics, and she told me a story about how Peggy's mom whacked her over the head with her skate guards for making some sort of mistake. Obviously, all hearsay but the woman I spoke to had no reason to make it up. I only caught the tail end of the program, but was very impressed with Nancy. She came across very well, and good for her.

2. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

^^^I guess it is a generational thing that fortunately is dying out. Spare the rod, spoil the child. Parents were a lot freer with their hands then. But to hit Peggy in the head with skate guards is simply cruel.

3. neptune

neptune Well-Known Member

Are you joking??? :eek: How many of their mothers were married 6 times, or were going to be reported to Child Protective Services if the coach hadn't intervened? And how many of them threw a knife at their daughter while drunk? Sorry, but the assertion that Tonya's mom was merely a "typical ott" skate mom just doesn't hold water IMO. Furthermore, how do you know that her mom loved her and had her best interests at heart??? Do you think all parents truly love their kids???

Have there been other abusive skate moms? Certainly. But Mrs. Harding seems to have been in a class by herself.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  4. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

Are you joking??? :eek:

Nope.

How many of their mothers were married 6 times, or were going to be reported to Child Protective Services if the coach hadn't intervened? And how many of them threw a knife at their daughter while drunk?

We have no idea what goes on in the privacy of these people's homes. None. All we know is that Tanya loves to make accusatiosn every chance she gets.

Sorry, but the assertion that Tonya's mom was merely a "typical ott" skate mom just doesn't hold water IMO. Furthermore, how do you know that her mom loved her and had her best interests at heart??? Do you think all parents truly love their kids???

We are all entitled to an opinion. All I know is that almost nothing of Tanya's chosen narrative makes sense. She's a pretty blonde, but Nancy was favored because she was pretty. She was forced to skate to *gasp* Mozart (I can't believe they let her say such a bad word on tv!) as if we didn't all see her win a nat title and a world silver skating to zz top. Even her choice to marry Jeff was all Lavonne's fault and the only reason she was freely living with him in 93-94 was because unnamed people in usfs forced her to. We know nothing of their home life beyond Lavonne always supported Tanya's insanely expensive skating hobby. Bitch! Monster!

Have there been other abusive skate moms? Certainly. But Mrs. Harding seems to have been in a class by herself.

it's not like it's a competition or anything. But seeing as everything in tanya's life is everyone's fault but hers, I'm not 100% convinced that in a narrative full of lies, exaggeration sand twisted facts, this is the one thing shes telling the truth about.

5. neptune

44. But who's counting? ;)

Not according to someone closely connected with the incident. Apparently that was Nancy's aunt's idea to help explain away her inept remarks, which really were what they seemed to be. I remember a post that gave all the details about that in rec.sport.skating.ice.figure many years ago. If you want, I could try to dig up that old post.

6. neptune

What does Mrs. Harding's having been married 6 times or another skater wanting to report her to Child Protective Services have to do with the privacy of someone's home? :huh:

I think anyone would agree that Tonya isn't always truthful. However, I can't think of anything she's said about her mother that sounds like an outright lie. As I said, another skater has stated that she wanted to report Tonya's mom to CPS, but the coach wouldn't let her. Are you saying that the other skater is lying too?

I believe there have been plenty of other witnesses to Tonya's mom's abusive behavior as well. I think that may have been mentioned in some other documentary about her. Besides, the fact that her coach had to intervene to keep her mother from being reported to CPS says it all IMO.

7. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

Moce-art, that is. She seems to think no one would ever like classical music.

Cheylana and (deleted member) like this.
  8. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

I wrote a whole reply that the computer ate, grr... But maybe it's better anyway. Tanya's story seems to hinge on 3 ideas: 1. Mom abused me, 2. This caused me to marry an abusive man and think it was ok, and 3. He attacked my friend with out telling me a word about it. At the end of the day, statement 3 is more. Important to me that 1 or 2, but it's lack of credibility does make me question 1 and 2 more. But truthfully, I'm less interested in proving 1. An exaggeration that expressing that I disagree with her that 1. Makes 2. Likely and understandable, and thiu easily leads to 3.

This is her core story.

Then there is aways all of this fluff surrounding it, nonsense about who was prettier, who had nicer dresses, who had a nicer house etc... Which IMHO only serves to provide motive for tonya to do it. So if 3. Is really true, why even bother bring all of this other stuff up. Which brings me back to why are we believing a word of this.

9. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

This...this will never be in a sentence with Tonya Harding's name in it. Not today.

10. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

The funny thing about Tonya dissing Mozart is that hardly anyone skates to his music. :lol: Maybe they did more often in those days, I don't remember. But I've often wished that more people would! Offhand, the only Mozart programs I can recall were by Fumie and Carolina (though I'm sure FSU's collective memory can probably come up with more).

Cheylana and (deleted member) like this.
  11. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

This speaks for me.

Tonya was the only person with the "insider" connections to allow the planning of the attack.
    Given that the attack might have incapacitated her for life, Nancy's attitude toward Tonya is remarkable.

12. snoopysnake

Is Tonya's mother still alive? I'm surprised that no one has interviewed her 20 years later.

If Tonya wants all this to go away, she can refuse to participate in the interviews when 21 years later, 25 years later, 62-7/8 years later, etc., come up. But she will probably have the dollar signs in her eyes for the rest of her life.

I thought the NBC program was quite well done, and I'm glad Nancy had a chance to give her take on all those who detracted her for crying and saying "Why?" moments after being whacked by a strong man with a metal baton. I wonder what they would say or do if they were in such pain, and simultaneously realizing that their Olympic dream could just have been broken.

I'll say this as proudly in the 2010's as I did in the 1990's: I LIKE NANCY KERRIGAN!

Yazmeen and (deleted member) like this.
  13. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

I've never heard that. Once they had been caught & the jig was up, all three of the men said that Tonya was the mastermind. They had already been sentenced so they had nothing to gain by throwing her under the bus. And the FBI thought Tonya was the mastermind. The information was aired at the time about the notes that were found in the trash.

The part about being blue collar & not wanting to wear "frou-frou" costumes was laughable. I've seen some plain skating dresses that really looked sharp but all of Tonya's were covered with sequins & showgirl crap. Maybe she meant that she didn't want to wear anything attractive.

14. Johnny_Fever

Johnny_Fever Well-Known Member

It occurred to me yesterday that the knee wacking might have given Nancy a psychological edge going into the Olympics. If your leg couldn't even bear weight a month ago, no one can expect you to perform at your best. It takes a lot of pressure off.

15. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

I had my DVR set to record this but apparently NBC or AT&T Uverse or my DVR had other ideas because when I got home the show hadn't recorded for whatever reason. Many bad words were said. Are there any plans to re-air this anywhere or will it be streamed online?

16. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates Well-Known Member

I don't know about your cable guide, but mine had something called Sochi Gold listed, I'm not sure when it changed to Nancy and Tonya, but I almost missed it, I double checked because I wouldn't be home when it aired and caught it just in time.

My favorite part of NBC's film was everyone laughing at what idiots they were. I loved Nancy pointing out the stupidity of flying cross country without any cash, and Connie Chung pointing that they used their real names to book hotel rooms and flights. Nancy was right when she said that she was lucky that these people were incapable of getting their act together.

As for Tonya, I felt bed for laughing at her because it's obvious that she has some serious issues, but she'll never deal with them because she has convince herself that she's fine, and that it's everyone else who has a problem. Her anger towards Nancy, and her obvious jealousy, scared me a little. It seemed like she was this close from saying Nancy got what she deserved.

17. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

The even funnier thing about it was that Tonya was clearly implying that Nancy was willing to cave and skate to Mozart (or other classical music) when that was actually the one area where Nancy drew the line - she would not skate to classical music because she hated it. I remember an Improv Ice where that was the category that's he drew and she was super unhappy about it. She actually had a nice program to Nessum Dorma that I thought really suited her, so it's too bad she put her foot down about classical music.

On the question of who has skated to Mozart, off the top of my head, Shawn Sawyer had a fantastic Mozart long program in 2008-09 and 2009-10, Malinina had a lovely SP in 1998-99 that showed she could have decent presentation when not saddled with a horrific Aladdin program, Gordeeva & Grinkov's 1988 free was a mix of Mozart and Mendelssohn, Miki Ando had an exhibition in 2009 that eventually became her SP in 2010 to Mozart's Requiem, and Petr Barna skated to the Amadeus soundtrack in 1988-89 (check out his awesome 1989 Euros free skate if you haven't seen it...it's up on YouTube and is fabulous). And Kurt Browning's 1991 Hindu War God short program also had a little bit of Mozart at the end (the flute-y section) but that's pretty short so I don't know if that counts. I know there are others...perhaps a "Skating to Mozart" thread is in order :D

18. neptune

Well, computers get hungry too. ;)

Statement 1) is definitely true--we have outside witnesses to that. I think 2) is true, because she was desperately trying to get away from Mom. Do I believe 3)? No.

Again, 1) has outside witnesses. And given what we know about victims of abuse, 2) is completely plausible and doesn't sound deceptive in the least.

I'm not sure I follow what you're saying here.

As I said, I don't buy that one. :)

Well, I don't believe a word of the "I didn't know anything about the attack" story, because it has zero corroboration.

Here's something to think about: If Tonya were lying about how awful her mom was, then why does she say such nice things about her father? I mean, why not invent a story how he molested her or something like that? After all, she claimed her half-brother tried to. And why doesn't she also claim that Dody Teachman tried to throw a knife at her after she bombed at a certain competition? ;) It's just too easy to claim that Tonya's entire story is false--it takes more effort to sift out what's true from what isn't.

19. snoopysnake

I once read (probably in Little Girls in Pretty Boxes) that when the US team was touring in Europe, they were invited to a special tour of The Vatican. Tonya was the only one who declined to go. When reminded that The Vatican was not just a religious place but a place of great art such as Michelangelo's ceiling of the Sistine Chapel, Tonya replied, "Who's Michelangelo?"

Rex and (deleted member) like this.
  20. neptune

Huh? I've never heard that one. In the interview from just a few months ago, Jeff said that he talked her into it. If you want, I can try to locate the article for you.

Again, this is news to me. Could you please provide some documentation?

21. neptune

Tonya said in the ESPN interview that she believes so. I think she would be in her late 60s.

Maybe they can't find her.

I think she needs the money. For instance, on the Tonya Harding FB page, she mentions that she's selling the tonyaharding.com (or something like that) domain for $3,500 because she needs the money. Or is that someone pretending to be Tonya? I honestly don't know. But if it's actually Tonya, that wouldn't be a surprise.

22. neptune

I wish I knew the answer for you. In fact, I'm still wondering when ESPN plans to re-air "The Price of Gold," since the last 10 minutes or so ran over because of a basketball game.

23. neptune

Well, didn't Tonya drop out of high school when she was about 15 or something? If so, it's not that surprising that she might not have heard of Michelangelo.

24. neptune

25. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

I learned of Michelangelo in Jr high in Japan....

26. Wyliefan

I knew someone around here would know! :respec:

27. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

28. Wyliefan

Yes, we mentioned Fumie and Carolina earlier. But we didn't have the link, so thanks for that!

29. neptune

Well, aren't kids learning calculus in junior high in Japan too? ;)

30. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

so much for travel being a great education