ESPN article on the Shibutanis

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by barbk, Oct 18, 2011.

1. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

2. query5

query5 New Member

this is shibutanis reminded me of watch me also in skating.

good article

3. reese

reese Well-Known Member

Naomi sounds like an intense mom! Taping all the practices, ballet studio at home... Yikes!

4. tlk

tlk Active Member

Nice article, thanks for posting. Hope they have a successful season!

5. maureenfarone

maureenfarone Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for posting the link. I really enjoy the Shibutanis. Hope they have a great season.

6. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

This was also a huge accomplishment of epic significance. Not just the winning of the bronze.

7. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Oh really?

8. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

Love the Shibs (GO BLUE!) as well as all the U.S./Canadian teams, but I hope they (and the Shpilband/Zoueva camp... judges and officials too) take this to heart:

Yes. Yes. Yes. 10,000 times over. :respec:

9. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

No kidding! She sounds like one of those intense crazy skater moms :yikes:

That said, Alex and Maia sound like lovely, mature people.

carolina and (deleted member) like this.
  10. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

Love the Shibutanis. Watching their programs in person from Moscow was a delight.

11. ros01

ros01 New Member

I really like them and I find their skating beautiful, but it's nice to see that they have a good relationship and fun personalities, too. Thanks for posting!

12. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

Love, love, LOVE the Shibutanis! (Or, as What the Buck says--Shibutinis!!)

13. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

I love them! I can't wait to see them this season.

[Side note: The Hubbells are not a team anymore!]

14. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Usually those are red flags, but Alex and Maia seem very well-adjusted and well-rounded from what we know about them publicly. I think they're fine. Maybe Naomi was being that way due to her academic background and she thought that studying things and trying to get things right, even down to the details and doing "homework" was the right approach.

I think it'd be one thing if all Alex and Maia did was skating and they didn't have anything else, but Alex is an undergrad at UoM and Maia is in an actual school and working on getting accepted to UoM. Alex also sounds like a pretty fun guy in his blogs. Not only that, but the article talks about how Maia and Alex do enjoy time off away from each other to do their own thing (though Alex lives in the same building, he lives in a separate apartment from Maia and their mom) so they aren't isolated with only skating on their mind even though it is probably the most important thing in their lives as of right now. I also think it's great that their dad visits them on weekends. We often hear how it's always the skater mom and skater living together while the dad is almost always away at home.