ESPN docum on Tonya-Nancy: 20 Years After on Thurs, Jan 16

Discussion in 'TV ALERTS' started by Frau Muller, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

I think part of the issue is she doesn't really prepare for these interviews, she has no "filters" and just says whatever comes into her head at that moment. I imagine that she is clueless that she contradicts herself.

2. neptune

neptune Well-Known Member

I think you're right. So not only did she not apply herself to her skating, she doesn't really apply herself to lying either. :lol:

Considering how consistently she seems to come up with "new" material in interviews, perhaps a fitting title for a biography of Tonya would be:

Oops, I Did It Again!! ;)

3. AYS

AYS Cruder than you thought

As stupid as she is. Her lack of self-knowledge and ability to lie, to others, but most importantly, to herself, is astounding.

I watched the rerun last night, it is so crazy to be reminded of all of this, it was pretty mindblowing when it all was happening.

4. neptune

This documentary is possibly being rebroadcast on Sunday, but it's hard to know for sure. If you click on the UPCOMING SCHEDULE link on the following page (scroll down a bit):

http://espn.go.com/30for30/film?page=thepriceofgold

then you will see "The Price of Gold" listed for 6 p.m. on Sunday night on ESPN. But then if you go to ESPN's detailed listing for 6 p.m. on Sunday night, you'll find: "30 For 30: One Night IN Vegas presented by Cadillac."

Is it normal for ESPN to have contradictory listings? :confused:

5. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

Yes, especially for the specials like 30 for 30. I've missed some I wanted to see when only following my on-screen listing when they said it would be one show, but it turned out to be another.

6. momnatur

momnatur Member

Neptune, thank you for that link.

I also noticed that on the top of the listing it says "All films available on WatchESPN." So for those of you who can get WatchESPN, you are not tied to a specific broadcast time.

7. neptune

OK, thanks. You'd think ESPN would get its act together, though. So, I guess at this point we can only guess what will air tomorrow at 6 p.m.

No problem--glad it helps! :)

I don't think I can get that, but that is cool for those who have the option.

Last night, I was watching what I taped of the program, and it was amusing to hear Jerry Solomon say that Nancy had the looks, grace, charisma, etc. When I heard charisma, I was thinking, "That's pretty funny!" :D I wonder how Nancy felt about Jerry giving an interview to ESPN when she refused? In fact, I also wonder how many times Nancy has wished that she had held out for someone else instead of settling for such an opportunist. ;)

Incidentally, does anyone know when the NBC special on Tonya and Nancy is supposed to air?

8. BaileyCatts

The only thing I've seen about when the NBC story will air is that it will be "during the Olympics", which I assume means at some point during NBC's two week coverage. :) I wish they would be more specific.

9. Susan1

Susan1 Active Member

Good luck. The first time I set it on the DVR, that is not the story that was there when I went to watch it. The second time, about a week later, they showed the correct one.

10. neptune

Oh, they're trying to bait viewers, I guess? Well, they'll have to say something specific eventually, or else their plan will backfire. :biggrinbo

How does this goofball company make any money? ;)

11. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

This is up on Netflix now

12. neptune

Thanks for the info.

Has anybody heard any news on the NBC Tonya 'n' Nancy interview yet? It's bizarre how they seem to be keeping the air date a secret.

13. cmk

cmk New Member

Without the scandal, Tonya would have skated a lot better and finished a lot higher than 8th. She was the only elgible woman at the time capable of doing the triple axel (Ito was competing in the pro ranks at the time), she was the best jumper, the best spinner, had awesome speed and power, and was a lot more artistic than she was ever given credit for. If she would have had the same skates as 94 nationals at the olympics, she might not of beat Oksana but if the judges were only judging the skating, she should definately have beaten Nancy (if Nancy would of even qualified without the whack- if I were a judge at us nationals, I would of had Tonya as champ, and Kwan and bobek would still have been on the podium, and I would have even given Zayak higher presentation marks than Kerrigan as well ( Zayak at least looked like she liked to skate).

Nancy's skating was not elegant or artistic- it was slow, labored, and awkard. The costumes were elegant , but I prefer that skaters be able to do spirals without having to hold their leg.

14. BaileyCatts

I only heard it mentioned one time when Bob Costas was still there (so had to be first couple days). He was talking to Mary after one of her stories and mentioned how its been 20 years since Tonya/Nancy and Mary had interviewed them both and it would be "coming up later in our coverage". That was the only time I've heard it mentioned.

I wonder how long it is? the ESPN one was 90 minutes. I don't see how they could do something longer than 10 minutes during Prime Time coverage (you know, a typical time allotment for skating /sarcasamoff). Unless it will maybe air on the last Saturday or Sunday, when there are very few events left and they need to kill time before the Closing Ceremony?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  15. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

If I had to guess, I would say it is likely to air during the Olympic coverage on Wednesday, 2/19, since that is the day the ladies are scheduled to skate their SPs and to commemorate the 1994 Olympic ladies' SP being the most highly watched Olympic ladies skating event in US history.

16. allegria

allegria Member

Found an article that mentions NBC's documentary. It's being held in reserve in case bad weather cancels events:

http://www.deadline.com/2014/02/mer...y-at-olympics-tonight-subbing-for-bob-costas/

17. neptune

She wasn't as good overall (including presentation) as she had been in previous years, but when she was on, her skating was still formidable. And yes, I do think she would have skated a lot better than she did, whether the judges would have rewarded her or not. It's sad, because Tonya completely sabotaged her own chances. :(

Actually, with the same two performances, she would've deserved to beat everyone IMO. Maybe not Kristi's and Midori's LP performances from '92 (but not that far behind either), but certainly everyone in Lillehammer.

I can see giving Zayak higher presentation marks than Kerrigan.

It wasn't as elegant or artistic as it was made out to be. Kerrigan did have a mature line and air about her, but if she had been only average-looking, I doubt she would've ever been called artistic.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  18. neptune

Hopefully at least three or four minutes. ;)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Carillo: Tonya, did you know about the attack beforehand?

Harding: What attack?

Carillo: Um...our coverage will return after a few words from your local station. (Psst! Yo, Jerry! Tell Nancy that she can come in now!!)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:D

Sounds like a good guess.

Thanks for the info. Isn't it sweet how we always have Tonya 'n' Nancy to fall back on? :)

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
    BaileyCatts and (deleted member) like this.
  19. neptune

20. neptune

21. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

Thank you! I just autotuned it. It's starting at 6 p.m. central here.

22. neptune

You're welcome. Hopefully there will be some interesting tidbits we haven't heard before. And I wonder what Tonya will say about the handwriting on the paper this time around. ;)

23. Susan1

Susan1 Active Member

This is supposed to be on Sunday night. Is it the same thing as the one that was just on one of the ESPNs?

24. BaileyCatts

^ Well, its the same 'story'. But it was done by NBC so ... different. :lol:

But it is not simply a repeat of the ESPN version. Mary Carillo did all the interviews and this was produced by NBC.

25. neptune

Right. I think one reason Nancy agreed to talk to NBC is that they convinced her they would give her a fair shake. Her response: "That's fine--just make it chocolate." :lol:

26. LuckyCharm

LuckyCharm Well-Known Member

NBC version just started. Anyone watching?

27. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I am, Lucky Charm. Tonya's karaoke was...unfortunate.

28. LuckyCharm

^:lol:Not sure why they felt the need to include that.:confused:

ETA: Jeff Gillooly sans mustache looks like a super nice guy. With it, he instantly becomes a comic book villain.

29. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

^^^I know, like Snidely Whiplash...

Tonya's 3axel was still something to see.

Christine Brennan's presence is sure to offend someone....

30. LuckyCharm

It did me, kinda.:shuffle: Not to mention Phil Hersh...

Nancy is adorably awkward, both 20 years ago and today.

:lol: at Tonya deriding Mozart.

And lying saying she didn't smoke while she was competing. Girl, just stop.